PDA

View Full Version : Victorian Coaliton Supports Essendon

CitationJet
19th Sep 2008, 02:29
VIC COALITION LAUNCHES ESSENDON AIRPORT PETITION
The Victorian Liberal Nationals Coalition has today launched a petition calling on the Brumby Labor Government to abandon its plan to close Essendon Airport.

Leader of The Nationals Peter Ryan said Essendon Airport was an important asset used by numerous aviation businesses, the Victorian Air Ambulance, the Royal Flying Doctor Service and the Victoria Police Air Wing.

“Many in the Victorian community were shocked earlier this month when Premier John Brumby confirmed that it was Labor’s policy to close Essendon Airport,” said Mr Ryan.

“Mr Brumby’s statement that Labor will seek to close the airport ‘in the medium-term’ was alarming news for the aviation community that uses the facility and for workers who are currently employed there.

“It also came as a shock for country and regional communities, who rely on Essendon Airport as a vital transit point in and out of Melbourne.

“Since breaking the news of this Labor policy I have received many calls from members of the wider community concerned about the implications of closing this important facility.

“In particular, many are concerned about removing an asset that provides an important and strategically located base for emergency services such as the Victorian Air Ambulance, the Royal Flying Doctor Service and the Victoria Police Air Wing.

“We have launched a petition today to enable people to send a message to the Labor Government that the closure of Essendon Airport is just not on.

“I would encourage all those who are concerned about this proposal to stop into the office of their local Coalition MP, sign the petition and register their objection to Labor’s plan.”

Mr Ryan said Labor’s policy was all about making a quick buck.

“There is no doubt many developers would be keen on getting their hands on the significant parcel of land that is Essendon Airport,” said Mr Ryan.

“However just because there are some who advocate the closure of the airport does not mean the Victorian Government should simply sell off an important state asset to the highest bidder.

“Labor’s plan to close Essendon Airport is short-sighted and a disgrace,” Mr Ryan said.

Nb: Petitions are available to sign at the office of your nearest Liberal or Nationals MP.

Capt Wally
19th Sep 2008, 02:45
'CJ' tnxs for that update.
I'm very confident that 'Dumby' & his ilk have little idea what they are doing anyway(typical labor) There's no way they will close EN in the near to medium future. The money that has been spent in recent times is staggering & the huge complexe that is still under construction at EN the combined Air Ambo's & Police Airwing is costing I believe in excess of $20Mil so would love to see 'Dumby' get that lot moved/explained!!
To move our operation to Tulla for Eg. not to mention several others would be insain, to please what? a few dummies who moved there (close to the rwys) in the first place? come on we sensible citizens are not pollies thank God.

EN is safe without doubt, I don't think the locals including 'Dumby' have any idea! As I've mentioned in other threads with this subject Mr Fox maybe 'cunning' but he ain't dumb like some pollies!

CW

bushy
19th Sep 2008, 03:46
Essendon airport and the RFDS are providing a service that allows country people to be flown to town for treatment.

This saves the government money, as they would otherwise have to spend huge sums building and staffing big hospitals in country towns.

They should build them anyway, but they are taking the cheap way out by using Essendon and the RFDS instead.

Hospitals will cost lots.

Jet Crew
4th Oct 2008, 02:17
Got this from there mailing list

Hello,

This is just a short email to advise you that the Save Essendon Airport Group will be holding a supporters meeting at Essendon airport on Friday October 17th at 3pm.

The leader of the Nationals Mr Peter Ryan will be in attendance to discuss what his government is doing to keep Essendon airport operating.

Supporters are welcome to express there concerns to Mr Ryan about the airport closing so he can put them on the table during parliament sittings.

Essendon Airport Corporation support this meeting 100% and have given us free use of the main passenger terminal to hold the meeting.

Can you please email us at [email protected] if you plan to attend this meeting. By emailing us your intentions to attend it will enable us to email you if the event has been re-scheduled or canceled.

Regards,
SEAG