PDA

View Full Version : Email Send/ Receive Problem

Tosh McCaber
18th Sep 2008, 21:39
We have a problem. My wife and I share the same email address. We often pass stuff by email from her Mac to my PC, and vice versa, with no problems. Then, this morning, for some reason, when she tried to pass an email to me, she had no success. She sent it, and, a few seconds later, a copy arrived back on her Mac. Nothing has so far, come over to my PC. She has tried sending two or three others, without success.

Similarly, I’ve tried to send out a test from my PC. It has not arrived, either at hers, nor mine. At the same time, I’ve been receiving emails from outside sources all day. I’ve looked at my account settings, and all seems well. Checked “Test Account Settings”, and got ticks in both outgoing and incoming. I’ve sent out several other emails today, which I hope arrived!

PS Just looked again, and it looks as though I appear to be receiving the Test account settings emails, (ie "Receiving 1of 2", "Receiving 2 of 2", etc.), but I can't see them?

Very confusing- I’m scratching my head!!? Anyone any thoughts?

Keef
18th Sep 2008, 22:22
You really mean the same e-mail address - like "[email protected]"?

Or the same domain with different bits in front of the @ sign?

Depending on who your ISP is, there are many clever things you can do - like have an address each ("[email protected]" and "[email protected]") and set the main one to forward all mail to both of those, and so on.

If two different machines are polling the same mail server, I can understand the server getting a bit confused as to who's read which e-mail.

Tosh McCaber
18th Sep 2008, 22:49
Thanks for that- Yes same address-never had a problem passing back and forth until today!

PS- just had another outside email come in- it's only the wife's that are not getting through!! Yes, I do want to hear from her!!

Background Noise
19th Sep 2008, 06:39
If you both have the same address, how do you 'pass' things from one to the other?

BOAC
19th Sep 2008, 07:41
Tosh - do you have any sort of anti-virus and does it have a spam filter? I have repeatedly come across people who 'receive' but do not 'see' emails because they are going into a 'spambox'. The settings for spam filters require care.

Tosh McCaber
19th Sep 2008, 08:59
Thanks. Update- 12 hours later-all incoming and outgoing emails to and from external sources are coming and going fine. My wife's computer receives my test emails that I send to ourselves (we share the same email address), my PC does not. Also, same thing with test emails from hers, sent to our own email address. She receives it back almost immediately, but nothing on mine. This has only occurred in the past 24 hours!!

In my Account settings, I have "Leave on Server" checked for 2 days, so I think that that should be OK?

Mornington Crescent
19th Sep 2008, 09:41
Tosh,

Had a similar problem.

Turned out it was the spam filter in Bt Yahoo that was intercepting that mail.

Are you by any chance with BT?

MC

Tosh McCaber
19th Sep 2008, 10:15
Just found that all the missing emails have been dumped in my Junk Mail folder!

Don't know why this would happen, all of a sudden!!

jimtherev
19th Sep 2008, 11:30
"Don't know why this would happen, all of a sudden!!"

You sound like an airbus pilot! :D