PDA

View Full Version : Memory Problems

heretic
14th Jun 2001, 12:54
Help
Just changed 2x32m for 2x128m on my celeron 300 and keep getting windows protection errors on bootup, including booting into safe mode eg msgsrv32 caused invalid page fault in module kernal32.dll and others. Tried to reload w98 and it froze halfway through loading setup. Boots into dos ok though.
Any ideas?

gas path
14th Jun 2001, 14:33
Hi Heretic
I had something similar recently and it relates to a corrupt/unloadable driver.
Maybe you disturbed something when swapping out the memory.
In fact DreamCatcher suggested one of the causes could be poorly seated RAM.
hope thats of some help!

edit for typo!!

[This message has been edited by gas path (edited 14 June 2001).]

Tinstaafl
14th Jun 2001, 18:24
Try fault finding:

Remove & replace both new RAM modules to make sure they are each seated correctly. You can also try swapping memory slots.

If that doesn't work replace the both new modules with the old memory & check to see that the PC works correctly in its old configuration.

If it does then replace the old memory with ONE of the new modules. Check how the PC functions.

If OK replace the new, working module with the other new module. Again, check the PC is functioning OK.

Try both modules again or in combination with the old modules.

Just a thought, but are both modules the same as each other OR the old memory ie 66/100/133 MHz or parity/non-parity? Might make a difference.

Man-on-the-fence
14th Jun 2001, 19:09
Tinsaafi has hit the nail on the head. Its just possible that you fried (or it was fried anyway) the memory sticks as you put them in. ESD is a major cause of component failure in these cases.

While 133KHz memory will work in a 100KHz system, 66 wont work in a 100 or 133 and 100 wont work in a 133 (still following me?)

When you pull the sticks out (after first putting your hand on the Power supply box to ground yourself - you will be wearing rubber soled shoes wont you :) ) check if there is a label on them. you should get a speed reading on it. If it isnt clear post as good a representation of what is written on the stick here or mail me.

heretic
14th Jun 2001, 20:26
Now back on original RAM and computer booted OK from hard disk. I tried various combinations of the ram. In all cases I could boot into dos and using the rescue floppy could access the cdrom. I tried to reinstall w98 and in most cases got thro scandsk ok but in all cases the machine stalled while loading w98 setup with some some screen corruption. I suspect the new ram may be too fast for the system. The strips are coded MS3828UPM PC133 NO Rip for valid RMA. TA for replies.

Man-on-the-fence
14th Jun 2001, 23:02
If you laoded PC133 on a PC66 then in theory the new RAM would run at PC66.
Are you sure you do not have parity RAM? and are you sure you are loading SDRAM?
Celeron should run at PC66 so i guess it may be a bit fast.

[This message has been edited by Man-on-the-fence (edited 14 June 2001).]