PDA

View Full Version : help for a very confused individual?!?!

vick_7ca
18th Sep 2008, 16:29
Hey guys, I'm relatively new to this website. I posted this up on quite a few forums just to get a feel of what kind of response i get....basically I'm 20 years old, in university doing a degree in commerce, majoring in marketing/hr. Ever since I was a young child, I've wanted to be a commercial pilot, but I've always felt it was a dream too far out of my reach. I decided id work as close as I could to planes as possible, and now I have a p/t job with an airline. But at the same time this has all brought back all those thoughts of becoming a pilot, they're just so damn cool.

But the question is....is it realistic that I still have a chance of becoming a commercial pilot? I plan to finish my degree, and i will probably be 22/23 once I'm done. I haven't flown at all, except for an introductory flight lesson i took, and i loved it. I would love to fly in India somewhere, i'm actually Canadian born an raised, but my parents are from India, and its a place i'm very comfortable with. As stupid it may seem, I always aim high, so flying turboprops isn't really my thing, no offense to anyone, but i know thats where i might have to start but the big jets are where id hope to see myself one day if i do choose to go down this career path... I know i may be dreaming, and its hard to get a chance to fly those big jets..but id love to here some of your advice, or warnings..whatever it may be haha..

so in conclusion...

-what kinds of costs am i looking at, if i choose to fufill my dream
-how long would the training and etc take..b4 im in the right hand seat
-i dont mind being a FO my whole life, but realistically what are the chances i could fly a b777, w/ air india, jet etc..
-where should i complete my flight training, at home in canada..or india?
-i could easily get dual citizenship..would that increase my chances?
-if i choose to make the switch, i would potentially be saying no to a $100 000, marketing/hr job...stupid on my part?

thanks guys..im sorry for rambling on like an idiot..please feel free to contact me through pm also, i really appreciate it..