PDA

View Full Version : Air Cadet 'Sponsored speed march'...In aid of Help for Heroes

NDW
18th Sep 2008, 17:04
Afternoon all ,

I have been currently planning a sponsored speed march with My air cadet squadron in aid of the ' Help for Heroes' campaign.
I have recently been promoted to Cadet Sergeant and as soon as this happened I instantly organised this event.
I have already sratted my physical training for it e.g. Walks , Runs and basic Physical.
And It will hopefully be taking place early next year. I was just wondering who would be generous enough to give small donations to making this speed march happen.

Yours faithfully

Nathan

Chalkstripe
19th Sep 2008, 13:28
NDW

Congratulations on your promotion.

Would suggest that the easiest way to get sponsorship would be to set up a page on justgiving.com (or something similar). Make sure that you give details of who you are, what you are doing (be sure to sell it by explaining how difficult it will be), and who's behalf you are doing it. attach suitable links for all of the above.

Doing it via just giving is an easy way for people to donate, and it's very easy for UK tax payers to gift aid their donation, ensuring that greedy gordon, and his cronies in No.11, return some of our hard earned tax to a worthy cause.
Hope that helps a bit and good luck.

Chalkstripe

B_Fawlty
19th Sep 2008, 22:47
First & foremost Nathan, well done on taking the initiative and for organising the event. I hope it goes well, that you enjoy every aspect of it and that you raise lot of money for Help for Heroes too! :D

However, a word of caution on the depressingly ubiquitous justgiving (perhaps that should be "just taking"). Justgiving are a private, for-profit company who essentially make money out of other peoples' charitable donations. This aspect of Justgiving's business is not at all well known it seems. Indeed, it was only brought to my attention by a local charity who I wanted to raise funds for via Justgiving. The charity told me that they refused to co-operate with Justigiving for that very reason.
Simply, people should be able to expect that ALL of their donation reach the charity to which they donate and not have 5% of it creamed off by the likes of JustGiving. Perhaps the National Lottery could be used to fund a not-for-profit equivalent that could put the parasites out of business? There's an idea :E

I wouldn't want this issue to detract from your endeavour and although every penny raised for such worthy causes is always useful, I find it disturbing that the likes of Justgiving's owners see nothing wrong with what they do to "earn" a living :yuk:

Once again Nathan, all the best! :ok:

NDW
21st Sep 2008, 17:49
Thanks for your reply's back :ok:

Am now in process of informing H.F.H about various information about the speed march , and hopefully it should be ready for next year.

Thanks for support.

:ok:

Chalkstripe
22nd Sep 2008, 13:49
B Fawlty - many thanks for your info ref justgiving - I didn't realise that they creamed off a commission (although perhaps I should have expected that) - duly warned.

regards

CS

airborne_artist
22nd Sep 2008, 14:08
However, even if JG do cream off 5%, if you've increased your donations by a large percentage by making use of their internet and credit/debit card facilities, and having the admin reduced by just getting one bank payment as opposed to loads of small cheques, then perhaps 5% is worth it.

Which is better 100% of not a lot, or 95% of a lot more? If H4H end up getting a much larger amount, what's the point of having a hissy fit over JG's 5%? It's called cutting off your nose..

Al R
22nd Sep 2008, 14:49
Good luck Nathan.. you're welcome to a few bob from me. If I miss this in the future, drop me a PM when you've done it.

B_Fawlty
23rd Sep 2008, 12:56
Which is better 100% of not a lot, or 95% of a lot more? If H4H end up getting a much larger amount, what's the point of having a hissy fit over JG's 5%? It's called cutting off your nose..

I did actually make that point in my post A_A though maybe not as emphatically as you have! It is a judgement call and wherever possible I ensure any donation I make to a charity goes via the most efficient route possible. If the only way is via the gougers at justgiving, then so be it.

They often make the claim that their 5% creamed off the top covers the admin of dealing with reclaiming gift-aid relief. The truth of the matter is all that is required on a donation form is the donater's name, address and ticked consent that they are a UK tax payer and they wish the tax on their donation to be reclaimed and paid to the charity. When I organised my own event, it took me all of 5 seconds to cut and paste the wording onto the form. Over and above the fact that it raised additional funds for the charity in question, it also meant that they recieved 60 odd that Justgiving would otherwise have trousered to account for all their "hard work" :suspect:

airborne_artist
23rd Sep 2008, 13:00
There's still the ease of pointing your donors at the JG page, and the fact that they can pay by card online in seconds, which is easier than writing a cheque, putting it in an envelope and then finding stamp and postbox!

Zoom
23rd Sep 2008, 16:39
...Justgiving's owners see nothing wrong with what they do to "earn" a living.

Most of the fund-raising that we see and subscribe to is administered by salaried workers earning a living, backed up by networks of unpaid volunteers. They raise big money and raising big money is a professional business; nothing is free nowadays, not even charity. If Justgiving can increase that money, that's terrific. They have come up with a great time-saving idea which undoubtedly increases the charity pot, and they charge a very reasonable commission for the service so that they can cover their costs and 'earn a living'. And believe me, commission-wise 5% is small; all of the businesses to whom I pay commission charge me 10-20% with VAT on top. And I'm sure that most of you would rather pay 5% to Justgiving for a positive result than, for example, feel obliged to tip a taxi driver 3 or 4 times that for doing s*d all.

Best of luck, NDW.

airborne_artist
23rd Sep 2008, 18:16
My Mum was an area organiser for a large naval charity. She had a fund-raising target of X, and her cost (though not on commission) was about half of that.

B_Fawlty
23rd Sep 2008, 19:10
Just to make it clear(er), I have no issue whatsoever with employees of charities who effectively. I came into contact with the administrator of the charity I wanted to raise funds for (it was her who told me about Justgiving's take). She is a veritable dynamo and her salary was paid by a local company
who also provided her with an office. All this was for a fairly local charity here in the north east of Scotland and admittedly, not all charities might be as fortunate in that respect.
All the same, I see a world of a difference between those who actively participate in the raising of funds and it's administration (ie the employees, trustees etc), in effect "force mulitipliers" of a sort, and those whose involvement is somewhat less tangible.
10 million in donations that justgiving have reportedly processed might on the surface appear to be a wholly good thing, and by and large it is. I expect that if there had been no such thing as justgiving, 99.99% of that 10 million would still have gone to charity. A rather bold claim perhaps but it has been reported that donations to charity have been falling year on year for some time now and I'm sure we all managed to do our bit when it came to can rattlers and firing a cheque off in the post in those pre-interweb days.
Finally, 5% of the 10 million amounts to 500,000. I hardly think that a couple of servers and a competent web developer would put much of a dent into that :eek:. A tidy profit for not much outlay. I'd be the first to applaud if it was a normal commercial enterprise but, to the accompaniment of a dead dobbin being heartily flogged in the background, I've already made my perhaps outdated views clear on that topic. :O

Zoom
23rd Sep 2008, 21:24
We believe in giving all charities the same opportunity to raise huge amounts of money, including the smaller ones who cant afford to spend lots of money on technology, freeing them up to concentrate on whats important whether its medical research or running the local playgroup.

It took us five years to break even, and our investors have yet to get a penny back were very grateful to them for taking a pretty big risk and putting up with losses of 5 million to get us here.

I have lifted the above from the Justgiving website, so you can all decide if the statement below is justified:

A tidy profit for not much outlay.

Down, Dobbin, down!

B_Fawlty
25th Sep 2008, 12:59
Oh no, Dobbin has bolted..:}

It took us five years to break even, and our investors have yet to get a penny back were very grateful to them for taking a pretty big risk and putting up with losses of 5 million to get us here.

Call me cynical but I'd hardly expect them to say otherwise. I'm just a little sceptical as to what capital costs and/or overheads they incurred that set them back to the tune of 5 million. :hmm:

Anyway, this debate appears to have hijacked the noble intentions of Nathan. I'm sorry for that, especially as the thread has now been moved. I just thought it was worth pointing out a few aspects of Justgiving's operation that not everyone appreciates.

Again Nathan, all the best with your speed-march. Please keep us up to date on the original forum.