PDA

View Full Version : Puters. As smart as we think?

Rollingthunder
12th Jun 2001, 04:50
If they are, why am I typing this instead of dictating it?

Slasher
12th Jun 2001, 06:06
Because Dr Richard Daestrom hasnt been born yet!

18Wheeler
12th Jun 2001, 13:10
There's plenty of voice recognition software out there, just look. ;)
I think the name of one of the better ones is "Dragon Speak" ???

gas path
12th Jun 2001, 16:57
Off on a tangent a bit......but what is really scary is that in about 20 years time your average pc will know what your wanting to do before you do!! and will probably have done it before you've even switched it on.
Yet the B777 and Airbus aircraft (of today) will still be running 386 processors ;)

fobotcso
12th Jun 2001, 17:04
Better still, why would you want to dictate it? Why not just think it and see it appear on the screen?

But then I would still have to read it. There must be a better way. So why not have the ablity to be able to sense what others are thinking. Of course, all under the control of computers but saving all those keyboards and monitors!

What was it you wanted to say? :)

Icarus
12th Jun 2001, 18:21
Computers will never be as smart as you or I have the potential to be.
They will need conciousness; and of course once that is achieved they will no longer be computers; they will be what you and I have the potential to be but never were!

Rollingthunder
13th Jun 2001, 05:26
Slasher, a remarkably obscure reference. Episode 53? 1968?

Enterprise draws the dubious honor of field-testing the multitronics computer system of Dr. Richard Daystrom, the genius who as a young man created the breakthrough duotronic system used by all Starfleet craft. Daystrom, obsessed for years with topping his earlier success, designed the automated M-5 to replace living crews on starship -- and it seems posed to do just that, relegating Kirk to a relic. Then trouble looms: unable to distinguish simulations from reality, M-5 bears down fully armed on unsuspecting war games ships -- and even Daystrom cannot head off his creation. Kirk is faced with outfoxing a computer before his fellow captains are forced to destroy his ship -- if they can.

The Keg
13th Jun 2001, 08:35
sorry, test post only

[This message has been edited by The Keg (edited 13 June 2001).]