PDA

View Full Version : Engineering Opportunities

EL_NINO
18th Sep 2008, 03:59
Hi all,

I am currently a maintenance engineer in the automotive industry (electrically biased) but have always been interested in Aviation. I have been seriously contemplating starting again and fulfilling my ambition of becoming an aircraft engineer.

My question is how easy would it be to convert and what would be the best way of doing this? Prefrebly into Unlicensed line maintenance.

I am 29 yrs old with a HND in electrical/electronic engineering. I also have certifications in Hydraulics/Pneumatics plus a whole range of certifications in computer programming etc which may not be relevent.

Any information would be fantastic

Thanks very much for your help.

grababadger
18th Sep 2008, 13:39
You can go back to college and do a 2 year course at bristol or kingston if you want to be a B2 engineer(avionics) or if you want B1 (mechanical) then you could go to newcastle as well.

If you dont want to go back to college then Monarch do an adult training course, where you could re-train whilst being paid, but the wages are not that good and you would end up as a fitter not licensed.

Ideally if you want to be serious about a career as an aircraft engineer then you should be thinking about being licensed. Either way you will need 2-5 years practical hands on aircraft practise before you can apply for your license.

Any questions just pm me and ill be happy to answer where I can.

EL_NINO
19th Sep 2008, 01:55
Thanks very much for your reply.

I wish i had took that route from the start, big step going back to college and lower pay etc but if i want it that much then thats the route. Just thought with my current qualifications i might be advanced slightly and a kind employer might give me the chance to prove my worth! :) I did some cold calling back in 2001 and BMI at EMA gave me the opportunity to have an informal chat with the head of engineering and it went well, then bang the airline industry took a blow and i was knocked back. Dissapointed but nows the time to try again.

Thanks again for the info.

matkat
19th Sep 2008, 08:20
If you wish to progress along the un-licensed route than I am sure someone will take you on and give you a chance but as far as the licensed route goes it does not matter about a "kind" employer as there is no short cuts in this business your automotive experience will give you no credit at all even ex military aircraft techs have to go through all the exams and meet the experience requirements to obtain a licence.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

grababadger
19th Sep 2008, 18:01
Just had a thought, you could go through an agency as a semi-skilled fitter about 8-12 per hour. If you go on aviation job search, you will find a list of all the agencies on there. Aviation Jobs. Aerospace Jobs. Jobs in Aviation. Pilots Jobs (http://www.aviationjobsearch.com/)

YODI
21st Sep 2008, 07:24
Hi mate,

Im exactly like you.. I am 29 years old and have worked on cars and bikes since I was 16, in January this year I got a job as a Light aircraft engineer and its the best thing I have done.. I am not going to college for it as I can't afford 2 years out of my life (wife and 2 kids) but am learning on the job, I need a minimum of 3 years on job anyway so it works out well.

I am currently doing my PPL and as soon as I finish that I will start studying for my Engineers license, if you are interested in aviation and fettling with Planes then do it... Its a great move

Regards