PDA

View Full Version : FS2000 What Joystick?

Capt Wannabe
2nd Apr 2000, 04:46
Can anyone recommend a joystick for FS2000, I want something that is USB and preferably reasonably priced, but good enough for an accurate simulation.
Many thanks.

DB6
6th Apr 2000, 01:11
The Microsoft Precision Pro works well - it configures automatically for FS2000 and is USB and serial (adaptor). Also it has a twisty stick so you can use the rudder. Cost about £40 I think. I had a Saitek Cyborg 3D before which was good too but the trigger is a bit too delicate if you're trying to blast anything and get a bit too involved.
BANZAI ! DB6

spannersatcx
6th Apr 2000, 18:18
If you want force feedback as well try the logitech wingman has usb connector as well around GBP70

Snigs
6th Apr 2000, 20:54
spanners, I'm just about to buy a joystick for use with FS2000 and I was leaning towards the MS Precision Pro force feedback, do you know whether it is as good/better/worse than the logitech wingman (ignoring the difference in price)?

And forgive my ignorance, but what is USB? http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

------------------
I'll just go and get my coat....

spannersatcx
7th Apr 2000, 00:09
Snigs I have a MS FF PP, the reason I suggested the Logitech was because Capt Wannabee preferred USB, and to the best of my knowledge MS FF PP only comes with a D connector. I personally like the MS one (god I hate saying I like MS stuff) seems pretty responsive/solid/well made etc. One word of caution if your gameport is through your soundcard check for compatability issue at the MS site. Someone on here (sorry can't remember whoi) had real problems and although the soundcard was 'sounblaster compatable' it is regarding sound but the chipset caused no end of problems as a game control port.
USB is Universal Serial Bus, it allows you to hot connect/disconnect peripherals without shutting the pc down. It is faster than a standard serial port, although it's been around a few years it has only really taken off in the last 6-12 months, you can now get USB Mice/printers/scanners/joysticks, you can download pics from your digi cam etc etc. USB is only supported in W95(OSR2) W98 and W2K, (and Imac's) earlier versions of W95 and NT don't support USB. How do you know you've got it, look at the back of your pc where all the connectors go and if you have it you will see either 1 or 2 oblong shaped holes not too didimilar to a phone socket. You can also have look in device manager and at the bottom will be an icon looks like a 3 pronged fork with usb control bus by it. It needs to be activated in your BIOS before it will work in windows. I think that's about it, hope that helps, just to confuse things even more USB 2.0 is just around the corner, supposed to be faster and backwards compatible.

spannersatcx
13th Apr 2000, 22:01
Capt wannabe if you're still lokking, PC World Easter special, Logitech Wingman Pro Force feedback, £49.99 this weekend

Lucky Angel
18th Apr 2000, 12:50
I am using a very simple joystick with throttle that just cost me £29 . Do not buy a feedback one they get very sensitive and dodgy and it is very easy to lose control especially with Combat games. And feedback does not feel real at all. I use Pc Phantom. It is rally good.I suggest the cheaper and the simplest , the better.. PS Do not buy a yoke they are the worst..

Good luck !

fatboy slim
20th Apr 2000, 00:46
I'm in the Logitech Wingman fanclub too.