FMM910
17th Sep 2008, 20:10
https://www.jet2.com/Content/EN/News/20051213/Jetaway_Captain_Morgan.pdf

taxydual
17th Sep 2008, 21:36
What a 'Rum' sort of story.

taxydual
17th Sep 2008, 21:41
Apologies to Captain Morgan. My last post was a cheap crack.

Oh. Has anyone any Coke?

brit bus driver
17th Sep 2008, 21:50
Any good stories?

Good question....certainly not in that article!! Perhaps Jet2 can't afford newspapers in the current climate!

Plus you don't need a degree to join the RAF (or do you now?).

Zoom
17th Sep 2008, 21:55
“You have all
the excitement you need by getting 140-
plus passengers to their destination
comfortably and safely.”

Yeah, right.

FMM910
18th Sep 2008, 11:36
I believe he has had quite a career; SAS in the Falklands, played International rugby for Wales etc etc - or so he has said.

BEagle
18th Sep 2008, 11:49
I was on the same Vulcan squadron in 1977......
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg

A pleasant enough fellow and his crew obtained the squadron's best bombing scores.

But, as regards to some of his other claims, sadly the words Mitty and Walter spring to mind.

Dengue_Dude
18th Sep 2008, 21:20
. . . what brought all this on then?

DD

Fareastdriver
19th Sep 2008, 13:54
Because I am a contract pilot and work in various parts of the world with a handfull of licences I spend a lot of time as SLF with most major airlines in this world. All of them have in-flight magazines and most of them have similar articles about what various members of the company do. This is just another one.

So what did he do wrong?

The article is perfectly straightforward and gives a rundown of how he has ended up doing what he does and how he does it. Somebody posts it on prune and the vultures start picking it over introducing statements that are pure imagination.

How could he be a SAS trooper in the Falklands and a Vulcan captain in the throes of the end of the aircraft's service at the same time? If he had been any good at rugby the last place the RAF would have posted him would be to 1 Group. How could he claim to be either? He obviously didn't.

Banter is banter and ragging is ragging but to accuse people of being a Walter Mitty when they are just doing their job to make a buck is pure malice.

Thank God I work in parts of the World where success is admired and congratulated and not sneered at by jealous failures.

Rossian
19th Sep 2008, 14:54
Fareastdriver:
I think you and I are sitting on the outside of this little group of peeps who know this guy a bit. I must confess I haven't seen any ref. to his being in the SAS in the article in the original p*st. There seems to be a tone of "snidery" in a few of the above p8sts which demeans the people who sent them. I feel rather sad sometimes, reading this section of Pprune, as I had a wonderful time in the RAF for 37 years as aircrew; and the rapidity and frequency with which subjects descend in to "bitch-fests" with often obscene ad hominem attacks is quite unlike the service as I remember it.
The Ancient Mariner
PS I had only one page showed up from the link _ were there more?

Monty77
19th Sep 2008, 16:43
Once again, I fear that anonymous and unannounced deletion of posts by unidentified Mods has rendered a thread unintelligible to readers.

Fine, not my trainset.

It happened a year ago on a 'gay' discussion where things were written which were of an opposing view but but not 'in the spirit' of inclusion. We shall never know. They were deleted, and consequently the discussion appeared quite random with references to deleted posts.

You couldn't tell your arse from your armpit.

I thought that was the aim?

Nothing has been deleted from this thread. Continue to play with your trainset uninhibited by fear.

SRENNAPS
19th Sep 2008, 20:00
Well said Monty:ok:

Dendmar
21st Sep 2008, 05:02
I agree with Rossian; there are people out there who know this person from his past lives. As Beagle intimates, a WM character, which is amusing, there sometimes has been a deeper problem that has had a major detrimental affect on other peoples' lives. Overall, I suppose, it is better left 'out of mind out of sight' - he obviously does.

olmaka
21st Sep 2008, 08:07
Wayne Morgan does not show up on the Welsh Rugby Union player archive?

WRU: Searchable Wales Player Archive (http://www.wru.co.uk/12750_14256.php?includeref=dynamic&searchinit=M)

threeputt
21st Sep 2008, 09:16
Check your PM's

3P:ok:

AR1
25th Sep 2008, 15:57
Ahh come on, a little embellishment on the CV never harmed anybody. Mind you if my boss ever finds out there is no tail gunner on a Harrier, i'm up sh*t creek.

Monty77
25th Sep 2008, 17:09
OK.

Just back after a few days away to see a MOD has inserted his/her input to assure me that nothing has been deleted and the trainset is fine, continue playing.

Thanks, Mum/Dad.

Like I say, it's not my trainset, and I do like to watch and sometimes join in.

Dear Mod.

Is there any way I can see your profile? Are you ex-mil? Or Ryanair?

I'm not being arrsey, but some stuff has been deleted over the years and one suspects an agenda or two.

A few years ago, in the spirit of banter you get on a squadron, I described a Scottish poster of being a 'porridge wog', in response to being described as a 'limp-wristed sassenach poof house'.

There was no offence intended on either side, none was taken. This is, after all the mil section of an aircrew rumour site.

I appreciate name-calling can be considered a bit play ground in the cold light of day, but you only banter people you like, you take the p*ss out of those you don't, and there's a difference.

When you delete a post, or add to it, please put in a quick, 'Deleted for racist nonsense'/ 'Deleted because I disagree'.

It makes it easier for people to keep track of what's going on.

Or don't. I have no say in the matter.

Great site despite all the above.:ok:

johnfairr
25th Sep 2008, 19:58
Monty,

That was one of the simplest, yet most effective posts I've seen in a few years on here. MODs, a response would be appreciated, as this is a very valid point. Mind you, as Monty says, if you don't want to, then it is your train set, after all! :sad::sad:

Monty77
5th Oct 2008, 20:42
I visit this site, but,

Who is the Mod who wrote:

Nothing has been deleted from this thread. Continue to play with your trainset uninhibited by fear.

Dear Mod.

I have no fear. It's not my trainset, it's yours.
Posts HAVE been deleted from this and other threads by you, and others with the ability to do so.

It's not unreasonable to ask why.

When you delete posts you totally cock up (if that's OK with you) the THREAD of the discussion.

Zoom
5th Oct 2008, 20:54
Is it not the case that posters can delete their own posts? I'm sure I've done it when I've written real b*ll*cks. I would like to see the post numbering sequence maintained when a post is deleted so that it is obvious to all that something has gone; and than we could understand why a thread has suddenly lost all logic.

This is Post #20, BTW.

Monty77
8th Oct 2008, 18:44
Zoom

Agree.

We've all posted stuff when under the influence and look at the post in the cold light of day, thinking, 'Was I that much of an arse?'.

Damn right. Then it's flowers and apologies all round. Most of us have been there (except the boring bastards destined for Air Rank). With one or two exceptions.

This is post 33.

Monty77
8th Oct 2008, 18:55
Well it looks like the posts in the '20s took a bit of a hit.

OK, I am being disingenuous.

We all have profiles here, and they can reveal all or nothing. I am being honest when I say I am an ex-military (RAF) pilot who retired within the last ten years.

Will the MOD/s who moderate this paritcular forum please indicate their backgrounds. Roughly.

Polite request: if you delete stuff, say why.

Monty77
8th Oct 2008, 18:57
Paritcular is a new word I invented today.

It comes from the Latin, particular, meaning, literally, 'that bit there'.

OK?

airmail
8th Oct 2008, 21:25
A quick question if I may with regards to the original post (and I would like to add that I do not know the gentleman concerned). It states in the leaflet that he is 55 and that he joined the RAF in 1969. OK so far but then further down it says that he had a degree when he joined.

If we assume that this was printed in 2008 then he was born in 1953, joined the RAF at 16 but also had a degree at that age. Is that possible?

50+Ray
9th Oct 2008, 04:54
The gentleman referred to in the original post was a Cranwell cadet, and was on either 100, or 101 entry( the last one of the old scheme). He did not have a degree when I knew him, but.......
WM?
Ray

radar101
9th Oct 2008, 06:45
airmail,

It does not say he had a degree when he joined - quote

"Solid O-levels with basic physics and maths is probably sufficient education, Captain Morgan replied, however if you are going to take
the RAF route, as he did, then you will need a degree."

Which is looking at someone joining today. He is wrong of course, you don't need a degree - but it might help!

airmail
9th Oct 2008, 07:55
Cheers R101, didn't think of it that way although its a bit ambiguous!

FMM910
9th Oct 2008, 12:35
Allegedly a good 'story teller' in the RAF and especially in Saudi Arabia where allegedly caused some problems there for colleagues and ultimately for himself ......

Dengue_Dude
1st Apr 2009, 16:02
Just trawling old posts.

You can't leave us 'dangling' (although you did) - tell us more ???

OVERTALK
8th Oct 2010, 12:21
IMHO one individual most likely to have disappeared mysteriously to the sound of a mind-numbing and shattering sound of global applause. The fact that he hasn't yet [AFAIK] is equally disturbing. There are some American traditions (of poseur disposition) that are quite appealing in this regard.

"disposition" :: final settlement of a matter.

More detail at:

tinyurl.com/2e68xpq

Dengue_Dude
8th Oct 2010, 12:38
He's at Avient on the MD11.

Big Sy
9th Oct 2010, 10:08
Well i've met the guy when he was the captain on a flight from IBZ to LBA. What a breath of fresh air ! He greeted all the passengers boarding, and thanked them all as they disembarked. Pilots from all the budgets should take a leaf out of his book. :ok:

Samuel
9th Oct 2010, 18:34
Pilots from all the budgets should take a leaf out of his book.

Nah! Fly Soundsair from Wellington to Picton [across Cook Strait] and the guy that takes your ticket and checks you in, loads your bag into the Cessna Caravan, and offers you the empty right-hand seat, is the Captain himself!

Sorry for the thread drift...

Dengue_Dude
11th Oct 2010, 16:20
What a breath of fresh air ! He greeted all the passengers boarding, and thanked them all as they disembarked. Pilots from all the budgets should take a leaf out of his book.

Apart from the surface 'hero worship' stuff, perhaps you need to know him a little better before you imply others should emulate his behaviour.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

So I don't expect you to change your mind, but many of us have known him reasonably well and his glancing blows with reality. He has a massive 'self destruct' button which he's determined to push.

He's courting being a lonely old man at the rate he's going. Sad really as he can be charming company.

sled dog
11th Oct 2010, 19:42
Is he good at his job ? If yes, what is the problem ? Is he a danger ?

PPRuNe Pop
11th Oct 2010, 21:47
This thread has been about for over two years with about as much interest as a cat in moult.

It is now closed.