PDA

View Full Version : iExploring NOT

Loose rivets
17th Sep 2008, 17:34
Following an update of Firefox, I noticed that the MS product had simply disappeared.

It was right beside FF and a detailed search of C: and D: do not show an .exe file

I downloaded ver 7. it seemed to unzip but still no sine of the exe file. One is perplexed.

Could FF have nobbled its competitor?

Where should the exe file be? (OS in C: Prog files in D: )

BTW I tried unpacking the V7 having moved it to C:\ it also told me it couldn't install the updates. A clue? But get this...it seemed to use iExplorer to talk to headquarters, but maybe that was a temp offering. One is lost.

Why do I want it? The Rivetess uses it:(

BOAC
17th Sep 2008, 20:06
"??:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

Loose rivets
17th Sep 2008, 20:36
Nope...however, there is.

Ccolon\Program Files\Internet Explorer\en-US\iexplor.exe.mui

Any idea what this is? It's 560k

IE7- Windows XP -86-enu.exe This is what I downloaded, and it seems to go though a logical process of unpacking

EDIT. The odd thing is that a search takes a reasonable time in Cdrive, but only a couple of seconds in D. The same in E, and there are gigabites of pics in that drive.:confused:

Does it know not to bother with some folders?

BOAC
17th Sep 2008, 22:33
Strange - can you uninstall it and revert to ie6 for another go? .mui is a multi-language install file. Check you have XP SP2 or are you a Vista house?

Loose rivets
17th Sep 2008, 23:18
Well, I'm on this coppy of XP Pro that I have been discussing. It is supposed to be right up to date. It's a mess-around disc so not too important if it has to be wiped. Come to think of it, some updates have been arriving from MS despite the above statement, so just maybe, that's what happened.

Good idea on starting afresh, but there is simply nothing to uninstall. A fully fuctioning program has ceased to exist, and does not want to be put back.

It seems spooky, but my lack of recency is probably to blame. Heck, I stopped serious computing with DOS 6.22 This is one of the reasons to have a learning disc. Not giving me much confidence though.:ugh:

Keef
18th Sep 2008, 00:02
IE does tend to do that. I think it's called "hiding its head in shame".

Try a search for iexplore.exe - it can't have simply disappeared: Firefox doesn't do that.

Mine's in C: \Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe if that's any help.

Bushfiva
18th Sep 2008, 00:40
.mui files are multilanguageresource files for versions of XP and Vista that support a multilingual user interface.

Farrell
18th Sep 2008, 01:28
Buy a Mac.

Seriously...anyone who uses a computer to just surf the web, email, chat, watch movies, listen to music and run office software, and who doesn't change over to Mac is quite simply....retarded.

Loose rivets
18th Sep 2008, 03:14
My D-I-L's new super duper Mac certainly looks good. But it's 4 times the price of a comparative machine. $3,600 buckeroos, but was a pressie from her mum.

At home I had a Fujitsu Core2 Duo Centrino 2gig 250 gig for 400 quid inc VAT. That's a lot of meggaflops per shilling.

Tried that Keef It's just that search scorching though the other logical drives that worries me. Just can't have really scanned in them.

erm, one is going to modify that double extension file and see what happens.

Loose rivets
18th Sep 2008, 04:34
Well, taking the second extension off didn't work, so I ran the entire ver7 upgrage again, including all the updates. 5 mins later I was still looking for the file.

This time I looked in C Windows ie7 updates\ KB953838-IE7 And lo, in there was the file! I felt the need to move it to the proper place, but a thought struck me. In KB etc, there are 49 files, mostly dlls What if the new copy needs these for all its new functions. The few that I've tried seem to work...the map and stuff like that. But what the Dickens is the other stuff for, and does a 'normal' copy of XL have that directory?

Sheeesh, since getting to Texas, I haven't done a thing but fight back a rain forest, and play with this computer. Book will never get writ. :(