PDA

View Full Version : So we thought, let's go to Papua.....

halas
17th Sep 2008, 16:53
What do reckon on this one?

Aust pilot fined over illegal Papua landing - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/09/17/2367524.htm)

halas

Gordstar
17th Sep 2008, 19:38
They flew to Merauke (pardon my spelling), crikey, why would you!

Tourism, hmmmmmmm

I can think of thousand places I would go to investigate tourism opportunities before that place.

Just furthers my belief that our neighbor to the north (and to the western end) aint my favourite regime.:yuk:

Unhinged
17th Sep 2008, 20:05
Just furthers my belief that our neighbor to the north (and to the western end) aint my favourite regime.

Well, the pilot in question has plenty of experience in international flying and knows the requirements very well, but still apparently lobbed into another country without visas or other required documentation. What exactly did he expect would happen ????

They got a lot better treatment than they would have if the situation was reversed, and they'd been 5 Indonesians arriving here unannounced. In that case they'd also be detained, but the Oz gummint certainly wouldn't have started them off in a hotel, and it'd be a lot longer than a week in pokey !

Torres
17th Sep 2008, 22:04
I find it very hard to believe that pilot, with his experience, did not know the consular requirements to land an aircraft in Indonesian West Papua!!!

dhavillandpilot
17th Sep 2008, 22:40
I cannot understand why anyone would do such an idiotic thing.

Whenever we have had to fly into Indonesia you simply ring up Dude in Bali, he arranges for clearances, handling and fuel - all at a very reasonable price.

Half the time it is the Indonesian Military that do your handling on the side.

Cypher
17th Sep 2008, 22:50
Ahh yes,the infamous "Dude".. good to hear he's still around..

Is he still making those carved wooden name signs?

AQIS Boigu
17th Sep 2008, 23:16
Maybe he went across to look for the dinghy which has been missing for years (I think GM or Gramps lost it...or was it Tristo)!!!!