PDA

View Full Version : Sign for the car - "GET OFF THE PHONE"

Jerricho
17th Sep 2008, 15:19
It what can be described as a moment of clarity (actually, more like a hangover), I had enough of douche bags driving around yapping away on their mobile phone (or cell phones as these quaint N. Americans call them. They even have ads here with what's her face who's shagging Michael Douglas doing the T-Mobile ads and she says "Mobil" not "Mobile" which sounds retarded, especially with her Welshish accent but I digress...........)

A3 piece of white cardboard

Black Sharpie

Equals sign "GET OFF THE PHONE AND DRIVE"

I've held it up to a few people now. I've been given the finger twice, had one lady quickly face front as if I didn't exist, several scowls, but no success, yet.

One9iner
17th Sep 2008, 16:08
well done for trying :D ...

I came to a conclusion a while ago about communicating with other drivers on the road. I cover a fairly above average number of miles per year, mainly in the South East but also travel to the North West a fair bit aswell... I used to get so angry at people who either

a) Were driving in the dark with no lights / on the motorway in the rain with no lights
b) Insisted on using mobile phones which was clearly having an impact on their ability to drive in a straight line at a constant speed.. (unless on a bendy road!:ugh:)
c) Completely forgot that their indicator was still flashing away from their previous lane change / junction.

Then I thought to myself... What are you doing?! Why am I helping these people to avoid penalty points and fines... If I just stop then maybe 1 out of 10 people I try and tell "turn your lights on!!!!" or "your tyre is flat!!!" will get caught and get what's coming to them!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

Jimmy Macintosh
17th Sep 2008, 16:34
http://users.myexcel.com/n7il/enlightenment/DOT_Sign.jpg

ShyTorque
17th Sep 2008, 16:44
Followed a lady in her 3.0 litre Jag today. Her car's brakelights were stuck permanently on so it wasn't possible to tell when she was going to brake, which she randomly did for the seven miles I was obliged to drive behind her (no overtaking allowed, 50 limit), with lots of cars behind me and nowhere safe to pull in.

Very frustrating, I'm glad it wasn't dark, which would have been worse.

I thought I might communicate with her but then realised the only way to do so would be to jump out of my car and knock on her window when she came to the next roundabout, if she had to stop in the usual traffic queue. I decided against this as these days I would probably scare the poor dear and get reported for road rage. So she's still out there somewhere, dazzling everyone else. I hope the MOT test is due soon. :}

Lon More
17th Sep 2008, 17:27
should have phoned the Old Bill. IIRC it's a telltale sign that the car's been nicked.

ShyTorque
17th Sep 2008, 18:05
What, and get nicked for using my mobile phone? :\

Last time I called 999 (three calls made) because my son had been seriously assaulted the local police took 16 hours to arrive. Wouldn't bother for a suspected stolen car. :ugh:

Foss
17th Sep 2008, 18:12
Remember years back in the states you could buy a table tennis bat affair with various messages on it.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
17th Sep 2008, 18:16
...not THE Jerricho?

Jimmy Macintosh
17th Sep 2008, 19:22
I just thought, are you in your wood panelled souped up Scooby or your FJ cruiser. The repsonses might be due to your vehicle.

I like the idea though, I end up just shouting at them with suitable brave comments behind closed windows as I drive past.

Jerricho
17th Sep 2008, 19:28
Alas, one no longer has the mighty WRX, and the FJ has been traded in for something much more fuel efficient...........

http://www.uncrate.com/men/images/2006/07/jeep-wrangler-unlimited.jpg

Maybe your comment regarding vehicle is still appropriate. I did have the doors off and roof down. Maybe they thought I was going to jack them?

I see you Catman! Purchased and fruit of late from a door-to-door salesperson?

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
17th Sep 2008, 19:30
I'm wise to their tricks. I see them coming now and lock everything up tight!

Jerricho
17th Sep 2008, 19:32
Hands up who else out there has EVER purchased fruit from a door to door salesperson.......:ok:

Maybe you should hang a sign from the front door GET OFF MY LAND! NO FRUIT THANKS!

You survive that Ike thing? Or did it blow your nuts?

Dick Fisher
17th Sep 2008, 19:35
Am I right in believing that the majority of mobile 'phone chat while driving seems to occur in cars costing between 30k & 60k? If the drivers must prove that they can easily do two things at the same time, why can't these plonkers afford the extra 100 to install a hands-free kit?

merlinxx
17th Sep 2008, 19:37
Back in the Spring (well I thought it was spring) outside local supermarket, local,Old Bill had their 'Community Policing promo. When brought the their attention the number of drivers passing using their 'hand helds', response was "not us call the nick, too busy". Complaint sent, a reply, you must be feckin joking, not even an ACK or THKS. Old Bill are absolute bollocks in this area.

Jerricho
17th Sep 2008, 21:05
I'm just waiting for my buddy Farrell to Photochop that pic..........come on you bastard. You know you want to. :ouch::}

chiglet
17th Sep 2008, 22:48
Followed a lady in her 3.0 litre Jag today. Her car's brakelights were stuck permanently on so it wasn't possible to tell when she was going to brake, which she randomly did for the seven miles I was obliged to drive behind her (no overtaking allowed, 50 limit), with lots of cars behind me and nowhere safe to pull in

Sure that they weren't "Fog Lights"....:E
watp,iktch

ShyTorque
17th Sep 2008, 22:51
No, unless the LED third brakelight at the top of the rear windscreen comes on with Jaguar foglights.......

Howard Hughes
17th Sep 2008, 23:17
I have often wondered about the viability of putting one of those LED ticker displays in the rear window. Then one could have a number of messages pre-programmed ready for display, some I have thought of are...

Get off the phone!
Turn your fog lights off!
The speed limit applies to you too!
Get off my arse you hemorrhoid!

And especially for Rainboe, I may be slow but I'm in front of you!;)

PS: Automatics should be banned especially in Euro made cars and anyone that can't drive a manual shouldn't be on the road! You don't see manual cars getting around with their brake lights on!:hmm:

ShyTorque
17th Sep 2008, 23:28
The speed limit applies to you too!

So although I'm speeding, don't stay with me? :confused:

You don't see manual cars getting around with their brake lights on!

Unless the brake light switch has failed in the 'on' position, which is what I think had happened to the lady's Jag.

Overdrive
17th Sep 2008, 23:29
I have often wondered about the viability of putting one of those LED ticker displays in the rear window. Then one could have a number of messages pre-programmed ready for display, some I have thought of are...

They're available to buy.

Jerricho
17th Sep 2008, 23:32
Until somebody drives up yer ass coz they're trying to read what it says..........

"If you can read this sign, you've probably rear ended me"

Howard Hughes
17th Sep 2008, 23:34
which is what I think had happened to the lady's Jag.
Yeh right, I suspect there's a high probability it is just 'lazy driving'...:rolleyes:
If you can read this sign, you've probably rear ended me
:ok:

ShyTorque
17th Sep 2008, 23:38
7 miles with a lazy foot on the brake pedal? I doubt it. The brake lights were on solid all the time, not even Jag brakes would stand that without giving off smoke, those weren't smoking and definitely still worked well.

merlinxx
17th Sep 2008, 23:40
Howard, unless it's Swedish, all Volvos have lights when active, just have a gander when next on the road.

Howard Hughes
18th Sep 2008, 00:08
I still think, oh never mind...;)

Jerricho
18th Sep 2008, 00:30
Still thinking?

You just take your time mate.

ShyTorque
18th Sep 2008, 00:49
I think... I think I am, therefore:

YouTube - "In The Beginning"/"Lovely To See You" - The Moody Blues (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=xgvVFv2jiL0&feature=related)

parabellum
18th Sep 2008, 03:03
If you are going to carry and display a piece of cardboard with "Get Off The 'Phone" then for maximum effect you should have the word POLITE at the top, white letters on a blue background, you will be amazed at the different responses you get!;)

Eboy
18th Sep 2008, 03:16
How about a high-tech approach?

Cell Phone Jammer, Mobile Phone Jammers, Blocker Stopper-Buy Here-Cool! (http://www.phonejammer.com/)

critter592
18th Sep 2008, 03:25
I have often wondered about the viability of putting one of those LED ticker displays in the rear window. Then one could have a number of messages pre-programmed ready for display...

I have one. Think I purchased mine from Maplin Electronics.
Plugs into the cigarette lighter and has a wee infrared remote control.

Some of the messages on mine:

Cancel your indicator!

You're too close!
If that doesn't have the desired effect:
Keep your distance - a$$hole!

Put the phone DOWN!
If ignored, followed by:
The longer your call the slower I drive, sh1thead.

In a hurry? Tough.
(Used when I get some jerk racing up behind me on the motorway, tailgating, and flashing his lights to get me to move aside. Said jerk is usually in a Merc or BMW.)

Unfortunately, the display is preprogrammed to reject foul language (spoilsports), so some ingenious - albeit predictable - use of numerals and punctuation is often called for!

"If you can read this sign, you've probably rear ended me"

:ok::ok:

Don

tinpis
18th Sep 2008, 05:42
Reach out and stick one of these on yer roof

http://www.geodetic.com.au/images/narva_rotating_beacon.jpg

UniFoxOs
18th Sep 2008, 08:19
Howard, unless it's Swedish, all Volvos have lights when active, just have a gander when next on the road.

True, the default is on but there is a switch to turn them off and thereby save a bit of fuel and pollution. Notice :-

a) How many "ordinary" Volvos have permanent lights on - loads

b) How many Police Volvos have permanent lights on - none - they don't want to draw attention to themselves and

c) How many Volvo trucks have permanent lights on - none - fleet managers know what these lights cost them in fuel.

Cheers
UFO

frostbite
18th Sep 2008, 13:18
Just published today - one of those silly 'surveys' has found that texting while driving is the most potentially dangerous activity.

They pay people to come up with the bleeding obvious?

rhythm method
18th Sep 2008, 13:32
I would have thought Lion Taming while driving was more dangerous, but I wasn't in the survey, so I guess we'll never know. :}

sitigeltfel
18th Sep 2008, 14:29
The EU is to legislate that all european cars have their lights on at all times...

Daytime car lights to be mandatory - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1578194/Daytime-car-lights-to-be-mandatory.html)

...another excuse to dish out fixed penalty tickets, no doubt.

Jerricho
18th Sep 2008, 14:30
It think texting while lion taming would certainly rank........

rhythm method
18th Sep 2008, 14:41
I don't think lions have opposible thumbs...

oh, not the lion? :}

Lasiorhinus
18th Sep 2008, 15:09
What, and get nicked for using my mobile phone? :\

Last time I called 999 (three calls made) because my son had been seriously assaulted the local police took 16 hours to arrive. Wouldn't bother for a suspected stolen car. :ugh:

Call them back - tell them not to hurry because youve shot the driver, so he wont be stealing any more cars.

Bet they show up real quick, then :E

merlinxx
18th Sep 2008, 16:57
Wrong colour Tinny, gotta be blue.

AMF
18th Sep 2008, 17:32
Jerricho

Sign for the car - "GET OFF THE PHONE"

It what can be described as a moment of clarity (actually, more like a hangover), I had enough of douche bags driving around yapping away on their mobile phone (or cell phones as these quaint N. Americans call them. They even have ads here with what's her face who's shagging Michael Douglas doing the T-Mobile ads and she says "Mobil" not "Mobile" which sounds retarded, especially with her Welshish accent but I digress...........)

A3 piece of white cardboard

Black Sharpie

Equals sign "GET OFF THE PHONE AND DRIVE"

I've held it up to a few people now. I've been given the finger twice, had one lady quickly face front as if I didn't exist, several scowls, but no success, yet.

Let me get this straight. You've convinced yourself that the mere act of talking on a phone while driving is so distracting you're distracted by someone doing it. At least THEY are watching the road. You, on the other hand, are peering around you into other cars, carrying out your self-appointed duties as Traffic Nanny.

So you make a sign, which will indeed distract them if they read what you're holding up. You seem to take either pride or umbrage in the fact you've been scowled-at or flipped-off, a sure sign that you not only distract other drivers who may not have been before, but you inject emotionalism into the situation and raised their ire, perhaps even to your own level....which I suspect is really what you're after. The lady who quickly faced front was doing the correct thing...ignoring you and continuing to drive despite your distracting, child-bossy antics.

That you've related their reactions tells me that instead of watching the road, you're still watching them.

At the least, it seems you're a far greater threat to road safety than what you say you're trying to stop. Your "cure" is far worse than the condition. You'll see what I mean when one day....while you're sign-waving, and irritating peoople and gauging reactions instead of watching other cars and the road....you run into a lampost and what your kind so quaintly calls a "bonnet" winds up sitting in your lap.

Jerricho
18th Sep 2008, 17:43
Wow, lots for speculation and guessing there AMF. Note to you......I said I've help it up to a few people now.......while I was sitting waiting at traffic lights or when I was a passenger in the car at the time. Maybe I wasn't in the car at all, just happily walking down the road with my sign in hand waiting to offend somebody just like you. If you're the sort of person who gonna go into meltdown because somebody holds up a sign to you highlighting what you are doing ain't the smartest thing since Mr Flemming left his culture dishes out on the bench, then we should all be scared.

Oh wait, I get it........ maybe your just pissed coz you're one of these folk who think they're such a good driver that they can drive, chat on the phone, apply lipstick, brush hair, scratch balls/vagina (whichever one is appropriate) while scoffing down a triple gayuccino with a a double shot of reach-around, puffing a cigarette and waiting for the GPS to recalculate your position. I'm guessing some folk don't take kindly to having highlighted to them they're driving like a douche (and breaking the law in some countries)

Lemme guess, you've got one of them "Baby on board" signs in the back of your car.

Jerricho
18th Sep 2008, 18:03
BTW, since I moved here I find myself now calling the front of my vehicle "the hood". However, douche bag seems to be an international constant.

AMF
18th Sep 2008, 18:45
[Jerricho quote, Wow, lots for speculation and guessing there AMF. Note to you......I said I've help it up to a few people now.......while I was sitting waiting at traffic lights or when I was a passenger in the car at the time. Maybe I wasn't in the car at all, just happily walking down the road with my sign in hand waiting to offend somebody just like you.

You don't offend me. I merely think what you're doing is designed to distract drivers and is, of course, highly sophmoric. Perhaps you're not even old enough to drive?

If you're the sort of person who gonna go into meltdown because somebody holds up a sign to you highlighting what you are doing ain't the smartest thing since Mr Flemming left his culture dishes out on the bench, then we should all be scared.

In many/most States talking on the phone while driving isn't against law, and you holding up that sign highlights nothing except your own Bossy nature and the fact you can't mind your own business.

Also, the most extensive research conducted under real conditions over a period of years shows that talking on the phone while driving is only minimally distracting...less than changing a CD or reading a bilboard ad, and on par with talking to someone who's riding in the car with you or changing a radio station. Look it up yourself if you'd like, if you even know how. Of course, I know this is at odds with your preconceived notions or "simulated driving" tests involving about 10 people with an agenda, so there's no hope you'll delve into something that will only cause you to experience cognitive dissonance because you've bought into it so fully it's now your own little Traffic Nanny cause.

Oh wait, I get it........ maybe your just pissed coz you're one of these folk who think they're such a good driver that they can drive, chat on the phone, apply lipstick, brush hair, scratch balls/vagina (whichever one is appropriate) while scoffing down a triple gayuccino with a a double shot of reach-around, puffing a cigarette and waiting for the GPS to recalculate your position. I'm guessing some folk don't take kindly to having highlighted to them they're driving like a douche (and breaking the law in some countries)

Pissed? On the contrary, I think you quite laughable if I even bother to think of your kind at all. And yes, I can drive and chat on the phone, smoke a smoke, and even reload a Colt 1911 Auto I've taken from the console next to where I keep my coffee. And what's more, where I do drive when I'm in the States, all of those activities are perfectly legal for me to do. Undoubtedly that I can and do annoys you immensely, but I don't worry about the annoyance level of anyone who apparently thinks something as garden variety and mundane as driving equates to jinking a Star Wars fighter through enemies and obstacles to blow up the Death Star.

Lemme guess, you've got one of them "Baby on board" signs in the back of your car.

Never had one in my life...sign, that is. But in your case you might consider having one permanently painted on your driver's side door.

Jerricho
18th Sep 2008, 18:51
and even reload a Colt 1911 Auto I've taken from the console next to where I keep my coffee

Ahhhhhhh, this makes everything crystal clear now.......

It's ok being a redneck. At least you know the family history of the next person you're going to have sex with.

I think form this point on I will have to refer to you as "White Noise" (or Red White and Blue noise).

BTW, you know that Star Wars sh*t ain't real, don't you.

AMF
18th Sep 2008, 19:04
Jerricho Quote:
and even reload a Colt 1911 Auto I've taken from the console next to where I keep my coffee

Ahhhhhhh, this makes everything crystal clear now.......

It's ok being a redneck. At least you know the family history of the next person you're going to have sex with.

Indeed are clueless about America. If I were a redneck, instead of coffee there'd be Jack Daniels in the console drink holder.

Since I'm feeling magnanimous and you're an obsessive sign-waving judgemental type who's not thinking too clearly in your quest, I'll offer you this free advice regarding rednecks and signs on the road; they regard shooting them as a sport.

P.S. You know, I've never even thought to ask your sister about her family history. Oh well.

Katamarino
18th Sep 2008, 20:51
I declare AMF the winner, in a special olympics kind of a way. :D

Jimmy Macintosh
18th Sep 2008, 21:36
I disagree, the winning statement was:

AMF he's in Canada where, like America, the "don't phone and drive law" is passing through the various states. Some of the worst driving I've seen on the road mostly (not all) has a person with a phone stuck to their ear.

TURIN
18th Sep 2008, 22:25
I don't want to get involved with a personal slanging match but a look at some 'facts' might be helpfull.

Mobile Phone Distraction (http://www.rospa.com/RoadSafety/advice/driving/mobile_phones.htm)

The Beeb's view (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7153070.stm)

Jerricho before he made the sign.... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/6996546.stm)

AMF
19th Sep 2008, 00:31
TURIN quote; I don't want to get involved with a personal slanging match but a look at some 'facts' might be helpfull.

I agree, and find real-world studies to be the closest thing to "fact". Here's a couple samplings...

An August 2003 report from the AAA Foundation for Traffic Safety that concluded that drivers are far less distracted by their cellphones than by other common activities, such as reaching for items on the seat or glove compartment or talking to passengers. That study was based on the analysis of videotapes from cameras installed in the vehicles of 70 drivers in North Carolina and Pennsylvania.

A study released in April 2006 found that almost 80 percent of crashes and 65 percent of near-crashes involved some form of driver inattention within three seconds of the event. The study, The 100-Car Naturalistic Driving Study, conducted by the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), breaks new ground. (Earlier research found that driver inattention was responsible for 25 to 30 percent of crashes.) The new study found that the most common distraction is the use of cellphones, followed by drowsiness. However, cellphone use is far less likely to be the cause of a crash or near-miss than other distractions, according to the study. For example, while reaching for a moving object such as a falling cup increased the risk of a crash or near-crash by nine times, talking or listening on a hand-held cellphone only increased the risk by 1.3 times. The study tracked the behavior of the 241 drivers of 100 vehicles for more than one year. The drivers were involved in 82 crashes, 761 near-crashes and 8,295 critical incidents.

Currently, "Outside person, object, event" (rubbernecking) is the most reported cause of distraction-related accidents, followed by "Adjusting radio/cassette/CD". "Using/dialing cell phone" is eighth.

Let's take another look at that one and think about Traffic Nanny sign-wavers and the obviousness of it for anyone who's ever driven a car..

"Outside person, object, event" (rubbernecking) is the most reported cause of distraction-related accidents,

Anyway, moving on.....

The University of Illinois meta-analysis concluded that passenger conversations were just as costly to driving performance as cell phone ones. AAA ranks passengers as the third most reported cause of distraction-related accidents at 11 percent, compared to 1.5 percent for cellular telephones.

VCU study finds cell phones are not the leading cause of distracted driving. Rubbernecking, driver fatigue and looking at scenery are some of the leading causes of distraction-related traffic crashes, according to a study conducted by Virginia Commonwealth University. The study, conducted for the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles, may be one of the most comprehensive of its kind in the nation. More than 2,700 crash scenes involving distracted drivers and nearly 4,500 drivers were studied.
While cell phones have been widely criticized as the cause of distracted driving, they ranked sixth in the study's list of distracted driving behaviors. Looking at traffic, crashes and roadside incidents was the primary distraction in 16 percent of the crashes studied, followed by driver fatigue, 12 percent; looking at scenery, 10 percent; passenger and child distractions, nine percent; and adjusting the radio, CD or tape player, seven percent. Cell phones were cited as the primary distraction in slightly more than five percent of the crashes studied. Distractions inside the vehicle accounted for 62 percent of all the crashes studies.

"I think Virginia is a nice microcosm of the United States," said James M. Ellis with VCU's Survey and Evaluation Research Laboratory, which conducted the study in conjunction with the VCU Transportation Safety Training Center. "It has rural and urban areas; and a diverse population, climate and road network."

Most crashes in the study, 62 percent, occurred in rural areas, often resulting from driver fatigue, insects, animals and unrestrained pet distractions. Distracted-driving crashes in urban areas often resulted from drivers looking at other crashes, traffic or vehicles or cell phone use.

Using federal grant funds, DMV requested the study to test a standard list of distracted driving behaviors. This list will be used by law enforcement when they report a traffic crash involving distracted driving.

"Law enforcement officers complete an accident report for every traffic crash," said Department of Motor Vehicles assistant commissioner Vince Burgess. "The information not only helps us keep tabs on Virginia's traffic crashes, it also provides us with valuable research information for driving issues, such as distracted driving."

Burgess noted there are many causes of distracted driving and law enforcement officers tend to use different terminology to describe the same behaviors. "Standardizing the list of distracted driving behaviors will strengthen our research data."

State troopers in all divisions and law enforcement in selected counties and cities participated in the study, which was conducted from June 15, 2002 through Nov. 30, 2002.

Annually, driver distraction accounts for roughly 13 percent of all traffic crashes in Virginia, according to DMV.
Top 15 causes of distracted driving*

Type of Distraction Percentage of Crashes Caused
1. Looking at crash, vehicle, roadside incident or traffic 16%
2. Driver fatigue 12%
3. Looking at scenery or landmarks 10%
4. Passenger or child distraction 9%
5. Adjusting radio or changing CD or tape 7%
6. Cell phone 5%
7. Eyes not on road 4.5%
8. Not paying attention, day dreaming 4%
9. Eating or drinking 4%
10. Adjusting vehicle controls 4%
11. Weather conditions 2%
12. Unknown 2%
13. Insect, animal or object entering or striking vehicle 2%
14. Document, book, map, directions or newspaper 2%
15. Medical or emotional impairment 2%

Given the statistics and studies using onboard instrumentation, police reports, and insurance company statistics, a sign-waving Traffic Nanny...whether sitting in a car or standing by the roadside as he backpedaled to say he was doing... creates a bigger distraction and poses a far greater threat to road safety than someone minding their own business and talking on a phone. For instance, in the last study I've related it's right there in black and white; a mobile phone Traffic Nanny monitoring others' behavior and sign-waving from inside a vehicle solidly falls into the category of "looking at crash, vehicle, roadside incident, or traffic" at 16%, and is purposely becoming a similarly-high, potential distraction to other drivers. At best, he's a "child distraction", causing 9%.

My advice to self-important, sign-waving Traffic Nanny pests who can't even claim to be reminding anyone of the Law in 45 of 50 States; mind your own business, quit being a distraction-hazard to road safety, and seek some counseling to reign-in your Control Freak urges and outlandish exasperation at others you think aren't toe-ing some imaginary line you define as "proper behavior".

Jerricho
19th Sep 2008, 01:00
in a special olympics kind of a way

See, I got banned when I posted that image............

As to

If I were a redneck, instead of coffee there'd be Jack Daniels in the console drink holder

....so you're just a run of the mill gun toting psycho then? You've got a gun, big freakin deal. I've got a 12 inch penis, but you don't hear me telling people what I can do with it while driving (and we certainly don't want to hear what you do with yours when you're surfing the Net for all those Google inspired quotes you appear to like)

See that there. That's an inference I have gleaned from your previous post. Not something like that "a person of your type who obviously........blah blah blah" crap

You gotta love someone who relies on piss-weak amature attempts at trying to assert their perceived intelligence using words like "obvious", "your kind", "you're" and all sorts of assumptive chest pounding and pseudo-rhetoric directed at someone they don't know from Adam. You must have one of them highly sought after "Doctorates in Internets Psychology". The funniest thing is the hypocricy contained in your pleasant musings.

http://www.strudel.org.uk/blog/astro/images/20050808_tv_noise.jpg

AMF
19th Sep 2008, 03:34
Jerricho Quote:
in a special olympics kind of a way

See, I got banned when I posted that image............

Deserved.

....so you're just a run of the mill gun toting psycho then? You've got a gun, big freakin deal.

Guns are cannons mounted on ships, and far too heavy for one person to tote. But I do have many pistols and rifles, and of course that's not a big deal. Neither is reloading one a big deal (especially when it's magazine-fed like a 1911 Colt) while you drive, which was my point to begin with.

I've got a 12 inch penis, but you don't hear me telling people what I can do with it while driving

And I...along with others, most likely....thank you for sparing us the boring details

(and we certainly don't want to hear what you do with yours when you're surfing the Net for all those Google inspired quotes you appear to like)

Not that I would bring the subject up...you already have that propensity....

Oh wait, I get it........ ....., apply lipstick, brush hair, scratch balls/vagina (whichever one is appropriate)

It's seemed to emerge as a common theme of yours

See that there. That's an inference I have gleaned from your previous post.

The conclusion I can't avoid after gleaning from your previous posts is that Freud would have an Inferiority Complex/Car=Sex/Attention-seeking/Extention signage-device field day with you. He11, you even plucked incest out of the clear, blue sky. I wish he wasn't dead, he'd be perfect for the counseling I suggested.

You gotta love someone who relies on piss-weak amature attempts at trying to assert their perceived intelligence using words like "obvious", "your kind", "you're"

Words are words, I used findings that analyzed real-world info and statistics that show your little crusade is not only misguided, but poses a threat to road safety.

and all sorts of assumptive chest pounding and pseudo-rhetoric directed at someone they don't know from Adam.

Your whole premise and this thread are based on your assumption that anyone driving while talking on the phone is stupid, and therefore you must "highlight" to them what you smugly perceive to be the error of their ways by way of a condescending sign directed at them. Even though statistics don't bear you out. Even though what those drivers are doing is perfectly legal in 45 of 50 States. Even though nobody appointed you Constable of Roads. And you do this, of course, not knowing them from Adam.

Get used to being ignored out there on your self-appointed mission.

You must have one of them highly sought after "Doctorates in Internets Psychology". The funniest thing is the hypocricy contained in your pleasant musings.

Hypocricy would be deriding a "Baby on Board" sign while flashing signs yourself. You created this thread seeking applause and atta-boys for your self-important antics and it doesn't take any Degree, internet or otherwise, to see you can't handle when the error of your assumptions and ways are pointed out.

Jerricho
19th Sep 2008, 06:21
So let me get this straight.

You deem it no big deal to diverting one's full attention from driving to drinking coffee, reloading your weapon, smoking a cigarette......yet have the audacity to infer that somebody holding up a sign highlight something that is certainly deemed illegal in countries around the world (yes, yes, you've made it blatantly obvious it's legal in 45 states of the USA......which ain't the only country on the planet, but you seem to keep wanting to remind us...guess those folk in the other states of the country in which you live know nothing, as with those other pesky countries outside of your land of the free) is far more likely to distract and impinge on the safety of a vehicle being driven than any of the

To you sir, I call bullshit. Pure and simple. You can quote statistics until the next big hurricane kicks the crap out of Texas........87% of stats are made to reflect what the collator wants them to "prove". An activity that diverts your attention from driving IS A BAD THING. Sure, my sign certainly could be seen as distraction, but as it gets selectively used when vehicles are stopped around me (as I have pointed out to you)....well, that doesn't quite fit into your little tirade now, does it.

You're not related to Send Clowns perchance? Please tell me you're not a pilot.

I've just realised that anyone who takes that much time to quote and reply line by line to something somebody has posted on the internet perhaps should think about taking a little reality break from the Internets

Jerricho
19th Sep 2008, 06:43
I've just read some of your other "input" on other threads......seriously, you've got issues.

This internet thing ain't real you know :eek: 95% of people really don't give a sh*t what you think.......I know they don't about me.

**** me, I've just worked it out......your eal401, ain't ya!!!!

Ripline
19th Sep 2008, 09:55
Confucius, he say "When two elephants fight, it's the grass that gets trampled on...."

I think that you are both wonderful examples of the pprune species:D

Totally barking, mind, but sooo entertaining.

Ripline

Jerricho
19th Sep 2008, 14:07
Yeah, but one of them elephants has an armed bear he can load while tramping through the jungle........and by god, it's his constitutional right to use it.

I've actually learned lots from this thread. I'll not take my sign on my trip to MSP next week. Some nutbag with a phone in one hand and a pistol/rifle/whatever (you want to talk Freudian.......boasting about all those weapons; making up for an inadequacy?) in the other could be causing a real safety issue on the road

Scrubbed
19th Sep 2008, 20:58
Oh if only eel401 was still with us, what fun it would be.

You two bitches should get handbags and start slapping in the mud with your manboobs swinging.

PS: Sorry Jezz but the phone sign is sooooo gay. What you need is a nudge bar on the front of your car. When she's got the phone stuck to the side of her head, just nudge the rear left corner then overtake as she spins off....

Alternatively, if you're on the side of the road, just get a six-pack and a bag of road-tacks.

PPS: who died and left you in charge of road-morals..??? (had to throw that one in)

Jerricho
19th Sep 2008, 22:32
Manboobs?

But I've lost weight. :sad:

Farrell
20th Sep 2008, 01:11
I'm just waiting for my buddy Farrell to Photochop that pic..........come on you bastard. You know you want to.

Sorry I'm late. The photo was just brought to my attention.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b140/quartermilefinal/jeep-wrangler-unlimited.jpg

SyllogismCheck
20th Sep 2008, 01:44
You've gotta love this quote...
1. Looking at crash, vehicle, roadside incident or traffic 16%
2. Driver fatigue 12%
3. Looking at scenery or landmarks 10%
4. Passenger or child distraction 9%
5. Adjusting radio or changing CD or tape 7%
6. Cell phone 5%
7. Eyes not on road 4.5%
So, basically, talking on the phone when driving is OK because it's only slightly more dangerous than not even looking where you're going.

Well, I guess it's just fine and dandy then. :hmm:

Scrubbed
20th Sep 2008, 07:40
Hey Sillyjism....... long time no see. The boys really are back in town...

PS: if you're gonna moan about mobile phone usage on the road, why don't you include CB radio usage....

Farrell
20th Sep 2008, 11:51
Manboobs?

But I've lost weight.

Yeah. Right!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b140/quartermilefinal/fatso22.jpg

Mini fan
20th Sep 2008, 12:10
About 6 months ago I was sitting in non moving traffic, and I realised I was going to be late for a meeting. So I decided to do something 100% illegal and phone one of the people attending the meeting and advise them I was going to be late. Someone walks over to my car from the pavement, reaches in through the open window and tries to take my phone off me, while shouting, "that's illegal!"

So I punched him in the face and told him to :mad: off.

Next time you're waving a sign at someone, you better pray they don't have anything in their car they don't care about throwing out the window.

Cheerio
20th Sep 2008, 15:26
That's it! I have spent years pondering the reason why odd shoes are so often found littering the central reservation. I imagined some deranged shoe fetishist getting his kicks sprinkling the roadside with his spoils. Now I realise there must be scores of justified salesmen hopping into Travelodges as we speak, shod with one worn slip-on the other, having bounced off some personal space transgressors windscreen, to add to a roadside collection that would have done justice to Heather Mills. I'm glad I have cleared that one up.

AMF
21st Sep 2008, 05:26
Mini fan About 6 months ago I was sitting in non moving traffic, and I realised I was going to be late for a meeting. So I decided to do something 100% illegal and phone one of the people attending the meeting and advise them I was going to be late. Someone walks over to my car from the pavement, reaches in through the open window and tries to take my phone off me, while shouting, "that's illegal!"

So I punched him in the face and told him to off.

Next time you're waving a sign at someone, you better pray they don't have anything in their car they don't care about throwing out the window.

You bring up a good point Mini. Mobile phone usage can actually increase safety on the roads by cutting down on speeding and/or agressive driving, known roadway killers. For instance, you've planned your travel time so as to arrive at the business meeting on time/pick the kids up at daycare or friend at the airport/rendevous with your girlfriend at the hotel before your wife expects you home from work because it's your anniversary and she's making a special dinner/etc.et. But suddenly, you're stuck in a traffic jam because there's an accident or shooting caused by some pretentious idiot waving a sign at drivers, distracting them and/or pi$$ing them off, and now you know you'll be late. At this point you have a couple choices. Do you;

1) Take a minute to calmly pick up the phone and call your associates/the daycare or friend/your girlfriend and wife,etc. and explain to them your lateness, thus relieving all pressure to feel it necessary to pick choice #2, and drive away from the traffic jam at a normal, safe rate with the peace of mind everyone expecting you isn't wondering where the he11 you are. Or...

2) You sit there...phoneless and telephonically muzzled by some insipid Draconian law the Driving Nazis have conjured up and the busybody, self-important Communication Gestapo try to enforce or "highlight", checking your watch with increasing agitation... then stomp on the gas as soon as you break free of the traffic jam, spending the next 10 or 20 or 30 miles and/or minutes emulating whichever Formula 1 or NASCAR driver suits you, jinking and speeding and weaving through other traffic down the public roads in an effort to minimize your lateness, conflict, and others being stranded. Nobody can call you because because your phone is switched off or you can't answer. People out there are getting worried and pissed off.

I'd say it's a pretty easy decision.

Choice #1..using your phone and still being a choice in the Free World...alleviates the pressure and allows the driver to concentrate on driving from that point on, and only takes a minute. And you can use Choice #1 even after you've cleared the traffic jam, say, if your wife can't pick up the phone the first time you tried calling because she was too busy taking a shower with the UPS man who delivered the lingerie she ordered specifically for your Anniversary night. And if the hot water isn't running out, you can always leave a message.

How many people choose Choice #1 every week and make those calls? With 190 million drivers in the US sitting in thousands of traffic jams every day probably millions, but nobody is collecting statistics on that. Why would they? It's a non-event. People try to explain to cops "But officer I was speeding because I was late blah blah..... Cops don't listen to the excuses for speeding, and the ticket becomes statistical analysis fodder for speeding and/or accident relationships. But nobody pulls over to the nearest cop they see for the purpose of telling him/her "Excuse me, I was running really late and thought about speeding back there, but fortunately I was able to call on my phone and tell the people waiting for me when I will be there so didn't have to endanger anyone...are you writing that down? Thanks, just letting you know Officer". The fact that this doesn't happen is why you can't prove a negative here i.e. how using a mobile phone in the car translates to safety by defusing Get-there-itis, and we know this phenomenon kills people in cars, just like planes.

Choice #2, on the other hand, is reckless and causes accidents, injuries, and death. That fact is proven every year through accident statistics and body count beyond a shadow of a doubt, and Choice #2 is tempting for whom Choice #1 is unavailable.

Thus, when you render it down to it's most basic form;

Driving while talking on the phone = Life, Resolution, and Happiness for you anyone around you that isn't a self-righteous Pest, who are the only ones exasperated and pissed-off.

Making it illegal to talk on the phone while diving = Death, Conflict, and Everyone is pissed-off except for the Pests, who are smugly satisfied they've inflicted inconvenience on everyone through petty, behavior-modifying legislation they've been proponents of.

(You notice that the Pests aren't happy in either Choice? Well, pathetically, they NEVER are in general, and it annoys them tremendously to see others being that way...happy, that is. "Smug satisfaction" is as good as it gets for them and it comes from forcibly injecting themselves into your life, where they're unwelcome under this or any other circumstance, in some meager way)

Nice response to the crusading Phone Gestapo guy Mini, nothing less would have been appropriate. Hopefully he learned that it's bad manners to stick his nose into where it doesn't belong and he shouldn't try to steal things.

Radar66
21st Sep 2008, 10:17
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb122/Radar66/emoticons/jerry.gif

good to see you back on form! :rolleyes:

BladePilot
21st Sep 2008, 14:51
Great reading:ok:

no issues with mobile phone usage whilst on the move in the UAE...

It's not uncommon to see folks flying down the fast lane at warp speed in their 4x4's using two phones at the same time! maybe someone needs to explain to them that the cruise control doesn't actually control the steering!

;)

TURIN
22nd Sep 2008, 00:04
PS: if you're gonna moan about mobile phone usage on the road, why don't you include CB radio usage....

Do people still use CBs? Aren't they a bit, you know, 1970s? :hmm:

Cheerio, thats the best laugh I've had all day. Nice one. :D:D

AMF, do you work for a mobile phone company?

There have been a lot of high profile accidents in the UK caused by distracted drivers using their phone.
Yes I know there are an awful lot of accidents not caused by phone use too.

The point is, why complicate an already hazardous pastime (driving) by texting or dialling etc?

A pilot wouldn't dream of texting his/her spouse while on final approach would they?
Driving is much more dangerous than flying so why take the risk? :=

Still think the sign is a bit OTT Jerricho. :ok:

G-CPTN
22nd Sep 2008, 01:19
There have been a lot of high profile accidents in the UK caused by distracted drivers using their phone. Didn't the recent US commuter train involve the driver using a mobile phone and 'missing' a red signal?
Engineer found texting in US train crash - Breaking News - World - Breaking News (http://news.theage.com.au/world/engineer-found-texting-in-us-train-crash-20080919-4jlc.html)

AMF
22nd Sep 2008, 01:43
G-CPTN Quote:
There have been a lot of high profile accidents in the UK caused by distracted drivers using their phone.

Didn't the recent US commuter train involve the driver using a mobile phone and 'missing' a red signal?
Engineer found texting in US train crash - Breaking News - World - Breaking News

Yes, the train driver was "using a mobile phone"....but for texting, not talking. If he'd have been talking on his phone instead texting he'd have been looking outside and the accident wouldn't have occured.

Nobody in their right mind would argue that texting and driving is safe. You may as well argue it's perfectly OK to type up your annual budget report or email your friends on your notebook computer that's sitting in your lap as you barrel down the highway.

Jerricho
22nd Sep 2008, 01:50
As a person who is involved in ensuring the safe travel of loads of people daily (not being sanctimonious, just stating a fact), I view ANY activity that diverts the required attention away from the task at hand, be it driving/flying/riding as a threat to safety. Coupled with the fact that holding a phone in one hand removes the ability to control a vehicle with it (waiting for the "I drive just as well with one hand as two" bullsh*t). Turin's observation of "A pilot wouldn't dream of texting his/her spouse while on final approach would they?" echos my sentiments.

AMF, your musings regarding old mate calling ahead if going to be late.....sure, bloody great. Blonde love driving along a residential street at or exceeding speed limit cackling away with BFF about how drunk she got last night...........no effin way. I'd wager a large amount of beer the percentage of drivers out there using their phone aren't calling the boss to say they've slept in.

Note - I'm amused I get accused of "back-peddling" when I clarify the situation because it doesn't quite fit into the assumed vision of me driving along at warp factor 2 trying to force folk off the road in an attempt to gain their attention http://www.splforum.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_evil.gif

SyllogismCheck
22nd Sep 2008, 02:14
Yes, the train driver was "using a mobile phone"....but for texting, not talking. If he'd have been talking on his phone instead texting he'd have been looking outside and the accident wouldn't have occured.

Hey! Don't be so hard on the train driver guy, AMF.

Maybe he was only sending a really short text. Just a few characters.
About as many as dialling a phone number, say.
That should have been OK, right?

Gort
22nd Sep 2008, 03:40
Yes Jericho we all know your an Air traffic controller (yawn) and I guess once a control freak always a control freak. You never every talk on the phone while driving? How about change a CD or yell at the kids?
AMF noone really cares you carry a firearm in your car although why do you feel the need to? Thats curiosity BTW not caring.
"You may as well argue it's perfectly OK to type up your annual budget report or email your friends on your notebook computer that's sitting in your lap as you barrel down the highway"
According to you its ok to multitask by drinking coffee, smoke and play with said firearm while driving. Where do you draw the line. Is everyone as good a driver as you?

Captain Speedbird
22nd Sep 2008, 08:34
Gort, on your last sentence:

Most multi-tasking is OK, providing you can use multi senses, but as far as I know you can't multi-task your eyes alone if the focal point changes. Its one or the other. Otherwise why bother with all those expensive HUD's? I have texted while driving like most people and only do it in benign situations, but undoubtedly it is one of the most dangerous things to try to do while driving. A decent sneeze is bad enough! I wouldn't be too keen to think someone was trying it when we had a closing speed of over 100MPH.

AMF
22nd Sep 2008, 11:10
Gort
AMF noone really cares you carry a firearm in your car although why do you feel the need to? Thats curiosity BTW not caring.

Well every time I pick up my phone to talk to someone I immediately...as if some black magic is at work...lose control of my vehicle and suddenly the world is spinning around in a crazy way accompanied by that god-awful screeching noise of twisting metal, and when everything stops and quiets down I invariably find myself, once again, in a ditch/field/someone's living room, inverted with leaking petrol all around me. At that point I shoot out whichever window offers the best escape route, then the seat belt buckle, and crawl away before the whole damm thing bursts into flames.

According to you its ok to multitask by drinking coffee, smoke and play with said firearm while driving.

I didn't say it was ok the play with said firearm while driving. It's never ok to play with any firearm, at any time. Are you crazy? My god man, people get hurt that way.

Where do you draw the line.

After assessing the risks after decades of driving hundreds of thousands of accident-free miles, I draw the line at re-creating and quoting line-for-line the "Black Knight" fight scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail using bobble-head toys on the dashboard while GI Joe crawls, unseen, from the passenger seat to set up an ambush from the open glove compartement lid from whence he can lob beer bottle-cap grenades to take out both belligerent Royalists and send them to he11 where they belong while trying to tune-in and listen to an important hockey game on the radio from an AM station in Chicago that sometimes can be pulled-in at night due to atmospheric conditions, while driving.

I've found that even on an empty Wyoming highway this combination of distractions can bring you right up to tickle the threshold of safety, and with the patchy snow you almost can't steeer to avoid an elk that suddenly appears in your headlights when you round a corner and there it is, standing in the road like an idiot. Take it from me, that'll get your heart beating faster because those things are tall, top-heavy, and cutting it's legs out from under him at 80 mph will cause his body to crash through your windshield and your ticket can get get permanently punched right there on the spot. You'll definitely need a smoke after a close-call like that to take the edge off the adrenalin surge, and anyone who says they don't is lying.

Is everyone as good a driver as you?

Anyone who's never been-in, or caused an accident is.