PDA

View Full Version : Dubai (JXB) Housing

TidaBisa
17th Sep 2008, 13:51
For some of us FlyDubai hopefuls can anyone shed some light on the housing market/situation near JXB. Since FlyD will operate out of JXB, Sharjah would not be an option due to the commute. What are the major communities near JXB where housing might be available? Browsing through the web it is very apparent for a family man with kids, AED 192,000/yr is not going to get you much at all. Most 3 bedroom apartments or smaller villas are around AED 250,000-400,000, and rising. It wil make FlyD a hard sell:( The airline and everything else may be great, but if you have to dig deep into your base salary to pay for decent housing, it will be a cause of a great deal of frustration over time.

Gulfstreamaviator
17th Sep 2008, 16:30
if you can not even google it then you dont need to know.

just keep going down SZR.

Jet II
17th Sep 2008, 17:57
Most of the 'New Dubai' communities are close to JXB (a lot closer than they are to DXB in fact)

JBR, JLT, Marina, Palm, Lakes, Greens, Meadows, Green Community, Jebel Ali Village - and more coming all the time.

alex1987
18th Sep 2008, 00:06
You can scrap Jebel Ali Village

Tower Ranger
18th Sep 2008, 00:09
Think 240 with for anything with 3 bedrooms that you actually want to live in and you are in the ballpark.

Left Coaster
18th Sep 2008, 01:04
Five years ago a nice (2000 sq ft) villa in the Lakes was 110000...now they go for over 400000 pa...gonna be a stretch to find decent housing for anyone.

Payscale
18th Sep 2008, 11:59
I beleive they changed the name to Al Makthoum International Airport

Red Dragon
18th Sep 2008, 12:23
Out of interest, how do you know FlyDubai will be operating out of JXB? Don't believe everything you read. This isn't to say they won't be, but current thinking is that they will operate from DXB, rather than JXB. I'm sure the issue will be resolved by those in Dubai Airports Strategy dept, but from what I know it has not been decided yet.

A villa somewhere in between might be appropriate, just to hedge your bets!!

:ok:

PS..that's Al Maktoum International or JXB (IATA) or OMJA (ICAO) or AMIA DWC or or ......

Guy D'ageradar
18th Sep 2008, 19:51
`Evening Mr. Dragon,

I guess that'll be another neighbour for me in Mirdif then (If I can find anything below 250,000 chips, that is!!) Anything else would appear to be something of a mirage.

A bientot! :ok:

Guy.

p.s. I believe the contract's STILL in the post.........;)

sunking
19th Sep 2008, 01:19
The flydubai website says it will be based out of JXB.

takingover
19th Sep 2008, 03:12
Perhaps an even greater concern is that once you have managed to get a place that you can afford (assuming that you can), the rising rents will outstrip any increase in housing allowance (if you get one - don't hold your breath), & make the whole deal finacially unviable from the second year on.

TidaBisa
19th Sep 2008, 03:46
Don't forget the 3 year bond:= I heard a new law passed in the UAE limiting rent increase to 7 % per year. As it stands housing and the 3 year bond is the reason I might decide against FlyD. And I am sure I am not the only one.

sunking
20th Sep 2008, 14:14
I'm with you, it all comes down to housing, the bond is'nt an issue if the housing is covered.

Jet II
20th Sep 2008, 18:30
Dont put any reliance on so-called rent increase limits. There are several ways to get around them and many people who thought they were safe have come unstuck.

On a brighter note, the pace of rent increases is going to slow over the next few years so if you do rent then the old horror stories of the landlord wanting 50-100% increases should cease.

Payscale
20th Sep 2008, 19:08
There will be loads of houses for sale around JXB. How about a townhouse in Al Badra. The are on the secondary market now at 15% premium.

andreasmarkus
29th Sep 2008, 04:09
WHAT KIND OF HOUSE MAY I RENT WITH FLYDUBAI ALLOWANCE...
THE SCHOOL ALLOWANCE IS ENOUGH FOR 2 CHILDREN...
HOW ABOUT THE WATER AND ELETRICITY FEES...
Thank s:eek:

TidaBisa
29th Sep 2008, 05:10
From the looks of it the allowance will work for a single guy with no family (i.e 1 bedroom or studio apt). For the family guy I think you might have to be out of pocket around $1000-$1500 USD per month to get decent housing for a family. A 3 bedroom apartment or villa.

BTW has anyone interviewed as yet? I am curious to know what FLYd is telling them about :

1. Housing--Advance payment ( Any COLA--cost of living increase due inflation).
2. Relocation--Are they offering anything (passes/tickets etc) for family who might be in North America or points beyond.
3. Type of flying & rostering.
4. Schooling allowance--For how many children maximum. Are kids from another marriage considered.
5. Destinations planned--Overnights or mostly day trips.

Also any info on the interview process will be appreciated.

Guy D'ageradar
29th Sep 2008, 07:27
contacted nice summary.

I will be moving back to Dubai in December and have been following the rental markets for some time. One thing that is very apparent is that everyone warns about the quality (or lack of it) of real estate agents and says "make sure you find a good one". However, I don't remember seeing one comment that provides this information! Here's the question put simply then....

Can anyone suggest any of the better estate agents in Dubai and/or those to absolutely avoid?

Eid Mubarak!

Guy

White Knight
29th Sep 2008, 08:14
Try 'Better Homes' - you'll find them on the web.

TidaBisa
29th Sep 2008, 12:34
FlyDubai is not offering accomodation and from the looks of it a very substandard housing allowance. I hope they realize that many who are offered jobs will not accept because of this housing issue. Unless you ofcourse have no job to begin with. I just can't see myself spending an extra 2,500/month USD on housing each month. My current contract gives me a villa fully paid for (utilities & all). My paycheck is free and clear
And then a training bond as well for current and qualified Capts? It's bad enough to be shelling out dough every month for housing and then to feel trapped by a bond. Plus you won't be flying 80 hrs for a while anyway. So you won't be making your full pay. I would like to know what they are telling folks during the screening. Anyone there as yet ??? Anyone???
Welcome to the sandpit!:=

fatbus
29th Sep 2008, 15:36
They will get ample 3rd world DEC's that will rent a run down place in SHJ , call it great , and commute the 2 hours per day to JXB- just what FD wants

Guy D'ageradar
30th Sep 2008, 06:52
white Knight and contacted

Thanks for the info - I used better homes last time and have been keeping an eye on their site - my problem is all the new agents that advertise in the Gulf News classifieds - without local knowledge / anecdotal information, it's not too evident sorting out the wheat from the chaff.

I will have accommodation for a few weeks on arrival, along with a decent (though not quite sufficient) allowance - so should be able to find something - just need to avoid the scumbags and rip-off merchants.

TTFN.

Guy :ok:

Jet II
30th Sep 2008, 16:16
it's not too evident sorting out the wheat from the chaff.

not convinced there is any wheat in the chaff - it's been my experience that all the agents in DXB are useless - I've dealt with one of the big companies listed earlier and a no-name agent out of the Gulf News - both were totally useless.

They were both very nice girls - just didn't know anything about real estate. :(

Also bear in mind that what is listed on their web-sites and in their ad's in the GN bear no relationship to what property they have available. :{

GMDS
1st Oct 2008, 08:19
- Hello. I'm referring to your add xxx for the Villa yyy.
- Great. Want to have a look? We'll meet tomorrow at 1600 at the gate of the community.
(you'll meet the nice girl, then drive three times past the house until she finally finds it)
- Yeah, we like it, so how do we proceed?
- I'll call the owner ----- oh, how unfortunate, it has just been sold/rented. but I have a very nice similar one just around the corner.
(you drive again to a shabbier spot of the community)
- OK, it's quite acceptable as well. how much?
- I'll call the owner ----- oh, it just went up 50000AED.
(a bloke shows up to ask what the hell you were doing on his property. The girl takes him aside and they have a heated debate)
- Well there seems to be a misunderstanding here. But we have a very nice Villa in Mirdif, if you want.....
( you might have to take it, because nothing else meets your wallet or standards.)
(You will pep up the house + garden just to have the landlord tell you a few months later to vacate, because his brother moves in, now that it looks nice .... unless you pay 100000AED more .... )

Plank Cap
1st Oct 2008, 11:54
Guy d'ageradar,

Please check your Private Messages.