View Full Version : CX F/O arrested ?

SweepTheLeg
17th Sep 2008, 10:59
South China Morning Post
Six men jointly charged with murder
Staff reporter
7:29pm, Sep 16, 2008
|

Six men were jointly charged on Tuesday with one count of murder at Big Wave Bay near Shek O on Saturday night, a police spokesman said.
The men, aged between 32 and 47, were arrested on Sunday and Monday. This follows the death of a 36-year-old man and an assault on four other men, aged from 34 to 36. The attacks occurred during a dispute in Big Wave Bay, Chai Wan, on Saturday night.

Police received report on Saturday night around 11.20pm — saying two groups of people were fighting in Big Wave Bay.

When they arrived there, they found a 36-year-old man with an injury to his neck and four other men hurt after an attacked by a group of people at Mid-Autumn festival barbecue.

The man was rushed to Pamela Youde Nethersole Eastern Hospital, where he was certified dead at 12.07am on Saturday. The other man suffered minor injures and was discharged from hospital.

The spokesman said investigations by officers of Regional Crime Unit of Hong Kong Island were continuing.

He urged people who may have witnessed the incident should contact police on tel: 2860-7845 or 2860-7846.

Noddys car
17th Sep 2008, 11:37
Hong Kong - A TV director and a commercial airline pilot are among seven people charged with murder following a deadly seaside brawl in Hong Kong, a news report said Wednesday. Ip Chun-fai, 34, who works with Hong Kong TV station TVB, and pilot David Chan, 33, were arrested after a 36-year-old man died in a brawl on Saturday night.

The victim, Leung Chi-wing, died after being hit on the head with a blunt object during a fracas at a barbecue site at Big Wave Bay resort near Shek O in Hong Kong.

The other five people charged with murder include a company director and an office clerk, according to the South China Morning Post newspaper.

The seven defendants appeared in Hong Kong's Eastern Court Tuesday where they each faced one count of murder. No pleas were entered and the seven were remanded into custody until Friday.

The incident took place during a holiday weekend in Hong Kong marking the mid-autumn festival. Big Wave Bay is a popular spot for weekend parties, barbecues and camping.

Fac6
17th Sep 2008, 16:52
I don't really want to read this on here thanks...

Cumguzzler
17th Sep 2008, 18:23
There is always the option NOT to read it.

N1 Vibes
17th Sep 2008, 21:51
Murder not manslaughter? If it was a dispute, as alleged by the SCMP, how do the police determine it as murder - i.e. pre-meditated?

Yes it's sad to read this, but even in the externally apparent safety and calm of HKG, personal tensions are quite often boiling just under the surface.

RIP

Bograt
18th Sep 2008, 13:20
His roster shows him on sick leave... Until sunday for duty

BlunderBus
18th Sep 2008, 15:26
ah he'll be back in a week...after all a woman just got four years for beating her 4 year old daughter to death ..after four years of breaking her bones from constant abuse....pity our legal system doesn't give a crap about children's rights....

Guru
18th Sep 2008, 16:38
Has he been convicted?

LarryDCableGuy
18th Sep 2008, 18:29
Convicted???

The crime just happened last weekend and it takes time to gather evidences, witnesses etc. There's no express justice my brother.

iflylow
19th Sep 2008, 02:12
South China Morning Post
Cathay Pacific pilot faces murder charge over seaside death
Simon Parry
Sep 19, 2008
|

A senior Cathay Pacific (SEHK: 0293) first officer is due to appear in Eastern Court this morning charged with murder after a man died in a seaside brawl near Shek O at the weekend.
David Chan, 33, who flies Airbus A340 planes for the Hong Kong airline, was being held in custody last night with seven other suspects charged with murdering 36-year-old Leung Chi-wing at Big Wave Bay last Saturday.

Chan, who joined Cathay Pacific in December 1998 and lives in Tung Chung, phoned his employers to say he was "unfit for duty" following his arrest.

The married pilot first appeared in court on Tuesday accused of murder, along with TVB (SEHK: 0511) director Ip Chun-fai, 34, director Sody Ko King-tat, 48, clerk Wong Sze-ho, 34, merchant Nelson Chow Kai-keung, 36, electrician Ngan Sun-chi, 48, and Chu Siu-keung, 32.

No pleas were taken and the men were remanded in custody until this morning pending further inquiries and an identification parade.

Later on Tuesday, an eighth suspect - a 45-year-old man surnamed Ngan - surrendered to police and was arrested. Last night he was charged with one count of murder and will appear in Eastern Court today.

A spokeswoman for Cathay Pacific said yesterday: "We can confirm that David Chan is a first officer on our Airbus fleet.

"He has been with Cathay for 10 years. He has informed the company that he is unfit for duty."

An airline insider said Chan had not been removed from flying duties, although it was likely the company would suspend him on full pay pending the outcome of the court proceedings.

"He is presumed innocent until proved otherwise," the source said. "As far as the airline is concerned, he has reported himself unfit for duty. They will obviously monitor the situation and see how it develops."

Chan is a member of the Aircrew Officers Association, which extends legal assistance to member pilots in certain circumstances. It is not known whether Chan has approached the association for help.

"I am aware of the case, but it is not something I am able to comment on at this stage," John Findlay, the association's general secretary, said.

Guru
19th Sep 2008, 16:28
If he has not even stood trial how come he is being talked about in the same way as the woman who had been sentenced for killing her daughter?

There actually is 'express justice', just read this forum more often!

broadband circuit
21st Sep 2008, 10:41
"He is presumed innocent until proved otherwise," the source said.

When did Cathay introduce this policy?

404 Titan
21st Sep 2008, 12:21
ИЖйЂЮЯДФ Oh sh*t. ﭯﭵﭘטּﭔﭪפּﭵ abcdefg…… 12345……. broadband circuit you are one lucky son of a b***h. You nearly owed me a new key board after I nearly choked on my coffee. Very funny.:D

The Messiah
21st Sep 2008, 13:13
how do the police determine it as murder - i.e. pre-meditated?
Only murder in the 1st degree is pre-meditated, murder in the 2nd is not.

14MonthInterview
21st Sep 2008, 14:13
You must be american, HK doesn't have that distinction!

The Messiah
22nd Sep 2008, 07:35
Not American just watched a lot of Boston Legal. Being a colony I would have thought HK would follow the Westminster system?

katana
22nd Sep 2008, 09:22
police only charge for murder, and only a court can reduce it to manslaughter

arse
22nd Sep 2008, 09:47
Completely off thread, but isn't the Westminster system a parlimentary system? It sounds very impressive, but I am not sure if it is applicable here?

The Messiah
22nd Sep 2008, 10:20
Yes it is. It is a democratic system and would be the system under which the court would then operate ie. innocent until proven guilty and all that.(I think?)

But in any case as Hong Kong is an SAR it doesn't matter, so I will now shut up.:)

N1 Vibes
22nd Sep 2008, 21:53
Katana,

interesting, many thanks for the reply.

Rgd's

N1

slapfaan
23rd Sep 2008, 00:47
...airline pilot are among seven people charged with murder following a deadly seaside BRAWL in Hong Kong...

Probably fighting over bones..nice one mate!!:ouch:

Arcla
23rd Sep 2008, 01:07
Katana,

As far as I know the police only gather all the evidence and that gets sent to the attorney general (or whatever they get called in Hong Kong). It is they that then decide what charge to lay - be it murder or manslaughter.

Murder is a more difficult charge as it requires not only the act of murder BUT also the intent to kill at the time of committing the crime.
It may be difficult to prove that during a brawl they intended to kill the man.
However they will take the view of what a "reasonable man" would have expected the outcome of this brawl to be - Grievous Body harm or murder.

All that being said - The man is innocent until proven otherwise!! So let him have his day in court.

controlledCHAOS
28th Sep 2008, 07:07
What's the latest on this..is he out of jail?