PDA

View Full Version : 101 things not to do before you pop your clogs

eticket
17th Sep 2008, 11:50
Following on from a piece in the Sun reviewing a forthcoming book, (yes THE SUN, I know, I know, I know).
Must-see trips not worth bothering with, says book | The Sun |News (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/article1698188.ece)

For those with a firewall the author includes: Taj Mahal, Thailand, Machu Picchu, Sky Diving and white water rafting.

What are the experiences or places that are 'raved' about that you would rather not have done or gone to?

For me, as a disappointment, I would have to include New Orleans pre-Katrina. It was a real let down compared to what I was expecting.

One9iner
17th Sep 2008, 12:02
- T5
- The Tate Modern has gone badly down hill
- To watch the Oxford Cambridge boat race from the bank of the Thames.. boring! zzzzzzzzzz

niknak
17th Sep 2008, 12:12
Pay to eat anything served at McDonalds, Subway or KFC.:yuk:

alemaobaiano
17th Sep 2008, 12:13
Getting up to 101 might be a bit tough, but some of the places/experiences that I found disappointing are.....

1. The Pyramids, and basically Egypt as a whole, except the Cairo Museum.
2. Carnaval in Rio
3. The Phillie Cheese Steak
4. Chichen Itza
5. A live baseball game....loved the hot dog though :}
6. Mexico City
7. Pizza in Italy
8. Scuba diving
9. Riding a camel
10. The Panama Canal

Nothing against any of these places or activities, but they didn't live up to the expectations I had before I tried them.

Alemaobaiano

The SSK
17th Sep 2008, 12:16
Amsterdam
Paris
Rome
Germany

tony draper
17th Sep 2008, 12:33
One recalls being rather disappointed at the Niagra Falls,one had a mental picture from childhood of summat ten miles wide and 3000 feet high,an it weren't.
:uhoh:

gingernut
17th Sep 2008, 12:38
When the Queen came round for tea the other day, I thought she appeared a little shorter than she does on Telly.

The Real Slim Shady
17th Sep 2008, 12:39
Waikiki......Blackpool with dollars.

Napa Valley.....bl88dy expensive.

Havana......be nice when it's finished.

Dubai....all dust and cranes.

If you can get a visa, Myanmar is an astonishing country, ignoring the military govt of course.

and closer to home, Berlin, which never fails to be interesting.

Rainboe
17th Sep 2008, 12:42
True. Everyone focuses on the usual hackneyed tourist 'must see' sights. It's the ones you have probably never heard of that really stun you. One of the most wonderful things I have seen has been the pyramids at Teotihuacan (?) near Mexico City. That is stunning. Egyptian Pyramids pretty good. I'd like to go see that thing in Cambodia. But the Taj Mahal is supposed to be a total disappointment. Don't do Stonehenge. Pompeii not bad. But few are the works of man worth a long journey!

Fly-by-Wife
17th Sep 2008, 13:10
the Taj Mahal is supposed to be a total disappointment

Not just the TM - India is the filthiest place I've ever had the misfortune to visit - cities, towns and countryside.

Makes London look positively pristine in comparison!

It's the fly-tipping and wanton carelessness about littering that is the problem, not poverty per se. That's what makes it all the more depressing.

FBW

Ace Rimmer
17th Sep 2008, 13:33
One9iner: That's cos you did it wrong.

1 Find pub or better still rowing club bar
2. Drink
3. Leap/stagger outside (or lean out window if upstairs) watch boats go by
4. laugh at folks drenched by wash of following flotilla
5. Repeat step 2

One9iner
17th Sep 2008, 13:43
I don't disagree with steps one & two but all of the decent establishments in the area I was in at the time were full - over capacity to be honest .. so after a long wait to get served, we then popped outside to have a look at the boats going past - boring - and once they had we didn't really want to stick around in such a busy area . .

so it was a case of

1.drink
2. watch the boats.. zzzzzzz
3. finish drink
4. go to a pub somewhere else where we could get served within half an hour:ok:

seacue
17th Sep 2008, 15:09
Blue Grotto, Capri
Capri in general
Waitomo Glowworm Caves, New Zealand - guess I just don't like caves
Alhambra, Granada - Topkapi much better
Arles - visit Nimes and Orange instead

OTOH:
Carlsbad Caverns - a cave I did like [decades ago].

Sallyann1234
17th Sep 2008, 15:48
When the Queen came round for tea the other day, I thought she appeared a little shorter than she does on Telly.
I told her to stop wearing those high heels - they were damaging my wood floors.

Ace Rimmer
17th Sep 2008, 15:57
Yep my fault there shoulda included step 0.5 (which solves the booze aquisition problem)

0.5 Join a rowing club that's between Putney and Chiswick bridges ideally AK, Furnivall or Sons of the Thames (although the view of splashing isn't as good from Sons) or become friends with someone who is....

and...step 6
Spend evening club crawling...repeating step 2...

ahhhhh hazy memories of many boat race nights past....

Davaar
17th Sep 2008, 16:27
Trip by hot-air balloon. Best left to David Niven and that other chap, supposed to be funny. You go because a misguided well-wisher has given you a gift trip. I gather this covers 99.998% of the patrons. The trip begins early when you are still half-asleep. There are two seasons: cold and hot. I can speak only to the cold. It is like "St Agnes' Eve" by Keats ("...Ah! bitter chill it was, the owl for all his feathers was a-cold, the hare limped trembling through the frozen grass, and silent was the flock in woolly fold" -- that approaches it). You suffer an overwhelming desire to jump out, and there is not much to hold on to. It goes far too high. You are packed in a smallish wicker box with too many others. The hot season is much the same, I am told, save that it is not cold but hot and you are eaten alive by mosquitoes, from which there is no refuge. The landing is a crash. Think about it. What else could it be? You -- and for sure I -- are at the bottom of the heap of the too many others. Forget the champagne, which they will certainly offer. Get in car and go immediately to restaurant for hot breakfast. Wanna go again? Not a chance.

merlinxx
17th Sep 2008, 18:10
Not going back to Nigeria or Jeddah or Sanaa or anywhere that doesn't smell like the Sussex downs on a summers day.

tony draper
17th Sep 2008, 19:11
One would like to gaze upon The Holy Stone of Clonrichert on Craggy Island before one passes over.
:uhoh:

Captain Stable
17th Sep 2008, 20:59
1) Incest
2) Folk dancing
(apologies to Oscar Wilde)
3) Morocco
4) Ibiza
5) Daniel O'Donnell gig
(What has fifty three legs, 7 teeth and smells of pee? The front row of a Daniel O'Donnell audience.)

Ancient Mariner
17th Sep 2008, 21:24
1. Morroco :eek:
2. Egypt :*
3. Morroco :eek:
4. Egypt :*
5. Morroco :eek:
6. Morroco :eek:
7. Taj Mahal :yuk:
8. Anything touristy in the USoA :=
9. A certain police station in Manzanillo, Mexico :ouch:
10. A certain police station in Santos, Brazil :ouch:
11. A certain police station in Fort Lauderdale, USA :ouch:

I have found the rest of the world to be quite nice. :cool:
Per

tinpis
17th Sep 2008, 22:11
You go because a misguided well-wisher has given you a gift trip.

Anything to do with hairyplanes,warbirds,parachute,aerobatic joy flight etc

merlinxx
17th Sep 2008, 22:31
Hey Tiny, don't you like being above ground level?

luckybrazi
17th Sep 2008, 22:35
I'd like to add a special YEUCH for Tunisia:eek::{:ugh::mad::mad::mad:
Not the country btw but the people were :mad:, you may find different, of course:*:}

merlinxx
17th Sep 2008, 22:44
What ho, what pissed you off so in Tunisia? I've never had a snag on business or vacation, interested. RSVP

arcniz
18th Sep 2008, 00:11
Surely the Alhambra in Granada does not belong on this list. Such a nice little country place, comfortably hung on a breezy hillside, luscious green gardens distracting from the potential heat, one's hareem not more than a hop, skip and jump from the reflecting pool. Easy there with a tum-full of paella and Rioja to imagine one's self as a highly-actualised 14th-century Caliph-alike, ensconced in a small but elegant corner of heaven-in-the hills.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/30/Partal_at_Alhambra_01.jpg/180px-Partal_at_Alhambra_01.jpg

My magikal secret to greatly enjoying most idle travel experiences is easy enough to remember: Engage the process with the lowest possible expectations going in. If sincerely done in advance, and with sufficient spiritual energy, then one will have already suffered so much in anticipation that the disgusting/annoying/pitiable reality comes off as a considerable relief and pleasure.

Similar advice might apply to marrying one's dearest foreigner, per earlier thread above.

In fact..., probably this might be a good plan for marrying, in general.

CityofFlight
18th Sep 2008, 06:54
I try to approach my traveling to seek not the only the sights, but the culture and the locals. I've yet to be disappointed. This world is full of wonders that don't include just the scenery.

But I will take some of your comments in mind in my future travel considerations! :O

Rush2112
18th Sep 2008, 07:33
I must have been quite lucky as few things I have done or places I have been have been a disappointment. I highly recommend Angkor Wat, and indeed Siem Reap, and I would also give a special mention to Borobudur in central Java as a sight well worth seeing. Of the natural things I've seen, Lake Toba in Sumatra is pretty awesome, as is Mount Bromo in East Java.

I would not be in a hurry to go back to Florence, and I am happy to leave Venice as having spent a morning there and to never return, but they are the only places I've been that I just feel "meh" about. I saw the Venus de Milo and the Mona Lisa while in the Louvre last year, that was also a bit "so what's all the fuss about?", but I have seen them and can tick the box.

Phuket I can take or leave, although as a stag weekend venue it has a certain "je ne sais quoi"...

Gainesy
18th Sep 2008, 10:21
Another vote for Morocco.:yuk:

G-CPTN
18th Sep 2008, 10:34
Bondi Beach . . .

Rush2112
19th Sep 2008, 04:42
^^^ Hmm, good point sir. I had forgotten we'd been to Bondi Beach, and failed to see what all the fuss was about. OK, it was a decent enough beach but nothing special.

Fareastdriver
19th Sep 2008, 09:42
China is worth a look but better as an individual traveller. Going with a tour group means getting up at the crack of dawn and rushing about everywhere. You see lots of factory shops as well, where the guide is planning to get the commission out of your purchases.
Beijing and Xian are really the only places worth visiting in the north, anywhere else are just big cities. The Forbidden Palace and Summer Palace have had a long overdue revamp for the Olympics so they are now spick and span. As far as the Great Wall is concerned go to Badaling. Jinshangling is the other visiting site but there is only one way in and you run the gauntlet of hawkers and beggars plus there are more factories and shops for your bus to stop at.
Xian itself is a fascinating walled city and the Terracotta warriors take some beating. In both places you can either get yourself on a day tour or flash out a bit more and get the hotel to organise a car.
Spring and autumn or the best times, it's too hot in summer and too cold in winter.
The Three Gorges is finished. All the interesting bits are under 100 metres of water.

Skypilot
19th Sep 2008, 10:30
Anyone who says that the Taj Mahal isn't worth visiting is a soulless cynic. So what if the river next to it has become polluted? That can't stop it from being one of the world's most most awesomely beautiful buildings.

Similarly, arriving at Machu Picchu at dawn after walking the Inca Trail is simply stunning. Three days of trekking through the Andes, chancing across amazing Inca ruins every few miles and sleeping under inky-black star-filled skies, was one of the highlights of my life to date!

The Real Slim Shady
19th Sep 2008, 11:18
Went to the Alhambra and it was shut!!! Too many tourists in all ready so no more tickets, and that was at 1 pm.

Belfast is a good place to body swerve: it's a bit like Glasgow, but on a really bad day in 1972.

Pinky the pilot
19th Sep 2008, 11:38
9. A certain police station in Manzanillo, Mexico
10. A certain police station in Santos, Brazil
11. A certain police station in Fort Lauderdale, USA

Now pray tell O ancient one.
There must be interesting stories behind those statements!
Care to elucidate?

lexxity
19th Sep 2008, 11:54
The leaning tower of Pisa. Full of Somalians hawking fake rolex, etc. Total disappointment, still it only cost us EUR3 each to get there on the train from Livorno.

621andy
19th Sep 2008, 11:57
Venice- stinking rip-off town:*

Paris- see above!

London- see above!

Berlin though, one of my faves, along with Milan.

Davaar- Dunno who you flew with, but sounds like a cowboy outfit:hmm: -apart from the early morning bit...we all do that;)

If you can get a visa, Myanmar is an astonishing country, ignoring the military govt of course
-Visa is no problem at all- Just off to pick up my business visa from Geneva now! Wonderful country. I'll be going back for my 6th visit in october, for 4 months flying over the temples.

Ancient Mariner
19th Sep 2008, 12:30
@ Pinky the pilot.
Re my 9, 10 and 11.
Young sailor, hot-tempered, immortal, invincible, slightly intoxicated..................and broke, when they finally let me go. And all that even before I had my tattoo.:hmm:
These days one will have to delete "young" and "sailor" from the above. :{

And for skypilot, I suppose I am a soulless cynic, but Taj Mahal was a total dissapointment after 5 hours in a hot bus from New Dehli. Heck, even wifey though so.
Per

Saintsman
19th Sep 2008, 19:08
Did the Grand Canyon trip one year in March. Snow at the hotel before we left, arrived to find the cloud base lower than us and it was bitterly cold.

We couldn't wait to leave. Thought it was just a big hole in the ground.

arcniz
19th Sep 2008, 19:46
Thought it was just a big hole in the ground.

What happened? Did someone fill it in? Perhaps their lease ran out.

Seems a very helpful illustration of how one's expectations may flavour perceived result.

Perhaps that dry dent in the desert would seem perkier if one were to think of it as the portal to Gaia's vagina.

al446
20th Sep 2008, 13:53
Don't EVER go to Tangier:=

tony draper
20th Sep 2008, 15:15
Frankly if one could score for meals on wheels one would never leave the house.
One has seen the world and found it wanting.:rolleyes:

FlyingOfficerKite
20th Sep 2008, 15:51
The Caribbean, especially:

Barbados - partner attacked and assaulted :mad:
Barbados - robbed :mad:

Jamaica - Kingston Airport - cleanliness, delays, people :yuk:
Jamaica - Ocho Rios :eek:
Jamaica - hurricane :ugh:
Jamaica - lost luggage :ugh:

Dominican Republic - rain, rain, rain :{
Dominican Republic - swim with dolphin (great); weather - colder than UK on that day!:ugh:

Still have good memories, so even these issues were not enough to outweigh the good things - which it has to be said relate to the location, climate and wildlife! :)

Unfortunately, as with all things in life, they're not all they're cracked up to be! :*

FOK :)

G-CPTN
20th Sep 2008, 16:23
Whilst (as already stated) Bondi Beach was, for me, a big so what after the extensive (though admittedly 'cool') Northumbrian beaches such as Beadnell and Embleton (pan and zoom north from:- Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world! (http://wikimapia.org/#lat=55.5229949&lon=-1.6180801&z=13&l=0&m=a&v=2) and south from:- Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world! (http://wikimapia.org/#lat=55.3635028&lon=-1.6180801&z=13&l=0&m=a&v=2) ) I nevertheless felt humbled standing at the Three Sisters near Katoomba and seeing short scrubby 'bushes' in Jamison Valley as far as the eye could see and thinking "I suppose that must the [I]bush[I] that they speak of . . . "

acbus1
20th Sep 2008, 18:39
101 things not to do before you pop your clogs.

Put shoes on.

101 times.

seacue
20th Sep 2008, 20:20
I suppose that Bondi gets its reputation since it is a fairly good beach right in a major city.

Romeo India Xray
20th Sep 2008, 20:35
Bondi - OK but nothing special

Wakiki - worst hell hole on earth - should be sunk, will not go back there as long as I am drawing breath. Ibiza without the clubs and the British chavs replaced with American Chavs, how glorious! Have been told the other islands are OK, not prepared to chance it myself.

RIX

Davaar
20th Sep 2008, 20:53
China is worth a look but better as an individual traveller

But make sure you go to the loo/john/lavatory/bathroom call it what you will before embarking on any train on which Nature may call you to the "facilities". That does not just require making aim for the hole in the middle of the floor, because you never get close to that. Why not? It is because of the slushing tide of urine/faecal matter that swills to and fro and back and forth with every movement of the carriage.