PDA

View Full Version : HBOS, Lloyds in merger talks

Richard Taylor
17th Sep 2008, 09:32
Seems the "advanced talks" have stemmed the losses in the bank sector - HBOS share price was down +50%, now down only 9%!

Lloyds share price up.

Proof again that it's not Govts that control the economy, it's the stock market, share traders & speculators.

NIGELINOZ
17th Sep 2008, 09:40
Proof again that it's not Govts that control the economy, it's the stock market, share traders & speculators

Spot On Mr T,:ok:
But with the calibre of some governments perhaps that's a good thing!;)

dead_pan
17th Sep 2008, 11:25
Given the huge amount of liquity swilling around the system even now (not all of it has rushed for the save havens of gold etc), I don't think anyone is really in control. Governments can do relatively little to influence events and improve sentiment.

The rise of the hedge funds have had a lot to do with the situation we find ourselves in at present. These businesses are not subject to any serious scrutiny and, through their actions in their continuous quest for 'alpha', create massive volatility in markets.

DP

SpringHeeledJack
17th Sep 2008, 13:22
The rise of the hedge funds have had a lot to do with the situation we find ourselves in at present. These businesses are not subject to any serious scrutiny and, through their actions in their continuous quest for 'alpha', create massive volatility in markets.

I would agree and if it were just a private p1ssing contest between the lads I don't think that anyone would much care, but that they do it in public, in relative darkness and leave others to clear up the stains and smell is a sign of the characters involved. Corporate narcissistic sociopaths ?

Regards

SHJ