PDA

View Full Version : Tattoo...any ideas?

Sikpupi
17th Sep 2008, 08:35
Hi.....

Hit the big 40 soon and as a present to myself was thinking of getting myself a Tattoo. Finally breaking out and doing something radical!!!!!!

The wife is luving it...an even says that she will pay for it!!

I fancy one on the top of the arm (well hidden when wearing a short-sleeve shirt!) and am looking for designs that would mean something to me.

No Chinese, Maori, Arabic, Punjani etc...but would love a Celtic / Gaelic theme.

The wife says that I should get the names of her and the 2 kids done in some sort ancient Gaelic...at least that way it will be a talking point.

I love watching that Miami Ink.....but can't understand why people get those elaborate designs with all that colour ink..surely in time it will become a 'blob'. Also..how come they never discuss money and prices!!

Anyway....any ideas from this forum will be appreciated. Am still in the 'thinking phase' at this stage......

Sikky

17th Sep 2008, 08:52
How's about a huge tattoo on your back of your favourite football team's manager.

I've seen some of those Newcastle fans do it and it looks great . . . :\

Howard Hughes
17th Sep 2008, 09:02
-LOVE/HATE across your knuckles.
-Spiderwebs on your elbows.
-a W on each bum cheek.
-a big eagle/dragon across your back
-'Welcome to the West Indies have a nice day' on your...;)

In all seriousness my only real suggestion is don't get a woman/mans name tattooed on you, unless of course it is your parent/childs name...:ok:

MagnusP
17th Sep 2008, 09:06
Try luckyfishart.com for a huge range of celtic designs. I took my first foray into body art at the age of 50. We'd just spent 2 weeks snorkelling on the Big Island of Hawai'i (OK; for pedants, in the water just OFF the Big Island of Hawai'i) and I got a turtle tat on my shoulderblade as swimming with the turtles was a magical experience. Never regretted it.

Cheers,
Magnus

13thDuke
17th Sep 2008, 09:22
Finally breaking out and doing something radical!!!!!!

I'd say not having a tattoo was quite radical these days. :hmm:
But if you must, why not have an enormous Breitling tattoed on your wrist?

SpringHeeledJack
17th Sep 2008, 09:29
If you're particularly well endowed, I would recommend an elephant's head just below your navel and the trunk.......you might need to shave the moustache off as I did, so that it doesn't look too 70s :E

I have been forced to sit through many episodes of Miami Ink and I remember Armin James saying that Yohji (his apprentice) could look forward to "making over $1000 per day" when he was deemed qualified...... Almost as good as a pilot :8

By doing some napkin calculations, I reckon that they do perhaps 3 or 4 clients per day, bearing in mind that they must sketch the artwork beforehand, so..... I think that the average small tattoo would cost between $300-$500 depending on which one of the stars was chosen. I'm sure that someone know here.

Regards

SHJ

Left Coaster
17th Sep 2008, 09:43
I got mine when I finally connected enough lines of LAT and LONG to officially have flown around the world. I got one that looks suspiciously like the Jeppessen wings found on a chart, with our childrens' birthdates in roman numerals under the wings. Up high on the right shoulder, and because it means something, I never have regretted doing it.
Have fun...:ok:

BladePilot
17th Sep 2008, 10:17
Sikpupi
Got mine at 42yrs old in a spot where the normal business attire covers it but where it can be seen on days off! No regrets.

Do a bit of research and have a bit of a story behind your choice be original and stay away from all that sh:mad:t in the highstreet Tattoo parlours! The Celtic designs are fabulous, I have one complex line drawing single colour (black) no infill. The guy who did it for me was well impressed and rates it as one of his favourite pieces ever! I thought about what I wanted for months and did a lot of research which included a private visit to a museum and an incredible meeting with the curator who helped me with a lot of historic records.

Goodluck

Be brave, it doesn't hurt a bit honest!!

Scooby Don't
17th Sep 2008, 10:46
Do you have a family crest or motto? That's going to be original unless your family motto is LOVE/HATE and the crest is a naked women of ample proportions, wreathed in a Celtic band.... :}

Mine is part of a family crest, updated a touch. I did once, when weekend warrioring, see a soldiers tattoo of a naked women, modelled on his wife so he claimed, legs akimbo and with a vampire bat feeding. I considered it a 7 for originality and a 1 for taste... :yuk:

Skypilot
17th Sep 2008, 11:04
I'm with the 13thDuke - what's the least bit radical about jumping on a fashion bandwagon?

Seriously, you'll be stuck with what is no more than a fashion accessory for the rest of your life. Fast forward ten years or so and I reckon you'll find it pretty embarrassing! After all, would anyone today want to have to wear that flower-power shirt that seemed so cool back in the seventies? And you'd feel pretty silly now if you still had to put on that eighties pork-pie hat every time you left the house, wouldn't you?

17th Sep 2008, 11:18
I did once, when weekend warrioring, see a soldiers tattoo of a naked women, modelled on his wife so he claimed, legs akimbo and with a vampire bat feeding. I considered it a 7 for originality and a 1 for taste...

.....ROFL :D ......

haughtney1
17th Sep 2008, 11:24
"Born to lose"

Across your forehead :} ;)

Ancient Mariner
17th Sep 2008, 11:32
Break out and do something radical. Don't get a tattoo, they're a dime a dozen at the moment. Seen anyone without one lately?
Per

henry crun
17th Sep 2008, 11:32
BladePilot: If he has to be brave to face something that doesn't hurt, what would you suggest he do for something that will hurt ? :confused:

BEagle
17th Sep 2008, 11:46
Apart from 'traditional' seamen's tattoos, anything else is pretty dire.

My misfortune to see a group of overweight, sun reddened slobs just back from Argos, Pathos, Domestos or some other Mediterranean island last week. The sight of a waddling old sow with tattoos all over her arms nearly made me want to puke....:yuk:
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg
Why do they do it? And why do they add bits of scrap metal to various body parts?

The image of Brits abroad is of overweight,tattooed, pierced drunken slobs who throw up in the gutters of long-suffering tourist resorts........

....and that's just the females!

niknak
17th Sep 2008, 12:08
I'm with BEagle.

Recently I saw a young lady of perhaps 15 or 16 years old, who had "Gemma and Johnathon for ever" entwined through a couple of love hearts, tattooed on the back of her neck. I'd love to be a fly on the wall come the day Johnathon (or Gemma) decides that it's all over.

I also know of a trawlerman who has had the names of the loves of his life tattooed on his forearm, when he falls out with them he has their name crossed out. On a couple of occassions he's got back together with the same lady, thereby requiring a their name to be reinstated further up the list.
The left arm is full and there's not much room left on the right, I haven't asked him "where next?".:)

Rainboe
17th Sep 2008, 12:48
Spot on BEagle! Keep your body unspoilt! Revolting.

ShyTorque
17th Sep 2008, 13:12
I was going to have my old man tattooed as a novelty lookalike of the Mumbles Lighthouse, with the title along the length.

I gave up on the idea when the female tattooist said there was only enough room for the word "Mum". :(

lomapaseo
17th Sep 2008, 13:30
Get a tattoo that is hidden, lasting and entertaining. Ones that move or change shape on shaded parts of the body can fit this bill.

Consider the change in your belly over the next 30 years and get a tattoo around you belly button that will provide many hours of entertainment in later life when lightly fondled.

Wader2
17th Sep 2008, 14:08
A discrete butterfly at 15.

A bald eagle at 70.

Try indelible ink. It will wash off in time :}

Binoculars
17th Sep 2008, 14:15
I would have thunk that if you needed ideas on what to get engraved on you, why are you bothering to get engraved? As several others have said, it hardly makes you stand out from the crowd these days. Do you see it as an adventure?

Just curious.

jammydonut
17th Sep 2008, 14:21
The only tattoo is your blood group in your armpit - the most protected part of your body in a fire or serious accident.
Only really sad inadequates have body tattoos and piercings.

BlueDiamond
17th Sep 2008, 14:27
Only really sad inadequates have body tattoos and piercings.
Awful lot of sad, inadequate women running around wearing earrings in their pierced ears then.

13thDuke
17th Sep 2008, 14:37
How true Bluey, how true.....

:E

angels
17th Sep 2008, 14:39
Sad? Not me.

Inadequate? Not me.

Arrogant generalising by jammy? Seemingly.

Got a nice English rose on my arm. Never regretted it. :ok:

winglit
17th Sep 2008, 14:45
I occasionally see airlines from Continental Europe and it amazes me to see the amount of their passengers that are adorned with extra metal. I bet even if they went through the beeping doorway naked they would still beep.

I was even more surprised to meet several male flight deck members sporting earrings.

It's so naff!

The best tattoo I've ever seen was on a man's arm. It looked like the skin had been ripped open and you could see the muscles underneath. They actually moved with his arm's movement. Very clever, but a little creepy.

Davaar
17th Sep 2008, 14:52
I gave up on the idea when the female tattooist said there was only enough room for the word "Mum".

I am against tattoos at almost all costs, save as someone suggests above to show your blood group, or as navigational marks for surgery or radiotherapy. Anything else evokes the concentration camp or membership in the SS or Waffen SS.

In your case, though, Shy, the attempt appears to have sounded a valuable collateral alarm. I offer two suggestions:
(a) a preliminary visit to a younger more attractive lady tattooist and
(b) if (a) does not give a better result than before, then a visit to a competent physician.

You evidently suffer from "acorn disease", or hyperdevelopment of what should be developed.

mr fish
17th Sep 2008, 15:46
be REALLY brave, get your c:mad:k pierced:eek:

ShyTorque
17th Sep 2008, 16:27
(a) a preliminary visit to a younger more attractive lady tattooist

Yes, good idea - it was the moustache that really put me off and it was a cold day anyway :yuk:

I think I might just get my conk pierced instead, as Mr. Fish suggested...... at least I think he meant conk ;)

(Oh no he didn't).

Got a nice English rose on my arm. Never regretted it.

You will if your wife sees her... :E

Davaar
17th Sep 2008, 16:38
One does not wish, Shy, to labour the -- ummm! -- point, but on the Great Plains they tell of the chap who turned up at Emergency. On admission chart elderly nurse noted "odd discolouration" of dong. Intrigued probationer made further investigation, amended "odd discolouration" on chart to read "Saskatoon, Saskatchewan".

Standard Noise
17th Sep 2008, 16:39
Freaked Mrs N out when I said I'll get a tattoo of a red hand on my upper arm next time Ulster win the Heineken Cup.

Took her a while to realise it ain't likely to happen.

Binoculars
17th Sep 2008, 16:41
I knew it would happen. I agree totally and utterly with Davaar. I tell myself it is just the law of averages, and I'm sure he will fervently hope that is true.

..... a preliminary visit to a younger more attractive lady tattooist

I'm not a brave man. I don't suffer pain very well, and I fear that even if Elle MacPherson were my tattooist, once the needle started the swelling would go down very quickly. I don't think I would benefit in the least from a visit to a competent physician. In fact I would rather spend the time waiting in Dr MacPherson's waiting room for things to start looking up again.

I would be happy to make a thirty six hour appointment. I'm not brave but I never, ever give up.

ShyTorque
17th Sep 2008, 16:51
"Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

Thanks Davaar, that made me feel much better. Measured it on screen; only two inches for that gent to boast about.

Everyone knows the saying: "Mighty oaks from little acorns grow" :ok: Anyway, never received any complaints and it always seemed to do the trick when I got the chance.

As the lady said: "Is that a big rabbit tattoed on there?"
I said: "No, it's just a little hare".

fitliker
17th Sep 2008, 17:24
Start a new fashion get your testicles tattooed :E:E
Could be the first ones on the beach :}:}

Or you get the old fashioned English St.Georges cross over the heart just like the old Prince of Wales

Sikpupi
17th Sep 2008, 18:01
Replying to Binoculars above.....would look at having something 'original' and 'personal' that is MINE...and in effect means something to me. Hence the referance to my family ...I suppose it's like carrying a photograph around and being proud of it!!!! Thats why a an Egyptian Pharoah or a Hummingbird would not be on my list.

The Celtic / Gaelic theme would be fitting for an Irishman.

The desire to get a tattoo is not for fashion statements etc...!! If I got a tattoo ...it would be a personal statement.

....still thinking !!!!!!

Sikky

Davaar
17th Sep 2008, 18:18
It is all very well for coarse fellows to speculate on such hazards, but Truth can be harsh.

One chap who was shot down in the Unpleasantness recalled his wounds being treated in hospital . There were "faint stirrings"; but all was well, because Matron was present and screeched "Flight Lieutenant X, You can cut out that nonsense right away!", and by golly it worked.

I hesitate to go further, because a moderator once reproved me for over-disclosure of medical adventures. Oh what the hell? I do myself have three tiny tattoos, dots really, widely across the chest and tum in an equilateral triangle to help the radiologists ply their sordid trade in one of the big adventures.

Said tum presented a hop-scotch pattern of brand-new cuts, endlessly interesting to the attractive nurses of the Royal Marsden Hospital . Here they would poke and there prod, and then a "dressing", at times perilously "close". Could these girls have been as innocent as they seemed? One was from Goondiwindi, remember. I was in fear that this might lead to a "Chap with the Matron" situation, but I had never seen Matron, so I did what I could, I concentrated my thoughts on the mystery of the Trinity, and the Holy Ghost looked after the problem.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
17th Sep 2008, 18:23
Tattoo? Wot, have you already gone the goatee beard and shaved head route and need some other mainstream identity to display in public?Sorry, not worth it and certainly not radical.

Davaar
17th Sep 2008, 18:27
I knew it would happen. I agree totally and utterly with Davaar.

Now here's a problem! What does he mean when he says he agrees? On the one hand, it could mean he agrees. On the other hand, might it mean, just possibly, he agrees? I shall close the office for the rest of the day. This is what Holmes would call a two-pipe problem. One must not be hasty.

larssnowpharter
17th Sep 2008, 18:45
Really, tattoos are just so passe.:eek:

If you really want to go down the road of inflicted pain (tattoos hurt) and enter the camp of sadomasocihism (trust me there IS a connection) why not go a step further.

A previous poster has already mentioned a little steel here and there might help. However, please do make sure that such adornments are sugical quality steel. I am sure if you Google 'Prince Albert' you will get the general idea.

Given the current financial crisis that seems to be upon us, what about investing in some sub cutaneous pearls (of wisdom?). At best would hedge your investments at worst might please your partner!

Um... lifting...
17th Sep 2008, 19:04
How about:

"Do not bury in Jewish cemetery"

merlinxx
17th Sep 2008, 19:22
Bollocks on yer bollocks, then you'll not forget what their called when you get old and shagged out!

Yeah and of course, don't forget WENDY under yer five skin:E

Reluctant737
17th Sep 2008, 20:24
One word of advice - do consider very carefully before having anything injected into your body permanently. As I have stated in a previous thread, I am looking into laser treatment but I am not going to delude myself with being hopeful; my tattoos comprise of huge dragons all over my back together with ex's name(s) and so on so forth. I am FO 737 for Irish operator and never had a problem with them but I do wear a white t-shirt underneath my work shirt so as to keep them well and truly hidden. There are, unfortunately, still plenty of pompous toffs left in this industry who frown upon them and believe flying is still a grammar school/university geek profession... No, I couldn't work for big airways... :ugh:

Ad

dead_pan
17th Sep 2008, 20:37
If you've any connection with the navy you could always go for the anchor motif, however if you do make sure you don't get p*ssed and fall asleep at a mate's house - the temptation to write a 'W' in front with a permanent marker is all too tempting...

DP

BEagle
17th Sep 2008, 20:56
flying is still a grammar school/university geek profession...
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg
A grammar school? Oh dear me no, how frightfully common.

Tattoos are simply not appropriate for professionals. Some navvy with a pickaxe, perhaps. But they are utterly unacceptable in civilised society.

Um... lifting...
17th Sep 2008, 21:01
Female acquaintance once asked made the statement:

"I'd like to get a classy tattoo..."

arcniz
18th Sep 2008, 00:57
Various posters refer to the longer-term disadvantages of being self-labeled as "that sort of person". One concurs -- life is not so kind that you would want to walk about with any more disadvantages than circumstance has already provided you.

Perhaps you could arrange to subject yourself to a dreadful, disgusting, painfully absurd, terrifying or otherwise deeply scarring experience. Then you would have the best of both worlds.

Our you could do something REALLY extremely nice for someone and never tell a soul.

el #
18th Sep 2008, 01:14
At about 40 (now 5 years ago) I felt I was going toward a somewhat radical change in life and toyed with the idea of having a tattoo. There was an Inuit water snake that I absolutely loved and would have suited my inclinations perfectly. In the course of things I didn't got the tattoo after all and just went ahead with my life.

Five years have passed. I enjoyed being in great and not so good shape. I exposed my skin to ladies many many times, and to males too (at the beach or the gym). I learned a new language, acquired property, lost and made money, made friends and fought foes, lived a free life.

I don't regret anything I did. And I don't regret not having the tattoo done.

Richo77
18th Sep 2008, 01:21
Sikpuppy,

Dont listen to all the nay-sayers, if it's what YOU want to do then do it. We have had a few tat threads but ill reiterate anyway.

I've got 6 myself with more planned because its what i want and love, i don't give a tinkers cuss what anyone else thinks. In fact, my first tat (now 20 years old) reminds me of when i was 17 and its message to me is never forget who you are.

Four of my tats relate to my 2 beautiful children and anyone with the bottle to tell me im and i quote "sad and inadequate" better be looking forward to eating their meals through a straw and sneezing out the back of their head for the next six months.

The reason you never see money or too much blood or "real time" on Miami Ink is of course the "magic of TV", that and the fact the they are all pre-booked and pre-drawn, but made to look like they just walk in off the street (there is a waiting list over a year long), and i was told that by Chris Garver himself.

Bigger they are the more they cost, my back piece is being designed by a friend who is a graphic artist and will most likely cost me many thousands of dollars and a good 20 odd hours in the chair. It will tell the story of my life and have my entire family represented in some way. I can't freakin wait!!

Best advice for getting yours, research. Look into the type of design you want, find out how it will look if it reads and is spelt correctly. Find a tattoo artist with a good body of work, who does the kind of tat you want. Make a booking with them and TALK to them.

You will learn the most by talking to the artist, i know many tattoo artists and some ARE idiots, but some are absolute geniuses.

Good Luck to you, and please post a pic if you get the work done!

Richo

el #
18th Sep 2008, 02:03
Thousands of dollars for a tattoo that will tell the story of your young life and represent your family ? If you are a normally paid worker, do you think this proposition is morally sustainable ?

Why don't you spend the money to make a change, say in the life of somebody else or in your neighborhood, or invest for the future of your family ?

Hope your answer to these questions will not be reducing my ability to intake food in the next months as you bullied a dissenting opinion before.

My previous posts was pretty much in the sense of "do whatever is good for you, tattoo or not", talking about a $200 job perhaps. But more than that.. ask yourself ?

Richo77
18th Sep 2008, 02:36
el#,

Fair points all and i take them on board. Obviously if i am willing to spend thousands i am NOT a normally paid worker. I work hard for my money and have since i was 15, and due to a lot of hard work and time invested i am now paid well.

Its not all at once of course, its piece work (too much pain!) so usually no more than $500-$600 at a time and a month or so in between each session.

My family lack for nothing and their future is of course my number 1 priority and as is well looked after.

Perhaps i did "bully" a little as you put it, but that was in direct reference to an enormous generalisation which is something i cant stand. Bigotry, nothing less.

You think it appropriate for someone to assume i am sad and inadequate because i have tattoos?

Do you think if someone saw me in the pub on a Sunday arvo having a beer in a singlet, tattoos on display, shaven head and ripped jeans they could accurately judge me?

They wouldnt know a damn thing about me, but all they would have to do is ask.

There is nothing morally or otherwise i need to ask myself, i have no regrets and never will have, you cant change the past.

Standard Noise
18th Sep 2008, 02:41
How the hell did this become a thread about what is 'morally sustainable'?
If someone wishes to spend their hard earned cash on a tattoo, that is their business. They may have no need of patio furniture, a 52" plasma tv or even a car, so spending a few quid on a tattoo may well be their thing. It might possibly be morally questionable if their children ran around dressed in rags and were undernourished, but even then, that's their business.

Good luck to them I say.

kookabat
18th Sep 2008, 06:43
BEST tattoo ever.....

http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee27/kookabat/image_408.jpg

:}

WALSue
18th Sep 2008, 07:31
Tongue tattoos are the thing now (or eye ball tatts) :\

StbdD
18th Sep 2008, 07:44
Sikpuppy

Iíve known people who spent longer figuring out what shade to paint their bathroom than what to imprint their bodies with forever.

Do your research (while wondering why you have to research at all if this symbol is so important to you).

Then wait a year.

A lifetime is a long time to regret.

tinpis
18th Sep 2008, 08:10
Stunning :rolleyes:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/tattoo-1.jpg

BEagle
18th Sep 2008, 08:42
Female acquaintance once asked made the statement:

"I'd like to get a classy tattoo..."

Blonde, was she?

henry crun
18th Sep 2008, 08:55
tinpis: I once worked in an office which had a large poster on the wall similar to the one you have shown.

The big difference was that ours had a large arrow pointing to the central black hole, with the caption "You Are Here".

Checkboard
18th Sep 2008, 14:17
Do you think if someone saw me in the pub on a Sunday arvo having a beer in a singlet, tattoos on display, shaven head and ripped jeans they could accurately judge me?

Perhaps not, but I might think you were a violent thug.

... and anyone with the bottle to tell me im and i quote "sad and inadequate" better be looking forward to eating their meals through a straw and sneezing out the back of their head for the next six months.

... looks like I could be right, too.

sisemen
18th Sep 2008, 17:13
If one is a seaman then get a tattoo; if one is a bogan (chav) then get a tattoo; if one wishes to be immortalised by a member of the opposition in the next world war (the Nazis and the Japanese were, I gather, rather fond of lampshades made from the tanned skin of tattooed individuals) then get a tattoo.

If, however, one wishes to remain part of mainstream society and do not wish to be thought of as any of the above then sit down, have a beer, wait a year and then decide. If you still have leanings towards inappropriate primaeval body adornment then have another beer and wait a further year or until such times as common sense kicks in.

(Personally I'm waiting to see all those 80 year old ex chavs queuing at the Post Office for their pension with the cryptic messages tattooed across their foreheads and the spiderwebs round their necks and ears. One can just hear the current generation of chavs around the street corner on pension day .... "Nah then Grandad. Fink yer a bit 'ard do yer?"

Flintstone
18th Sep 2008, 17:28
Checkboard =

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:spcV2xYxrTkdRM:http://www.pressomatic.com/shellhall/upload/hammer%2520and%2520nail_web.JPG

Reluctant737
18th Sep 2008, 18:34
What a shame that the society we live in now places such stereotypes on how one wishes to personalise oneself. And that it is totally acceptable to sit down, 'have a beer' and proceed to injest drugs (i.e. alcohol) into ones body and yet a verbal hanging appears in order for aforementioned individual(s), including myself, who want(ed) a few pics on their bodies!
To all the silly feckers living in the stone age, get with it, we're in the 21st century now and in my mind you fall into the same general catagory as one who may turn up to the flight deck, find they're sharing it with a female/ethnic minority and turn up their nose. Like it or not, that's exactly what you're doing - the argument that somebody CHOOSES to have their body tattooed/pierced is absolutely irrelevant.

Would you stereotype a BMW driver? :E

I. M. Esperto
18th Sep 2008, 18:40
My buddies got me drunk in Pearl Harbor one night and convinced me to get my Navy Wings of Gold tattooed on my left breast. They even paid for it.:cool:

That was in 1956, and I still have them, but they are now in a 15 degree left bank.

Ancient Mariner
18th Sep 2008, 18:58
sisemen:
If one is a seaman then get a tattoo; if one is a bogan (chav) then get a tattoo; if one wishes to be immortalised by a member of the opposition in the next world war (the Nazis and the Japanese were, I gather, rather fond of lampshades made from the tanned skin of tattooed individuals) then get a tattoo.

If, however, one wishes to remain part of mainstream society and do not wish to be thought of as any of the above then sit down, have a beer, wait a year and then decide. If you still have leanings towards

You're saying that I, as a seaman with a tattoo is not part of the mainstream society? I'll make a note of informing my board of directors.
Per

shedhead
18th Sep 2008, 19:13
I have always been aware that I would need to be really really drunk before I thought about getting a tattoo,Fortunately whenever I have reached that point I am too drunk to find the tattoo parlour.life finds ways to compensate us for our own weaknesses sometimes.

Reluctant737
18th Sep 2008, 19:29
Shedhead -

life finds ways to compensate us for our own weaknesses sometimes.

I hear that! I remember once, a past version of myself had finished typing out a very offensive Email that could have gotten me into a lot of trouble (let us just say that I was in a heated argument with a certain somebody regarding a car incident), proceeded to hit send and was then informed my internet explorer, "Page cannot be displayed". Never mind, I was too tired to bother there and then, but some hours later I returned and before I had the chance to send it, we had a power outage. As if that were not enough to allow me to think twice, the next day saw me with the Email in front of me once again - this time, my Email completely shut down as I opened it and the message was lost forever.

Just one of those things that sticks out in my mind...

Davaar
18th Sep 2008, 20:03
On looking over the posts, a thought arrives unbidden: How about a chip on the shoulder?

Richo77
19th Sep 2008, 01:06
Thanks Checkboard! you made my point for me.

Judging people by how they look, nice one. You would be sadly wrong by judging me so.

I hate violence and havent been in a fight since i was 6 (i think). Just trying to make a point that i hate closed minded nimrods like yourself who make sweeping generalisations.

But that does'nt bother me one bit, its your problem which im sure you dont care about either.

If you take your blinkers off once in a while you might enjoy life, but again i just don't care.

tinpis
19th Sep 2008, 03:59
Cool :ok:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y150/tinpis/mob2.jpg?t=1221793016

kiwi chick
19th Sep 2008, 05:24
Tinpis you really gotta stop stealing my Facebook photos. :E

Only really sad inadequates have body tattoos and piercings

Had a big angry spiel in reply to this but Richo77 got it in a nutshell.

How dare you judge me?!

Sikpupi

One of my tattoos represents my 3 beautiful children who will ALWAYS be my three beautiful children no matter what happens (Bite me, Jammydonut)

And.... if worse comes to worse.... my ex husband had my name along with our three girls tattooed on his arm - and I have now been tastefully transformed into a set of little roses as if I never existed, haha! :}

So I say "go for it" but be warned - they are addictive! I've got three but maybe that's a sign of how inadequate my life is. ;)

Richo77
19th Sep 2008, 06:01
Love your work KC... always have, always will! (the bite me thing made me snort in laughter!)

:D

kiwi chick
23rd Sep 2008, 00:10
Hahaha, pleased to be of service! ;)

How's that tattoo coming along...? :E

Trying to decide my next one causing I'm feeling a little inadequate at the moment :E

arcniz
23rd Sep 2008, 01:11
Would you stereotype a BMW driver? Damn right!

Haay, lighten up. Every easy target gets their turn in the barrel around here. Over many years, one has only observed a few individuals who have chosen to reform & fly straight according to the opinions of the wags here.

One actually LIKES tattoos on ladies - makes 'em seem that much more wicked and perhaps a bit approachable.

Saw one absolute stunner of a lady just yesterday, at a very upscale grocers. A very attractive slim young woman in her early 20's, short but orderly jet-black hair and a very pretty face, thin as a sapling but still filled out nicely in the right spots and about 6 feet 2 inches tall, in flat-heel shoes. She wore a thin tight-ish t-shirt and even tighter set of denim jeans that left skin showing on arms, shoulders and midriff, front and back. On the arms she had several Large tats, and on her back one could see the outlines of a very grand project that seemed likely to eventually cover the entire south side of her, from tip to toe. Would have studied that all in greater detail, but din't want to be caught at staring, jaw agape.

Clearly this was a major bit of art in the making. One wonders about exhibit hours and the price of admission.

Blacksheep
23rd Sep 2008, 08:18
One night in gay Paris, I paid five francs to see a tattooed lady, tatooed from head to knee. On her jaw was a British man o'war and on her back was a Union Jack so I paid five francs more...

henry crun
23rd Sep 2008, 08:53
Tattooed upon her spine
Was the RAF all in line............

motherbird
4th Oct 2008, 11:53
Why not have the word to the Bing Crosby song. Then you won't forget them again.

Motherbird

Track Coastal
4th Oct 2008, 12:02
Cut the Pakeha crap, go polynesian..
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~tonyf/explore/maori.jpg

Effluent Man
4th Oct 2008, 12:12
An old sea dog named Dixie Dean had a spiders web on one cheek and a pair of seagulls on the other.Aggressive little sod .I saw him do a dance in the middle of the road whilst twirling a string of savaloys and then he counted his loose change as cars and buses whizzed past him. His fight with a six foot fence was a classic,he walked away several times but turned round to hurl abuse for some perceived slight.Finally he lost it big style and hurtled in to a double footed drop kick a la Mick McManus.The fence held firm and Dixie hit the deck and suffered concussion.The fence won on a Technical Knock Out.Dixie got fined fifty shillings.I was 17 at the time and it put me off tattooed people a bit.

Out Of Trim
4th Oct 2008, 18:14
A winged dagger on your arm usually looks good !

unclenelli
5th Oct 2008, 13:55
Whatever you get, in 30yrs it'll be a blue illiterate splodge.

Save your money, or spend it on beer.

DBisDogOne
5th Oct 2008, 14:33
Up to you, it's your skin, personally, I just don't get the whole tattoo concept myself - has never appealed, maybe for some of the reasons above? I don't know.

Alloa Akbar
6th Oct 2008, 15:36
Oh crap.. I'm feeling really inadequate and stereotyped this morning.. I drive a BMW, I have two tattoo's one on each upper arm, and one of them had my ex-wifes name on.. which was Wendy!!!:O

Fortunately at break-up of marriage to said Spousal unit, I had her name blacked out, as I had the original celtic design done in such a way as would facilitate any later corrective action.

My latest piece is again a celtic pattern, and for the record Sik you should work around a figure of $1.50 / minute as a rule of thumb for the work. For something of the size you describe I would say around $300 would be about right.. I do want one more, but I want it done at LA Ink.. purely and simply because I'd like to admire Kat Von D's body (art) at close quarters for a while..:E

AA

ShyTorque
6th Oct 2008, 21:16
I have two tattoo's one on each upper arm, and one of them had my ex-wifes name on.. which was Wendy!!!

Alloa, I'll bet she now lives in a Wendy house...... :p

and a BMW, eh? What, after all you said...... :eek:

Davaar
6th Oct 2008, 21:35
the female tattooist said there was only enough room for the word "Mum"

You should have told her the old story of the patient who was examined in Emergency at a prairie hospital. The elderly nurse reported to the nurses' station that the chap had an odd tattoo on his dong, the word "wan". Intrigued younger colleague went out to check, returned to report she had read said tattoo as: "Saskatoon, Saskatchewan".

ShyTorque
6th Oct 2008, 21:44
Davaar, I think you ARE labouring the point now. After all, you did previously mention it in post #30, when the word "Wan" was merely an odd discolouration. :hmm:

You're getting forgetful, my friend ;)

Matari
6th Oct 2008, 23:14
Lisa Simpson, on seeing that Bart had just pierced his ear:

"How rebellious...in a conformist sort of way..."

Buster Hyman
7th Oct 2008, 01:53
"Exit only"

Across the backside...

Davaar
7th Oct 2008, 02:33
You're getting forgetful, my friend

Old men forget; and so soon!

Mind you, on another thread someone complained that my memory lasted a pedantic 35 years.

As that American chansonier .... ummmm .... the late Ricky Nelson, that's the name! .... glad I could recall that, even though only just .... "If you can't please everyone, you're better to please yourself".

P.S. I don't believe that Saskatoon thing anyway.

G-CPTN
7th Oct 2008, 16:01
A car thief who had his name and date of birth tattooed on his neck was caught after CCTV images of him were used to track him down.
(More at:- BBC NEWS | England | Bristol | Tattoo clue led police to thief (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/7656870.stm) )

Alloa Akbar
7th Oct 2008, 16:46
ShyTorque

and a BMW, eh? What, after all you said

In my defence, I live in Alabama.. therefore it was either that, more Jap "Fast and The Furious" Junk or worse still a Pick Up Truck!!

On the upside at least I bought a Z4 Coupe.. now the ragtop.. thats gay!!

Anyway thread drift there.. so Sik, any more thoughts? I saw a bird in Hooters last night who would have made a fine piece of arm decoration!!:ok:

VinRouge
7th Oct 2008, 17:12
If you are a lady, how about "harder" across the small of your back?

Very classy...:E

Davaar
7th Oct 2008, 23:52
Also a mouth-breather. Their criminals have no class at all.

kiwi chick
13th Oct 2008, 02:00
Whatever you get, in 30yrs it'll be a blue illiterate splodge.

:confused: :eek:

Races to the mirror to check, but nope, it still looks like a black P51.

Richo77
13th Oct 2008, 03:30
Yep, after 20 years my first is still well defined. The colours have faded a little but there is no sploodging. Soon i will probably get it re-touched ie re-inked in its entirety. Simply cause i want to (must be starting to feel too adequate).

kiwi chick
15th Oct 2008, 04:38
Don't worry Richo my boy, it would appear that we have more fun being inadequate together, united front and that sort of thing. :E :ok:

Richo77
15th Oct 2008, 06:12
Hear, hear. Pip, Pip, ra ra and all that stuff! go team!

Jetex Jim
15th Oct 2008, 06:41
If you must have a tat. and want to be original, why not have something likely to be useful as well.

If a pilot, an emergency checklist on your hand in luminous ink.

If a techie, an ARINC or 1553 bus diagram of your favorite plane.

Caution. Best not to have classified data tattooed onto body parts that will be seen by non-cleared personnel.

Dan Winterland
15th Oct 2008, 09:32
Where I live (Hong Kong) quite a few expats like to show off when the get back to their mother country by sporting a tat in Chinese. but some made the mistake of getting them done in Shenzen (across the border in China) to save a bit of money. I heard of one lady sporting a "My abusive husband pimps me out" tattoo, and one guy with "Rent boy availble for immediate hire".

Avoid an language you don't understand is wise advice!

And Dolly Parton said in a film I can't remember the name of "The nicest thing I can say about my son's new girlfriend is that her tattoos are spelt correctly!"

So get a literate tattoo artist.

PS. Didn't David Beckham has Posh's name in sanskrit or something - spelt wrong.

kiwi chick
15th Oct 2008, 22:56
PS. Didn't David Beckham has Posh's name in sanskrit or something - spelt wrong.

Yes but that was probably not the tattooist's error.