PDA

View Full Version : Anymore Q400's

HappyBandit
17th Sep 2008, 06:32
Anyone in the know able to tell me if Qlink (specifically Sunnies) is planning on anymore 400's this year and how many likely next year?

Cheers

Kiwiconehead
17th Sep 2008, 07:02
Another 11 to come in the next 12 months - as to where they operate? Your guess is as good as anyones.

Skystar320
17th Sep 2008, 07:24
*cough* Perth *Cough*

Going Nowhere
17th Sep 2008, 08:45
QOM should be out and about in the next few days, QON should be here in a few weeks.

Spinnerhead
27th Sep 2008, 11:09
Perth to Headland is prob about 2 hrs 15 min flight time in a 400. On the edge of needing inflight entertainment, but a lot cheaper to operate than a jet!

KRUSTY 34
27th Sep 2008, 12:01
Let me see?

11 aircraft, approx 10 pilots per... Where are they going to get 110 pilots in 12 months? Or more to the point, where are they going to find 60 odd Captains?

Seriously, genuine question!

Pimp Daddy
27th Sep 2008, 13:14
Seriously, genuine question!

The Leprechauns will fix everything

KRUSTY 34
27th Sep 2008, 21:53
We live in hope landof4x!

Hugh Jarse
28th Sep 2008, 00:36
Land of4x,

Rex pilots can forget about sharing the current retention bonuses at QL. Unless you were a captain before a certain date, or an FO given a promotion - you get sod all.

I think QL management genuinely thought the demise of REX was imminent around Feb this year, and that they would pick up a swag of D.E. captains to fill the void. IMO, that would be the only way anyone with command experience would leave REX and go to QL. The similarity in T's & C's just would not warrant it, when there are other opportunities around. Those bonuses can be withdrawn at any time, too, you know.

As someone alluded to on another thread - There would be very few crew in Sunstate willing to relocate west. QL management can't even keep the Sunstate Canberra base functional! For the Eastern pilots, well, they would still remember how well the Adelaide base went, and the shameful HR disaster that was for some very long term and loyal pilots. := Why would either group even consider relocating their families to the other side of the country, on what essentially is a whim (based on the company's track record with the 2 aforementioned bases)?

It will be interesting to see just how much interest is expressed by current crew. My money says the only interest will be from Sandgropers keen to get home.:E

KRUSTY 34
28th Sep 2008, 05:36
Interesting times Hugh.

If there is any truth to the assumption that Kumar and his buddies were counting on REX going belly up, it simply shows an appalling lack of understanding by these "managers". As a public company, REX's financial details are out there for all to see. LKH, could litteraly cut REX's services in half, make redundant surplus staff, park any unused aircraft (they are fully owned!), and wait for this crisis to blow over. And they would still make money! Just how far he could ultimately go would still be a matter for the board, but I have heard in more than one circle that he prefers this option rather than attempt to retain his pilots!

The lack of availability of staff (skilled or otherwise) is something REX and for that matter QFLink have yet to truely come to terms with.

As far as the "expansion" of QFLink is concerned, are the Q400's going to be replacements (for the last few -100's) or additions to the overall fleet? If they are additions, well it will be interesting!

Di_Vosh
28th Sep 2008, 10:30
All the Qlink -100's are long gone. (Some of) the -200's are being kept for LHI.

AFAIK, the Q400's are not replacing any -300's.

DIVOSH!

KRUSTY 34
28th Sep 2008, 11:38
Thanks Di_Vosh.

I wasn't sure if they (-100's) had in fact gone. Can we assume then, the 11 -400's over the next 12 months are more or less for expansion?

Di_Vosh
28th Sep 2008, 12:05
We'd like to think so.

Chances are, though, that you'll find out before any of us do. :sad:

DIVOSH!

Icarus53
28th Sep 2008, 21:06
Apparently the "Bring the Q400 to Melbourne" movement is gaining some traction .... they even have their own Facebook group now!:D:} Good luck boys and girls!

I don't even know where the one arriving next week is going yet - I believe CNS but all you could be certain of at the moment is that it won't be WA. Well, relatively certain. Don't bet the farm.

HappyBandit
29th Sep 2008, 06:26
Yeah the word I hear is that plans for BN to Newcastle to Melb. I believe they may have had this route a few years back but cancelled that????

Time will tell I suppose