PDA

View Full Version : Can a PC read Mac Files?

capt waffoo
1st Apr 2000, 04:36
Anyone know if/how I can transfer Mac text files and ideally graphics also onto my PC?

Im running Win 98, office 2000.

Ta!

spannersatcx
1st Apr 2000, 14:27
As far as I am aware, a pc can not read mac files but a mac can read pc files without any software. There is software available for a pc that will enable you to read mac files. I would say that if they are relatively small files the best bet would be to e-mail them to yourself from the mac to the pc, graphics files should if they are standard files i.e giff jpeg tiff etc should transfer over. If not again e-mail them to yourself. The other option if you want to do a lot of it is get adobe acrobat, save the text in that format and they can be read by any machine with acrobat reader on it. It's not cheap though.
Move files between Windows and the Macintosh
The Macintosh must be running system software version 7.5 or higher and be equipped with a drive that supports Apple PC Exchange.

Save your Windows file to a 3.5-inch floppy disk.

Insert the floppy disk in the Macintosh floppy disk drive.

Copy the files directly to the Macintosh.
Note You can easily move files between Windows and the Macintosh if you have access to a Windows NT server that is set up with Services for the Macintosh. For more information, see your NT documentation.

You could also save the documents as html on the mac and see if that would work.
Hope this helps in some way.

[This message has been edited by spannersatcx (edited 01 April 2000).]

Feline
3rd Apr 2000, 02:59
Provided your image files aren't too big, shouldn't be a major problem. Format a 1.44Mb diskette in the PC, then insert it into the Mac, which will recognise it as a PC diskette. Then simply drag and drop the files you want to transfer onto the diskette icon.

The Mac will write a number of files and folders onto the diskette, so when you get it back to the PC, use Windows Explorer to open up the image file. Works for GIF and JPEG files - you sometimes need to specify that they should be saved as PC JPEG files from the Mac Application that created them.

Sorry not to be more specific - everytime I need to do this I kind of fumble my way through it and can never remember the next time exactly how I did the previous time.

------------------
Feline
(I Sit, I Watch, I Smile)

OzmateBugsmasher
3rd Apr 2000, 16:14
If you need more help with mac/windows stuff have a look here.
http://www.macwindows.com

capt waffoo
9th Apr 2000, 04:57
Thanks guys, useful info fron you all, much obliged. :)