PDA

View Full Version : Increased Flying For UASs?

flipster
16th Sep 2008, 21:13
I read, with interest, a report in a respected aviation publication that said the number of UAS flying hours in the Grob Tutor/VT contract was being increased significantly.

Would anyone care to shed some light?
:confused:

BluntM8
17th Sep 2008, 06:44
Whilst it would undoubtably be nice for the UAS studes to get a bit more flying, and great for the pilots, what real benefit would the extra hours bring? Since you can no longer do EFT on the UAS then surely the flying is just a billy bonus?

Blunty

Beakor
17th Sep 2008, 09:13
No knowledge but:

Didn't Gordon Broon bang on a while ago about getting kids more involved with the military? ATC and CCF and that sort of thing. Could be an increase in the Air Experience Flt bit of the Grob task to take more of these kids flying?

Just an idea.

Beakor

cheese bobcat
17th Sep 2008, 09:15
It's a great pity that the bean counters ever got hold of UAS hours. In the sixties, when I was a student, if you turned up at the airfield, you flew; end of story. I accumulated 235 hours in my three years. This philosophy encouraged many of us students to join up at the end of university.

For interest, we are holding our 40th anniversary of the Aircrew Officer Training School (AOTS) course in London next weekend.

CB

Re-Heat
17th Sep 2008, 09:23
I understood the expansion on flying hours was simply to make greater use of the assets for others requiring EFT rather than UAS studes themselves.

Thankfully the competing demands caused by doign both EFT and a degree have long gone.

Roguedent
17th Sep 2008, 17:34
Dr,

You'll just have to do your job that little bit quicker :\

I mean a man or you caliber should be able to train pilots in say.........20mins.....and that includes the brief :}