PDA

View Full Version : Yet another stealth tax

FlightTester
16th Sep 2008, 19:21
UK proposes radio spectrum usage charge (http://www.flightglobal.com/articles/2008/09/12/315922/uk-proposes-radio-spectrum-usage-charge.html)

New Labour, making the airspace above the UK more expensive one piece at a time.:ugh:

G-CPTN
16th Sep 2008, 19:30
Will they tax the air that we breathe next?

tony draper
16th Sep 2008, 20:20
Many moons ago one sent a suggestion for a very shrewd Tax to HMG,to wit, a NOB TAX,chaps would be asked to self assess and taxed according to length of said organ, this would result in a vast increase in revenue for HMG as few would claim they are due a rebate in this department.
:uhoh::E

GWYN
16th Sep 2008, 21:30
Actually I started a thread on this a while ago but it was relegated to Tech Log. There are some excellent contributions in there. Some of them are even more serious than Mr Draper's.

See: http://www.pprune.org/tech-log/341207-radio-spectrum-pricing.html

BAMRA wake up
16th Sep 2008, 21:58
Here's one they thought of a long time ago - taxing the seabed!

Moorings in Scotland (http://www.thecrownestate.co.uk/moorings_scotland)

Put nothing in, take tax out.

The laying of a permanent mooring or other equipment to hold a vessel, however, requires our consent.

They tried to impose this on the fiercely independent and seagoing Shetlanders and were told in so many words to Foxtrot Oscar, quite right too.

16th Sep 2008, 23:09
Tax block paved drives, 1 per block. Reduce Car Tax pro rata. That should contribute nicely to flood prevention finances.

Sorry, I'm in that kind of mood.

I need flaming.

Regards

Cron.

Rainboe
17th Sep 2008, 01:13
Has anybody actually asked....do they 'own' the radio spectrum? I think God might have something to say about that! Do they only 'own' it out to territorial limits? So any transmissions that go beyond territorial limits presumably someone has to pay the neighbouring country 'rent' IF they reckon they own it.

Do you think Robber 'Bungler' Brown will last long enough to introduce it? It's like watching cavemen killing a dinosaur with a thousand spear pricks right now. Tremendously entertaining.

Keef
17th Sep 2008, 01:45
WE own the radio spectrum. My boss put it there for everyone. Scientists found it - not politicians.

Trouble is, governments always decide that what's ours is theirs, and they are going to flog it to raise funds. They've done pretty well out of it so far.

Soon, we're all going to have to throw away our good-sound-quality FM radios and buy 'orrible distorted digital ones so they can flog the 88-108 MHz bit off. It's not that long ago they made us buy FM immune radios so they could flog the ILS guard band to pop radio stations...

UniFoxOs
17th Sep 2008, 08:32
And nobody seems to have noticed the neat little stealth tax slipped in earlier this year - prescriptions. If you need permanent medication you now can only get a month at a time instead of two - result, instant doubling of your charges. Of course in true New Labour style, this really only hits the really poor people, who can't afford to bung in advance for a "season ticket".

UFO

radeng
17th Sep 2008, 09:54
They've been talking of charging for radio spectrum for some time. MoD is particularly hit hard.

Being of a liberal turn of mind, I cn't help but feel things would improve if Brown and all his cronies (and Blair) had their heads shown to the public - on the ends of pikes on London Bridge.