PDA

View Full Version : Modems

Wiggly Amp
31st Mar 2000, 04:31
I built another computer the other day for a colleage. When the software was finally loaded, Win98 recognised the 3Com modem but did not assign a port. Carried out diagnostics on modem only to recieve the message "could not open port"

Anyone had a similar experience or has anyone any suggestions?

Regards
Wiggly Amp

InFinRetirement
31st Mar 2000, 15:48
Wiggly,

That suggests that the port needs to be open in the BIOS, under Peripherals.

spannersatcx
1st Apr 2000, 14:38
Wiggly amp, I'm sure you've tried the following, but here it is anyway,
Does Windows recognize the communications port?
To detect a modem, Windows 98 must be able to identify the communications port the modem is using.
To determine which port your modem is using
· If you are using an internal modem, the port setting is usually configured by switches on the modem. For more information about these settings, consult your modem documentation.
· If you are using an external modem, the port the modem uses is the port to which the modem is physically connected.
To determine whether the port is recognized
1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click System.
2. On the Device Manager tab, click the plus sign (+) next to Ports (COM & LPT).
If the port that your modem is using is not listed, run the Add New Hardware wizard.
To run the Add New Hardware wizard
1. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Add New Hardware.
2. Follow the instructions on the screen.
3. In Control Panel, double-click System.
4. On the Device Manager tab, click the plus sign (+) next to Ports (COM & LPT) to see if the port is listed.
Is this a hardware problem?
To determine whether your problem is hardware-related, perform the following tests:
· Verify that you can communicate with your modem from the command prompt.
· Verify that all cables are connected correctly and that any jumpers on your modem are set correctly.
· Attach the modem to a different port on your computer.
To verify that you can communicate with your modem from the command prompt
1. Restart your computer.
2. Hold down the CTRL key as the computer restarts.
3. On the Startup Menu, choose Safe mode command prompt only.
4. At the command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER:
echo atdt > com x
where x represents the communications port that your modem is using.
The modem should respond with a dial tone or a communication signal. To stop the dial tone, type the following line, and then press ENTER:
echo ath0 > com x
where x represents the communications port that your modem is using.
Note
· The modem may not always sound a dial tone with this test procedure, because you don't enter a telephone number as part of the command. However, the modem should give some kind of signal that information was received.
To verify that all cables are connected correctly, that any jumpers on your modem are set correctly, or find out how to attach the modem to a different port on your computer, consult your modem documentation or contact the manufacturer.

Squiddley
3rd Apr 2000, 07:55
I'll throw in my tuppence worth too, having suffered innumerable similar problems with a modem years ago.

Firstly am assuming it is an infernal :)(read internal) modem. They use a COM port which exists in hardware form on the modem, but in software form as far as the PC is concerned.

Port assignments are set on the modem using jumpers, and the documentation that came with it will tell you how to identify the port number enabled.

Once you know this and are certain of it, then Spanner's directions are spot on. If there are more COM ports than you "know" you have, or even duplicates, delete them all (except COM1 & 2) and reboot. If still no joy, you can manually add the COM port which the modem is set to use. N.B. I found that in my case, even though the modem was not found by the "plug & play" scan at boot-up, if you run the "add new hardware wizard", the PC may pick up the modem where it missed it before. Strange but true http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/confused.gif

If still no joy, it could be something simple like the card is not quite seated properly in the expansion slot.

Hope you manage to resolve it one way or another. Best wishes.