PDA

View Full Version : Window shutters on airlines

bravon33
16th Sep 2008, 11:42
Why do cabin crew on airlines ask that the window shutters be open for take-off and landing?

I've always wonderered why!

Cheers!

Groundloop
16th Sep 2008, 12:43
In the event of an incident there are no obstructions to spotting any external fire which would prohibit certain emergency exits being used.

Just one reason. There are probably others.

Skipness One Echo
16th Sep 2008, 13:40
Seems to be a UK thing too, this one is sensible I agree. Bit like not being allowed to use your mobile in a taxi-ing aircraft because it might er.....something or other terrible(!) Ahh Britain....

theredbarron
16th Sep 2008, 14:01
It has always puzzled me that while during night take-offs and landings the cabin lights are dimmed by the crew, passengers are allowed - reminded even - that they can switch on their individual overhead reading lights. It has to be crazy that my night vision and my chances of survival in an emergency can be diminished by selfish fellow passengers who want to continue to read for these crucial few minutes. Any cabin crew out there who can shed some light on this anomaly ?

londoneasyjetboi
16th Sep 2008, 15:14
As Cabin Crew myself, Ive never been able find the answer to the cabin lights off but reading lights ok question... Just seem to be one of those proven things that cabin lights should be off but the small reading lights seem to not affect things!

The only thing that I have ever been able to come up with is that the reading lights are 'spotlight' type lights so it only shines a stream of light into the lap of the seat, not to the surrounding areas, not all aircrafts are like this probably, but when I look down my cabins at night and see only the reading lights on, it is not that bigger of a difference... from what I can gather the only people that might be affected with a lack of night vision situation are the people who are reading etc and having the light reflected back into their faces, but say the passengers next to them are not really affected!

planenut321
16th Sep 2008, 16:16
I read somewhere that they ask you to keep the blinds open so your eyes are adjusted to the oputside light incase there was an emergency and you had to evacuate the plane. Same reason at night otherwise you would not see where you were going. :ok:

Seat62K
16th Sep 2008, 16:37
Having window blinds up might also assist emergency service workers who may, from the outside, need to see inside in the case of an accident.
P.S. I seem to recall that at one time there was talk of Ryanair specifying no window blinds for its newer 737s. The seat pockets went, as did the cloth seats and under-seat lifejackets, but not the window blinds. Does anyone know why or was the idea of blind-less 737s just an unfounded rumour?

loopylee
16th Sep 2008, 17:13
regarding lights off for nightime take off and landing.. im cabin crew and these have to be off as if an accident should happen on take off or landing your eyes are adjusted to the outside light and i wont be momentarally blinding by darkness should we need to evacuate! hope this helps

Wyle E Coyote
16th Sep 2008, 17:28
Nice theory, but in practice, night vision takes minutes to get (about 30 for full night vision), so the 20 seconds prior to takeoff merely serves as a mild annoyance to those who like to read or admire their knees.

It's probably just because the cabin crew are sick of the whole plane staring at them, as they're the only ones facing the other way

Rainboe
16th Sep 2008, 17:47
Well that would be 20 seconds in absolute blindness in an accident. If your eyes take 30 minutes, then I should give up now!

Just a spotter
16th Sep 2008, 18:08
I always though window blinds up and cabin lights dimmed so that your eyes are adjusted to the outside ambient lighting levels.

Have you ever walked out of a cinema after a movie while it's still bright outside, or tried to look into a dark room with no windows when you are standing in the light?

In the case of a evacuation you don't want people stopping in the doorway to give their eyesight time to adjust.

Either that or it's a ploy between the airlines and local tourist agencies to get you to look at the place your about to visit.:}

JAS

apaddyinuk
16th Sep 2008, 18:35
I wonder if it would be worth while for the mods to put a special Sticky "Window Blinds" thread for all your window blinds queries!!! LOL! Seems to be one of those subjects that does the rounds more often then the wheel of a bus!!!

My previous airline had a rule that all window blinds needed to be up for TA and Landing. But my current one only stipulates that the windows by the emergency exits need to be open.
I suppose its one of those grey areas that depends on the individuals SOP's!

TightSlot
16th Sep 2008, 20:23
Actually... there IS a sticky - this question is referred to in the Forum FAQ - the thread at the top of the forum that suggests that you read it before posting. I can only guess why the person starting this thread chose not to read it?

:ugh:

Michael SWS
16th Sep 2008, 21:17
Is there also an FAQ that explains why moderators write in that mucky yellow colour that is so difficult to read? :)

Moderator edited for colour - for revenge purposes only

PAXboy
16th Sep 2008, 21:59
Looks like Michael SWS is asking teacher to put him in the Gunge Machine and shpurble mucky yellow gunk all over him. :ok: