PDA

View Full Version : Ch5 'Dangerous Adventures for Boys'.

Jackboot
16th Sep 2008, 11:12
Dangerous Adventures for Boys – ‘Aerial combat’.

We had a lot of fun at Old Warden earlier this year filming with Martin Kemp and his son Roman for the ‘ Aerial combat’ episode of the forthcoming Ch 5 6-part series ‘Dangerous Adventures for Boys’.

We used my Magister and Klemm for the dogfight sequences and filmed the aerial shots from my R44, flown by the legendary Ollie Byard-Jones.

I’ll post the screening details when I have them.

The plot revolves around celebrity father and son, who within a few hours of flying training at White Waltham in Tiger Moths and a few more at the Old Warden School of Aerial Combat(!), conquer their anxieties and become steely eyed killers at the controls.

It is a great story in so many ways, featuring interviews with Geoffrey ‘First Light’ Whellum and with period combat footage intertwined with present day ‘Battle of Britain movie – style’ aerial sequences. Whilst not decrying the bravery and, in many cases, the ultimate sacrifice of our boys back in WW2, there’s plenty of light-hearted stuff in it too.

I can tell you now that the final airborne sequences were flown entirely by Martin and Roman with Rob Millinship and I merely bawling instructions from the rear cockpits.

If I told you who won the final dogfight I’d have to kill you. However, both flew really, really well, thus demonstrating how it was possible, in times of dire need, to send the cream of our Nations youth off to war with so little time in their flying logbooks.

I hope you enjoy watching it as much as we enjoyed the privilege of working with the Kemps and, last but not least, Director Matthew ‘Diamond Geezer’ Whiteman and his team of professionals from Mentorn TV.

JB

airborne_artist
16th Sep 2008, 11:54
Sounds great, but it's Geoffrey Wellum (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geoffrey_Wellum).