PDA

View Full Version : W2000 TCP/IP prob

FL310
7th Jun 2001, 23:40
Here we go, upgraded recently to W2000 for some needs. While the clean installation worked without any problem (ooohhh...strange....), there is a problem with the Net connection.
Sometimes it happens that I can connect to my ISP and the system shows Internet connection with all the usual indications but, when opening the browser or access mail, there is no Internet connection. Yes, I am connected to my ISP and I can see that some 4000 odd bytes have been sent and also received...
It took me almost a day to figure out that I had to uninstall TCP/IP protocoll, reboot, and install TCP/IP again.
There is no specific point at which I am able to tell when this situation is appears, it just happens now and than.
Anyone has any idea?

OzPax1
8th Jun 2001, 00:44
Sounds like a registry problem. But I'm not familiar with win2000. I'll leave the answear to the MCP's amongst us to solve!

OzPax1 http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif

fobotcso
8th Jun 2001, 02:26
Sometimes it pays to give it time.

You don't say who your ISP is; if it's BT, the reason may be that in the last few days they have been extraordinarily inconsistent. It is quite possible to have a 'phone connection and a good handshake with user name and password and then get nowhere.

Sometimes with BTInternet you can get their homepage but not their pop mail server; and sometimes vice versa.

Don't always suspect your setup or your procedures; it could be a situation outside your control.

If you did a clean Win2000 install you should be Okay. I'm very impressed with what I've seen so far.

heavy-metal
8th Jun 2001, 13:41
Also if u r using netscape, there are some issues like at times loosing the "connection" between the scape and the tcp/ip "driver". Next time when that happen try to use the explorer or other way around and see if that works. there is also the service pack 2 for win 2000, so that might solve some problems... :).
Regards.

FL310
8th Jun 2001, 20:28
OzPax1, tks, no there is no registry problem I can identify as yet.

fobotsco, tks, I had my share with them about the most unreliable connection. This actually produced half of the investigating time spent. Sorry, but this is not the problem with this system.

heavy metal, tks, am using IE most of the time, NS runs only for testing websites after deployement. No, prob is on both as well as on two more browsers.
Service pack 2 is running since installation.

BTW, I like the announcement from BT on their customer 0800 number when everything collapses and no one can log-in...."Friday 8th of June 2 am, there are no reported problems on the BT network...." this, after at least 3 friends complaint about the unavailability of the authentication server...

Still searching for a solution so...