PDA

View Full Version : A Very Irritating Advertisement Panel Down the Right Side of Screen

parabellum
16th Sep 2008, 01:34
Anyone else getting this or have my browser settings taken on a mind of their own? Really don't want a panel of Google ads. taking up 25% of the screen, shove them at the bottom perhaps?:confused:

call100
16th Sep 2008, 02:08
Get FireFox with adblocker plus....That'll cure it....:ok:

BEagle
16th Sep 2008, 05:43
Yes, that extra side panel has started appearing on my computer as well.

So, if you leave 'Favorites' open in IE6 - and now have this panel cluttering up the right hand side, the available screen area becomes unacceptably small.

Yes, I know the geeks can use Godzilla or whatever it's called, but the website should be compatible with the most widely used browser, Internet Explorer 6.

Currently, without the 'Favorites' panel open, contributors' text occupies only 50% of screen width; with 'Favorites' open, that shrinks to only 31%..... When PPRuNe loads a forum, only 9.5% of the available screen area is now devoted to thread content, the rest is either advertising, the 'welcome' bar or white space - and that's without the 'Favorites' panel open.....:\

amanoffewwords
16th Sep 2008, 06:54
I hate it + ignore the ads even more now.

ericlday
16th Sep 2008, 07:05
Annoying and not necessary. It takes up 20% of the screen. Please remove it !!!

Globaliser
16th Sep 2008, 08:13
A HOSTS file - Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File (http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm) - dispenses with many ads as a side benefit of its primary purpose of keeping nasty stuff off your computer.

tubby linton
16th Sep 2008, 08:38
I wonder how long it will take before the ads cover most of the screen and the latest crash theory is listed in a narrow box?
Seriously this is a retrograde step for pprune and it will annoy all the regular readers.Can anyone suggest a way of blocking it?

green granite
16th Sep 2008, 10:02
I have just had a look using IE6 :yuk::yuk: I run firefox and I don't see any ads. :ok:

Saab Dastard
16th Sep 2008, 10:13
The sidebar ads are indeed a new IB initiative.

As I use FF with Adblocker they don't appear - for now. I guess that when the side position is sold like the banner ads, then it'll be a different story.

Meanwhile, my ad shifter widens the thread view area sufficiently to shove the junk off the sides......

Yes, but it makes your posts very ugly!

SD

sthaussiepilot
16th Sep 2008, 10:29
Good idea with the ad shifter hahaha

May need to add it to all or into the signatures?

How about that as a little protest? that in all our signatures? :ok::p

sthaussiepilot
16th Sep 2008, 10:50
hehehehe Nice work with Paint there "BEagle" :ok::D:D:}

spekesoftly
16th Sep 2008, 11:00
Get FireFox with adblocker plus....That'll cure it.Thank you - I've just downloaded the latest version of Adblock Plus and it's solved the problem. :ok:

Perhaps not surprisingly, page loading is also faster.

But I also heed SD's comment - measures and counter-measures will probably follow! :hmm:

OverRun
16th Sep 2008, 11:18
I'm using Firefox, and have just had the problem. It is very annoying and is very intrusive. It might be alright for the corporation that owns PPRUNE and their geeks who showed this to management sitting back in an airconditioned office with big computer screens. Sure it looks OK then.

But in the real world of PPRUNE, we log on from all sorts of places and (my guess is) many of these are not good, with no big screen, and where this new 25% loss of the screen is affecting the quality badly. I'm on a laptop today, with a torch in my mouth because the lights have failed. I actually want to read PPRUNE without that interference. I can't load all the various PCs I use with cute adblocker software (I'm lucky to get an internet connection let alone anything cute). Time to protest.

What about a poll of our views? - or is that forbidden by corporate headquarters.

Let me at least write to the current advertisers on my screen - fatloss4idiots, pilotswatches and findapilot saying that I will try very hard not to let anyone use their services in the meantime.

call100
16th Sep 2008, 11:28
I'm using Firefox, and have just had the problem. It is very annoying and is very intrusive.
Download Adblock plus and put it in your add ons. The Ads will be gone....

green granite
16th Sep 2008, 11:37
Using 'no script', PPPuNe. org is permitted, all other urls ie the advertising ones such as Google syndication, internetbrands.com etc are blocked.

frostbite
16th Sep 2008, 11:48
I've got it, using Opera, going to have to do something about it soon.

tubby linton
16th Sep 2008, 12:06
Thank you for the adblocker tip,pprune is now back to normal!

oldbeefer
16th Sep 2008, 14:34
I'm on OE. They were there - now they've gone!

crewmeal
16th Sep 2008, 14:46
adblocker works a treat - don't forget to type in the website in the options part of adblocker

Saab Dastard
16th Sep 2008, 14:56
I've downloaded the adblock plus, installed it and it's still there, any ideas?

You have to configure it, add a filter to tell it what to block. And ensure it is on. Neither is difficult. Use the Help.

SD

windriver
16th Sep 2008, 16:13
Where should I place Google ads on my pages?

The best location for Google ads varies from page to page, depending on content. Here are a few questions to ask yourself when considering where to position your ads:

What is the user trying to accomplish by visiting my site?
What do they do when viewing a particular page?
Where is their attention likely to be focused?
How can I integrate ads into this area without getting in the users' way?
How can I keep the page looking clean, uncluttered and inviting?Doh:ugh:

amanoffewwords
16th Sep 2008, 16:35
Bend over and I'll show you.....:mad:

Reminds of a Frank Zappa line in one of his songs: "remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over"

But I digress: in terms of number of ads pprune is getting a bit like A.NET, which I stopped looking at because of their plethora of ads - discreet and well placed works better for me and, I suspect most surfers.

ericlday
16th Sep 2008, 16:53
Thanks to Adblocker Plus its now normal service resumed
Cheers to everyone suggesting its use

BombayDuck
16th Sep 2008, 17:43
I see Google is doing an impressive job getting users to switch from IE to FF :ok:

mutt
16th Sep 2008, 18:05
Just downloaded adblocker to firefox......... Nice to have the full size page back again... Not impressed with the ads especially as i generally browse from my phone!

Mutt

Tocsin
16th Sep 2008, 18:21
A tip by Ozzy on a similar thread in Jet Blast:

http://www.pprune.org/4399928-post36.html

- seems to work fine, no extra software, should work with all browsers.

The only thing I've noticed is a slight delay on going to the new posts (while the server tries without success to find the ads).

stevef
16th Sep 2008, 19:25
Slightly intrusive but the ads do pay towards keeping Pprune going so it's no real cause for complaint in my opinion. :)

BOAC
16th Sep 2008, 20:12
Thank you Tocsin:ok:

BEagle
16th Sep 2008, 21:42
Well, it looks as though my technique for shifting this advertising crap has been deleted by the Stasi......

'Slightly' intrusive it isn't - it's amateur and infuriating. As the parallel thread on Jet Blast makes only too clear.
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg

Fly-by-Wife
16th Sep 2008, 22:19
IE7Pro and Adblock Pro both do for IE7 what Adblock does for Firefox.

FBW

parabellum
17th Sep 2008, 05:13
Thanks FBW - IE7Pro installed and working well!

call100
17th Sep 2008, 09:23
Slightly intrusive but the ads do pay towards keeping Pprune going so it's no real cause for complaint in my opinion. http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/smile.gif
So it does, However, The advertisers and Forum owners (not just this one) don't seem to get the idea that people hate obtrusive advertising. Hence the invention of and universal use of Adblockers.
It seems pointless designing a well laid out forum and then sticking something like that awful google side Ad into the equation.

Wader2
17th Sep 2008, 10:01
As I said yesterday, but maybe on a different thread, on this machine with the most up to date version of IE, ie IE 6 (a clue :)) there are no side ads. I guess it's possible the system has an ad blocker in place.

Ty Atlas. :)

Saab Dastard
17th Sep 2008, 10:14
the most up to date version of IE, ie IE 6

IE6 the most up-to-date version?

IE7 has been around for quite a while now, and IE8 is in public Beta!

SD

BOAC
17th Sep 2008, 10:39
Another :ok: for IEPro (on IE6). NB it wll try to 'seduce' you into changing search and home page preferences.

frostbite
17th Sep 2008, 11:50
It's annoying but I've seen worse - good (bad) example is the Honestjohn (sic) website which is lousy with adverts, including popups every time you change thread and, occasionally, they've had the type which creep over what you're trying to read.

Add in the no-pictures, nagging about quoting too much, and claims of poverty, and you really start to appreciate sites like PPRune.

Wader2
17th Sep 2008, 14:21
IE6 the most up-to-date version?

IE7 has been around for quite a while now, and IE8 is in public Beta!

SD

SD, I gave a clue. Some of us are at the trailing edge of technology with IE6 being the most up to date available and no pictures on Pprune or other frivolities.

Saab Dastard
17th Sep 2008, 15:24
IE6 has no adblocker built-in.

SD

dazdaz
17th Sep 2008, 15:26
I like the adverts on the right of the screen, I read them all, and when all read. I go and search for secret pages on BBC ceefax I've not found any to date but if I do I'll post the info.

Daz

Out Of Trim
17th Sep 2008, 18:26
I just saw these ads on the right-hand side - Activated my hosts file and they're gone! Yes..:ok:

Captain_djaffar
17th Sep 2008, 18:32
firefox worked out.
ahaaa nice ad killer.

isi3000
17th Sep 2008, 18:53
Had no idea you could block that annoying rubbish out until reading this thread :ok:. Great! I'll try the adblocker :)

BEagle
17th Sep 2008, 20:37
Does it also work with those 'PPRuNe advertising' :yuk: banners?

spekesoftly
17th Sep 2008, 20:53
Yes, when so configured.

BEagle
18th Sep 2008, 07:38
Perhaps a reasonable compromise would be to remove the wretched side bars except in the main forum thread lists?

They make trying to read individual posts extremely awkward - hence so many people have now installed ad blockers.

Shooting your feet off rather, PPRuNe management?

parabellum
18th Sep 2008, 12:20
BEagle - IE7 has settled down into quite a stable and secure browser now and yesterday I downloaded and installed IE7Pro which has got rid of ALL the advertising, might be worth a try?

www.ie7pro.com/ (http://www.ie7pro.com/)

BEagle
18th Sep 2008, 12:44
Thanks.

I installed IE7 when it first came out and hated it, so I'm still using IE6.

The message to 't management is pretty clear - most people will only accept so much and if the sidebars aren't junked, then more and more people will simply install advert blockers, removing all advertising completely.

I note that IE7Pro includes a feature which 'blocks all forms of advertising, including Flash ads, rich media, fly-ins, slide-ins, pop-ups, pop-unders, spyware and adware ads, and messenger ads.'

I'll give it a bit longer yet, but if those sidebars don't go, it looks as though I'll be changing to IE7Pro.......

green granite
18th Sep 2008, 13:35
I downloaded and installed IE7Pro which has got rid of ALL the advertising

Where Firefox goes Internet explorer tries to catch up. :E

Globaliser
18th Sep 2008, 13:55
IE6 has no adblocker built-in.But it will work with a HOSTS file - though I have always regarded ad blocking as a beneficial side effect of using one.

Saab Dastard
18th Sep 2008, 14:15
BEagle,

IE7Pro can work with IE6 as well as IE7 - it's an add-on, not a replacement.

SD

BOAC
18th Sep 2008, 15:15
Another http://static.pprune.org/images/smilies/thumbs.gif for IEPro (on IE6). NB it wll try to 'seduce' you into changing search and home page preferences.

Another advantage of IEPro is that it kills all Beagle's ads for sex toys that keep coming up on his posts:=

The 'hosts' solution is fine but it requires knowing the location of the ad server, and I had just caught up with the Google Ads (thanks to Tocsin) when it switched to what I guess is a PPrune server based ad and back it came, but with IEPro - bliss! It also has a lot of other 'bells and whistles' for IE users. Heaven knows what it is doing to Danny's pension fund though................

exeng
18th Sep 2008, 17:19
Now not a single ad is now in view - I did occasionally click on the odd ad but won't be doing so now as they don't exist.

Load gun, take aim and put hole in foot.:\

Regards
Exeng

AppleMacster
18th Sep 2008, 17:30
For those Safari-surfing Mac Users:

Safari AdBlock (http://safariadblock.sourceforge.net/)

Works a treat – no configuration necessary!

AppleMacster

redsnail
18th Sep 2008, 18:00
Brilliant! Thanks AM. :D

BEagle
19th Sep 2008, 06:24
Another advantage of IEPro is that it kills all Beagle's ads for sex toys that keep coming up on his posts

I hope you're joking!

Unless, of course, some geekware has identified your surfing profile and is offering you 'tailored advertising'??

P.Pilcher
19th Sep 2008, 09:40
IE Pro works beautifully - So Far!

P.P.

henry crun
19th Sep 2008, 10:01
Am using Firefox and have downloaded Adblocker Plus, which has got rid of most of the ads.

However, "Ads by Google" do not respond to a right click with the option to "Adblock Image", how can I correct this problem ?

Pontius Navigator
19th Sep 2008, 21:18
Yes, when so configured.

Give us a clue, please.

Compass Call
19th Sep 2008, 23:31
Can somebody please post a link to adblocker plus. I can't find it in Firefox add-ons.

CC

Out Of Trim
20th Sep 2008, 01:11
Try here https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

:D

Loose rivets
20th Sep 2008, 02:01
Mine is still switching in and out with no logical reason as to when it works and when it doesn't.

seacue
20th Sep 2008, 03:32
It's adblock plus, NOT adblocker plus.

green granite
20th Sep 2008, 07:13
It's not an 'add on' as such. try :

Adblock Plus: Save your time and traffic (http://adblockplus.org/en/)

Pontius Navigator
20th Sep 2008, 07:48
I don't believe it.

Just downloaded the Adblock Pro for IE7. Ran it, seconds. Closed IE8. Opened it, there was the icon. Opened this page and it told me 4 ads blocked.

Magic.

30-day free trial. After regaining all my screen real estate I shall buy.

Globaliser
20th Sep 2008, 08:31
The 'hosts' solution is fine but it requires knowing the location of the ad server ...Not if you download a ready-made HOSTS file from the interwebthingy. I haven't had to tweak mine specifically for PPRuNe, but nevertheless see no ads.

BEagle
20th Sep 2008, 08:33
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/PNS.jpg
What I fail to understand is that the moderators hate these sidebar adverts themselves, they know that the contributors hate them and are using adblockers, yet 't management continues to pollute the site with these s*dding things!

And......hack!

Pontius Navigator
20th Sep 2008, 08:36
BEagle, how did you grab that image? I don't see it :E

now :)

42psi
20th Sep 2008, 08:41
IE Pro installed and working ...... all the ads are now banished :D

Silly people whoever decided to put that sidebar in. I was happy enough with the previous ads but that one was a step too far as it disrupted the thread viewing.

Now all that happens is I don't get any of the ads.... so those advertisers that did get my attention before ..... now don't ..... wonder how happy they might be about that .... :hmm:

Now Beagle .... as I don't get the ads anymore how exactly does one get the info on these sex toys of yours :E

Compass Call
20th Sep 2008, 17:44
Out Of Trim

Thanks for that:ok: Works beautifully & easy to configure.

CC

call100
20th Sep 2008, 20:34
30-day free trial. After regaining all my screen real estate I shall buy.
Why would you pay when you can do it perfectly for free??????:hmm:

Pontius Navigator
21st Sep 2008, 07:09
Why would you pay when you can do it perfectly for free??????:hmm:

Do tell.

As it happens I didn't buy, which is fortunate as today it is all back at square 1. It still shows it is working but ALL the adverts are back. B*gger.

BOAC
21st Sep 2008, 07:35
Not if you download a ready-made HOSTS file from the interwebthingy. I haven't had to tweak mine specifically for PPRuNe, but nevertheless see no ads. - agreed, but IE7Pro is so much simpler!

windriver
21st Sep 2008, 09:32
http://noni-uk.co.uk/seo.jpg

parabellum
21st Sep 2008, 12:00
Whilst we all pat ourselves on the backs for having found a way to rid ourselves of these hideous side panel adverts it is just possible that the brains behind the BB are working on some software that, if you don't accept their adverts, will deny you access to PPRuNe.

The death of PPRuNe in my book but these advertising chappies always know best!.

Keef
21st Sep 2008, 13:24
How much milk do you get from a cash cow before you send it for beef?

I still don't see these advertisements ye all complain about. That's with a standard Firefox 3.0.1 installation with Adblock Plus, Filterset G, and NoScript.

The other PC, back in Essex, has the same but on Gran Paradiso and with a few more techie add-ons. No ads there, either.

BOAC
21st Sep 2008, 14:02
I still don't see these advertisements ye all complain about. - Bless you, father. Meet me in the lefthand confessional box at 1400 tomorrow and I'll slip you a CDROM with them all on - including Beagle's if you promise 3 Hail Marys!:D

Gran Paradiso - do I have take the cloth to get that?:)

green granite
21st Sep 2008, 14:24
Gran Paradiso and with a few more techie add-ons. No ads there, either.

Neither shiretoko or minefild have the ads either but they both seem to change the displayed forum width at random as though the add boxes sometimes interfere. Since they are still in alpha release I supose its only to be expected.

Gertrude the Wombat
21st Sep 2008, 16:05
ALL the adverts are back. B*gger.
You say how you're blocking the ads, and you say this in public, and more to the point on a forum which the people running the site are likely to read, and surprise surprise that particlular blocking method stops working!

Well duh!!!

Pontius Navigator
21st Sep 2008, 16:31
Gertrude, very true but there were many suggestions :(

Keef
21st Sep 2008, 17:04
Gran Paradiso - do I have take the cloth to get that?:)
If you feel that is your vocation, my son...:ok:

Otherwise, just download it and give it a whirl.

It's the development version of Firefox, but at a fairly late stage of development so reasonably stable. I run it in parallel with Firefox (released version) and Minefield (the further-out version), mostly out of interest to watch browser development happening, but also to provide some user feedback to the folks doing the development.

But I don't get any ads, either.

call100
21st Sep 2008, 21:11
You say how you're blocking the ads, and you say this in public, and more to the point on a forum which the people running the site are likely to read, and surprise surprise that particlular blocking method stops working!

Well duh!!!

Like the Mods and the Forum owner don't know about and actually use adblockers on their personal computers. I dare say even the office computers.....:ugh:

TURIN
21st Sep 2008, 22:05
Thanks for the tips all. Adblock plus downloaded. It won't block google ads though. :ok:

Saab Dastard
21st Sep 2008, 22:09
It won't block google ads though

It does if you set it up right.

SD

banana9999
22nd Sep 2008, 16:16
I still not have seen a single advertisement from google. I am missing out :(

BEagle
24th Sep 2008, 05:40
Count yourself lucky!

The highly irritating and intrusive side bar adverts are still there, despite everyones' protests.

Why is nothing being done to respond to users' complaints? And no smug "It's his train set" bolleaux; without contributors, PPRuNe has absolutely no other 'product' to offer.....
How much milk do you get from a cash cow before you send it for beef?

How true!

Saab Dastard
24th Sep 2008, 09:31
Beagle, the reality is that a very, very very,very, very, very, very, very small number of people have complained, compared with the total readership.

Are reader numbers declining? Quite simply - no.

Perhaps a vast number have had or now have adblocking in place. Perhaps the majority have huge widescreens in place that accomodate the ads with negligible side-effects (boom-boom).

Perhaps loads of people actually like the ads or find them useful.

I don't like the ads in the side bar - certainly not on thread pages. Nor do I like the google ads under usernames. But I simply block them all, now. I do not see a single ad, anywhere on the site.

Is that counter-productive by IB? Very possibly. But as far as I am aware, the ads are here to stay.

SD

Kerosine
24th Sep 2008, 10:24
Beagle, the reality is that a very, very very,very, very, very, very, very small number of people have complained, compared with the total readership.

How many would state they disliked it if asked though? Active complainers are never a measure of general opinion.

It seems odd that such an obtrusive advert would be placed on every single thread page viewed. I personally echo the comments about it cheapening the look of Pprune :bored:

Keef
24th Sep 2008, 11:21
Like SD, I don't see any of the ads, so I have nothing to complain about.

My PC blocks ads on ALL the websites I visit. Some sites insist that I have to enable stuff before they'll work. If it's javascript on their own website, fair enough. More than that = "No sale". If I was going to buy from them, I'm not any more.

Firefox with the Add-Ons has the added major advantage that there's a separate "sin bin" for the sites you NEVER want to be asked about. Google Ads and DoubleClick are in mine, along with a fair few others.

call100
24th Sep 2008, 11:47
Did a quick survey (not scientific:bored:) at work and friends......28 people asked only one saw ads. All others used Adblockers. The one on his own now uses Adblocker plus with FireFox so that's 28 out of 28.
I think the main reason for no complaints is the fact that not many people see them. The answer is so simple I fail to understand the complaints anyway.....:ugh:

parabellum
24th Sep 2008, 12:09
88 posts and 2312 views. A lot of people will have already had ad blocking in place whilst others will have now and most can't be bothered to post about it unless they have a problem.

cargosales
24th Sep 2008, 12:35
Saab:
I don't like the ads in the side bar - certainly not on thread pages. Nor do I like the google ads under usernames. But I simply block them all, now. I do not see a single ad, anywhere on the site.

Is that counter-productive by IB? Very possibly. But as far as I am aware, the ads are here to stay.

I'll agree with the others who say it looks awful. But I'll add that I don't currently use an adblocker because I find that very few of the sites I visit look so bad or overloaded as this one does now.

If an adblocker can be configured to work only on certain sites i.e. this one, then I'm going to install and use it. Even if that means missing out on those useful or interesting ads that I previously clicked on when visiting this site. Ho hum

banana9999
24th Sep 2008, 20:28
Count yourself lucky!

The highly irritating and intrusive side bar adverts are still there, despite everyones' protests.

Why is nothing being done to respond to users' complaints? And no smug "It's his train set" bolleaux; without contributors, PPRuNe has absolutely no other 'product' to offer.....

How true!
I just logged on from a work computer. **** me it is a bit much innit (IE and no ad blocker)

Mind you - you can used FF and Adblock and then there is *nothing* to complain about once you tell it to ignore them.

mutt
25th Sep 2008, 05:35
Saab Dastard, I migrated to FF plus adblocker for this site alone! I dont see any google ads, NOR the paid banner ads, therefore whats the point in someone paying to advertise specifically on PPrune to target an audience, if that audience is blocking out the ads?

Mutt

Wader2
25th Sep 2008, 10:11
Like Banana no ads, I suspect he is using the same IE version and gateway that I, and many other ppruners, use.

Maybe there are lots of other companies out there with similar system-wide blockers so that corporate ppruners don't know there is a problem.

windriver
29th Sep 2008, 22:22
http://www.noni-uk.co.uk/pu.jpg

:ok:

1800ed
1st Oct 2008, 20:36
That new advert size is just plain greedy. I am a website designer, amongst other things, and one thing you always have to consider is the resolution of your users monitors. Placing an advert in that position really screws people using smaller displays over. It intrudes on the viewing space far too much.

Doesn't affect me much as I'm using a 24" display, but I'm still blocking them, as it is just plain greed! :E

dazdaz
1st Oct 2008, 22:50
I've only got a 15" screen, your right sir.

Loose rivets
13th Oct 2008, 05:24
Just had another go at blocking the ads, when adblocker was first mentioned, I had a moment's success, then they were back to stay. There just don't seem to be that many tools that One could miss set.

The future is with minimal advertising. It's the future, not annoying the hell out of everyone.

call100
13th Oct 2008, 09:53
FF3 with adblock plus completely wipes out the adverts for me. I really cannot see what the problem is.:}

Loose rivets
13th Oct 2008, 11:02
First of all, the original attempt left me with an Ad block plus in my FF 3 0 3 tools. It seems to run, and shows several of these...

The Great Circle :: Aviation Pilot Supplies & Flight Training (http://ad.doubleclick.net/click;h=v8/3758/0/0/%2a/f;208398241;0-0;0;29733647;2321-160/600;28669376/28687255/1;;%7Esscs=%3fhttp://www.thegreatcircle.co.uk)

They was just a string of code when I pasted it in.!

They are shown as enabled. One with many hits. There seems to be so little to go on as to what happens next.

Re reading, I assumed I should have created the directory in FF shown in the blog. Got nowhere with that. As follows.

I have to just be missing the point somewhere.

Well, the download that i get is ..... Refusing to be pasted in here! Just don't know why. Download_plus (lots of stuff then ).xpi

I was told to put it in Mozilla -- Extensions -- and a file that was named from their site, which was a long string. This won't copy and paste either but is similar to the other folder names in Extensions.

it doesn't have { } at the ends like the others.

Anyway, if I do this, it unpacks, but then asks for code word and subscriptions etc. No concept of where this codeword comes from and had assumed it was free.

Loose rivets
13th Oct 2008, 20:08
Ah!

what would it be like to have a brain? always wanted one

Loose rivets
13th Oct 2008, 21:17
Tried it, and it worked.:ok:..........Until I rebooted. :{ Checked the other one had gone, and rebooted again. Still no f'in good.

Is it a paid service or free? Cos I seem to be signing up for 15 days trial. There was not a mention of this until I had nearly finished the installation. :mad: I hate when that happens.

Tell you what, having seen the screen for a few minutes without all that crap on it, I'm determined to rid myself of it or simply not bother with the site ---- after all these years. Having one's mind deluged with junk throughout all waking hours is becoming a serious issue for me.

:ugh::ugh::ugh: No, even that didn't help.

Saab Dastard
13th Oct 2008, 21:35
The free add-on for FF is ADBLOCK PLUS

SD

Keef
13th Oct 2008, 21:45
As he said - Adblock Plus.

Someone once also recommended Filterset G, which cured whatever was bothering me at the time, so I use that too.

Not seen an ad in yonks.

call100
13th Oct 2008, 23:30
Oh for Goodnes sake.....Just download Firefox3 then go here...( It is Adblock plus)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/1865
Click on add to Firefox, The rest is done for you.......

Stop trying to make it complicated......:)

Carrier
14th Oct 2008, 00:50
Follow Call100’s advice and stop trying to make it complicated. Get a Mac! I just followed AppleMacster’s advice and added Safari AdBlock. Like AM said, no configuration necessary. It just works!

Loose rivets
14th Oct 2008, 04:16
Soooooooooo much easier having an ad on site for FF. Never knew it existed. Thanks.

The thing is they have all worked for a few minutes, then back to the adds - so that's something of a puzzle.

Trying the link.

Everything seemed to be normal. Said that it would integrate with my FF.

The rest is done for you.......

Well, seemingly only up to a point. Unless there is a big AUTO button that I haven't pressed. ;)

Can I be quite clear...I'm going to tools, picking Adblock plus - Options - checking Enable Adblock plus and noting some filters, but are you defining all your own filters? If so, how did it work so perfectly for a while?

I'm trying to make my filters more generic, but it's not a simple as I'd hoped...but at least I'm getting some results now thanks.

It would give me a clue if I knew just how many filter definitions the typical ppruner would need. That would guide me on the sophistication of the filter.

Hah! the *.* filter I put in has blocked hundreds. What am I missing?:}

Saab Dastard
14th Oct 2008, 08:37
Rtfm?

:e

Sd

call100
14th Oct 2008, 11:15
I have not entered any filters of my own the Generic lists seem to obliterate all the ads for me. I'm certainly more than happy with it...
Are you missing something? I doubt it. The point of advertising is to sell us something we don't need.
If you need something you will search for it......:ok:

Loose rivets
14th Oct 2008, 17:41
Strange....I had at first assumed that the generic lists would do the job. After all, they worked for a few moments.

In a nutshell, this is what my last post was asking. Or, is there a function that I've missed time and time again that causes the program to write its own filters?

After all this cafuffle, I then assumed that I had to put a lot more work into achieving the goal of no adds. I was getting very aware that playing with computers had stopped any productive work for some weeks. But as long as it's fun...but not winning on any front had stopped it being fun.:{

Anyway, last night, having introduced many, many filters, the screen was clear. The Google one this lunchtime GMT - 6, defies all attempts to block it. Paste in the full address or get it off Properties, makes no difference. It's gone for the time being anyway.

frostbite
14th Oct 2008, 19:55
At what point does it become more trouble getting rid of them than having them there in the first place?

green granite
14th Oct 2008, 20:22
At what point does it become more trouble getting rid of them than having them there in the first place?

Tis the principle of it that make us persevere :ok:

Loose rivets
14th Oct 2008, 20:49
That's right, and I used to be found up at all hours determined to beat a problem. Now, I'm running out of time, I need another 30 years to finish my novel.:hmm:

Just finished a call to a pal in the UK. He tells me that the real figures of Vista 'adoption' is much less than that promulgated. He thinks it's a worse OS than ME.

However, right now, he says that he is stuck with MS XP Pro cos of TurboCAD. Running that on any flavor of Linux would be difficult or impossible. For me, that would put a blocker on a permanent switch to Linux cos I need CAD from time to time.

His son uses Linux with no graphical interface. Sounds like fun.

Anyway, he also stated that MS has extended their support date for XP for another couple of years! Can they have cliimbed down that much?

BEagle
23rd Dec 2009, 07:56
Is it just me - or have those infuriating right hand side adverts been binned at long last?

I haven't changed any settings or anything (I now use IE8), but the right hand edge rubbish hasn't been appearing on PPRuNe for a while now.....

Hopefully the lesson has been learned and the adverts won't be coming back!

parabellum
23rd Dec 2009, 11:29
Only get the title page for the forums with a large blank down the RHS now, no adverts.

I suspect the powers that be are trying out all sorts of cookies etc. to foil our efforts to block them.

Maybe we are giving them vital information by discussing our individual reception?

Saab Dastard
23rd Dec 2009, 11:35
Maybe we are giving them vital information by discussing our individual reception?

Yes, you are! :E

There has been a spot of experimenting going on by IB - which even affected us mods for a while (thankfully resolved).

I wouldn't expect that blank space to remain blank for long, though. :hmm:

SD