PDA

View Full Version : Rwy Centerline lights

RWP
15th Sep 2008, 22:38
Does anyone know if in other countries besides the US, primarily the Middle East, are all the centerline lights red, the last 1500 feet? All I have ever known was the last 1000 feet.

THX

Throttle Arms
16th Sep 2008, 13:00
Not too sure about the Middle East specifically, but any ICAO signatory countries are bound by the standard in Annex 14 and should have red lights for the last 300m (1000'). ...unless they've filed a difference with ICAO.

Hopefully someone can chime in with some real-world experience.

Cecco
17th Sep 2008, 07:29
From 900 m before the far runway end, the centreline lights start alternating between white and red and then are all red for the last 300 m. That's what I remember from my air law folder. However, I haven't paid attention to that in real life.

TwinJock
17th Sep 2008, 09:42
Sounds good to me Cecco!:ok:

Runway Centreline Lighting System

Runway centreline lights are installed on some precision approach runways to facilitate landing under adverse visibility conditions. They are located along the runway centreline and are spaced at 50-foot intervals. When viewed from the landing threshold, the runway centreline lights are white until the last 3,000 feet of the runway. The white lights begin to alternate with red for the next 2,000 feet, and for the last 1,000 feet of the runway, all centreline lights are red.

Sir George Cayley
18th Sep 2008, 20:34
And when there are no more centerline lights, you've gone beyond the end of the runway.:sad:

Turn to the person in the lh seat and say "Should I call company or will you?":ooh:

It's the amount of runway behind you at touchdown that matters!

Quiz question. On a runway without a centerline, what denotes approaching the end of the runway?

Sir George Cayley

DBate
18th Sep 2008, 22:22
On a runway without a centerline, what denotes approaching the end of the runway? My guess:

The end of the tarmac and the subsequent field or grass during daylight ops. :8

Red runway end lights during nighttime ops (no approaches to runways without runway end lights allowed during nighttime ops at my outfit).

:)

Sir George Cayley
19th Sep 2008, 21:49
Good effort, Dbate, but no cigar :-(

If there are no c/l lights then the caution zone is denoted by amber RWY edge lights.:ok:

So, if the cockpit fills with an eairy yellow glow and you're still doin' 70 kts+ I suggest you both press harder on the brakes and say after me "The Lord is my ....."

Good luck.;)

Sir George Cayley

DBate
20th Sep 2008, 10:50
Ooops, you are right!

So it's back to the books for me before my next flight. ;)

Thanks for the hint,
DBate