PDA

View Full Version : "Ads by Google"

Wholigan
15th Sep 2008, 23:01
Yes I know the site needs advertising to survive.

I also know that people are talking about this subject in another thread.

However, I find the new "Ads by Google" down the right side to be such a pain in the arse that I think they need a whole new "whine" thread all to themselves.

Get rid of them and put the ads at the top or down the bottom please.

Whirlygig
15th Sep 2008, 23:04
I normally use Firefox with AdBlocker but am having a brief flirtation with Google Chrome. I don't suppose they have developed an Ad Blocker? :}

You're right Wholi, if the ads are at the bottom, you can ignore them and have full screen width!

Cheers

Whirls

CityofFlight
15th Sep 2008, 23:06
Preferably all the way at the bottom! :ok:

Radar66
15th Sep 2008, 23:18
grump grump they interfere with my prooning methods....

[1] open up Jet Blast.

[2] move cursor over interesting threads to see the first few lines.

[3] if thread looks good, or even ridiculous enough to warrant my attention, right click and open in new window.

now i just have a thin ribbon of script and the :mad: side ads take up all the room!!!

please - as Wholigan says, i fully realise that the ads are an important part of the filling of the pprune coffers et al but PLEASE please get rid of the side ads?!!! please? :O

they are worse than the flashing 'scared of flying?' ads!! :ugh:

windriver
15th Sep 2008, 23:19
Bin the side ads.... It's a myth that they generate more clicks. Sack the marketing person now. :=

This presentation only holds true for Nil Content Agregator type sites whose sole aim is to present users with a (profitable to the site owners) route elsewhere.

They are also an insult to your loyal (and welcome) industry banner advertisers.

Bin them now... or at least move them to the foot of the page.

con-pilot
15th Sep 2008, 23:25
At the very least, perhaps they could go away when a thread is opened.

G-CPTN
15th Sep 2008, 23:38
My (laptop) 'desktop' has an analogue clock (and a CPU/memory usage meter) at the right hand side and I arrange PPRuNe to occupy the remainder, however, since the introduction of the side adverts it significantly reduces the 'working area' and annoys me.
Maybe that is the intention? Because of that I wouldn't click on any advert now (although I have done - or at least read those at the bottom of the screen, so it's a negative effect).
Get rid of them (or at least move them back)!

banana9999
15th Sep 2008, 23:48
I am really pleased with these new ads. I like them.

G-CPTN
15th Sep 2008, 23:53
Why do we need repetition of the same advert along the top and down the side?
I think we should be told . . .

Atlas Shrugged
16th Sep 2008, 00:38
Haven't go time to look at the ads....too busy pressing the "Fun Button" at the bottom :suspect:

Foss
16th Sep 2008, 01:30
Yes, they do create revenue, but they make a right mess of the page.

NotPilotAtALL
16th Sep 2008, 05:05
Hi,

I suggest a boycott of PPRuNE forum ( one week for begin) until this sh*t adds are removed or moved in a convenient place.
See you in a week
I begin boycott NOW !

Cheers.

kansasw
16th Sep 2008, 05:42
With you on that. Pprune off for a week, except I have to post a new first line to the Limerick thread. That'll fix 'em!

Hobo
16th Sep 2008, 06:28
I wish to object about everything. (Particularly the position of the Google ads.)

I don't know enough about web design, but could the page be arranged so all the posts below the ads occupied the full width, and/or the ads would only appear on the first page of a thread?

Loose rivets
16th Sep 2008, 06:30
I suggest a boycott of PPRuNE forum

Oh, steady on old boy! Can't say I'd want to go that far. :rolleyes:

sthaussiepilot
16th Sep 2008, 07:15
Banana,
how could you possible like them??

_____

they're horrible, making everything longer than it needs to be, and boycott, I doubt that will ever happen :p

_____

Please move them to the bottom...
Please

Loose rivets
16th Sep 2008, 07:20
I did the addblock etc and lost the power to do quotes smileys and WP type layout. Print was without breaks. Turned it off and stuck a picture of a naked girl over the adds.:E

Pinky the pilot
16th Sep 2008, 08:19
Add me to the ''agin 'em'' group!

Move the ads to the bottom please.

sthaussiepilot
16th Sep 2008, 08:21
Any good? (the chick)

If not I see the bad side rivets:p

windriver
16th Sep 2008, 08:47
Still there... oh dear.

Wonder if it has anything to do with increased ad value with the falling ... ?

angels
16th Sep 2008, 09:07
Awful.

Agree with the above. Also it makes everthing so bloody amateurish. My son could do better.

ThreadBaron
16th Sep 2008, 09:16
Could be worse. The ads could be where we are and we could be down the right-hand side.:} Guv! Guv! Honest, it were a joke!

Evanelpus
16th Sep 2008, 09:26
Dreadful, dreadful, dreadful.

Please, if anyone has the power to change things, do it soon. Would be interested to hear the 'party line' from Danny, maybe?

Parapunter
16th Sep 2008, 09:29
Adblock. Find it in your add on list for firefox users & voila. Just like the old days.

lexxity
16th Sep 2008, 10:18
Please, please can we get rid of these ads down the side? It makes browsing a pain. Put them back under our usernames please, that was much better.

ArthurR
16th Sep 2008, 10:50
Damn, if it wasn't for this thread, I would never have noticed them. :ugh: :mad:

Sallyann1234
16th Sep 2008, 12:13
works for any browser.

Make sure the browser window isn't maximised (by clicking 'Restore down')

Grab the browser window frame top and drag it to the right until the ad bar falls off the screen.

If necessary, restore the viewable window size by dragging the window frame left side.

eastern wiseguy
16th Sep 2008, 12:20
Cheap nasty and throws my whole browsing experience out of kilter:\

As an aside there is ZERO chance I will click on them.....

Bill16STN
16th Sep 2008, 12:29
Hurumph!

Bin the f:mad:g ads!!!

airborne_artist
16th Sep 2008, 12:33
Another vote for Adblock on FF :ok:

unconcerned
16th Sep 2008, 12:36
Wholi get yerself an iMac mate - with a 24" screen you hardly notice the ads :p :E

green granite
16th Sep 2008, 12:40
Firefox with adblock and 'no script' and I see no adds at all, not even under my name. :ok:

Foss
16th Sep 2008, 13:18
Just tried something there.
I copied and pasted the first post from 'If you ever travel as an air line passenger, please read this.'
In this format, for me, that filled over FIVE screen pages.

Wader2
16th Sep 2008, 13:32
What ads?:confused:

Ozzy
16th Sep 2008, 14:38
Not claiming credit for this fix, someone posted this a while back for another Google ad headache and I just checked it gets rid of the fecking ads on the side.

Ozzy

If you want to stick to Internet Explorer the following appears to have solved the issue for me. (WARNING: This "patch" should remove all Google Adsense Ads from ALL sites you visit but I make no guarantees that it will work for you)

In My Computer open folder C: \WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc (or wherever you have Windows installed) - look for file "hosts" Open this using Notepad (or other Text editor - DO NOT USE WORD/WORDPAD)

The hosts file may be empty, it may be not.

If there is an existing line which reads:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Then directly below this line(NO blank lines) type:

127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com

If the file is empty then type this as two lines with no space:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Then save the file and close Notepad. Shut down Internet explorer if running.

Open Internet Explorer again, come back to PPrune and fingers crossed problem solved. Basically what it does is to divert requests to go to the adsense pages directly back at your own computer so it never actually gets to the adsense page so the "page not found" errors do not occur and the back button works normally. (Fingers crossed! - it did the job for me)

Wholigan
16th Sep 2008, 16:12
It seems to me that if everybody is going to use "work-arounds" to ensure they don't even see the ads in question, then it can't take many brain cells on the part of the site-owners / programmers / advertisers for them to realise that they are being totally counter-productive by having the annoying ads where they are, because nobody will see them at all, whereas if they were not in such a pain-in-the-arse position at least some people would see them!

Just a thought owners .................

G-CPTN
16th Sep 2008, 16:18
Do you think that any of the administrators reads any of the contributions? :ugh:

Forkandles
16th Sep 2008, 16:20
Not claiming credit for this fix, someone posted this a while back for another Google ad headache and I just checked it gets rid of the fecking ads on the side.

Nope, still there on mine.
There again, I struggle to make Sky+ work, let alone a video, so I could possibly have not followed your instructions to the letter... :(

Ozzy
16th Sep 2008, 17:02
I could possibly have not followed your instructions to the letter

double check your spelling, or cut and paste this into the "hosts" file:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Saab Dastard
16th Sep 2008, 17:08
Do you think that any of the administrators reads any of the contributions?

Yes. They do. :ugh:

SD

Forkandles
16th Sep 2008, 18:31
double check your spelling, or cut and paste this into the "hosts" file:

127.0.0.1 localhost

Didn't work on the PC at work, but it's done the business on mine at home! Cheers Ozzy! :ok:

G-CPTN
16th Sep 2008, 18:48
where would you put it?Between p*sts? That way you could get twenty per page.

Tocsin
16th Sep 2008, 19:15
Ozzy's tip works fine (I'm using Chrome, but the tip should be browser-agnostic).

Thanks, Ozzy!

G-CPTN
16th Sep 2008, 19:25
Works with Firefox too (unless they've removed them). :ok:

Whirlygig
16th Sep 2008, 19:55
Thanks to dhblewis, the privoxy thingy works a treat with Chrome and ads are gone!

Cheers

Whirls

selfloadingcargo
16th Sep 2008, 20:38
Get real guys. This is a revenue generating device. Without it they just close the site. Get over yourselves. Sure it sucks - but the alternative is for us all to pay to keep Proon ad-free. Hands up all those who are ready to do that? Anyone with their hands down had better learn to live with it - or use one of the blocking suggestions which work just fine.

It's a myth that they generate more clicks.

No it isn't - depending on who you think it is generating clicks for. For the sponsors of the links it works. There are very sophisticated reporting tools out there; if it isn't working, I guarantee that the sponsored links will be gone within three weeks.

Loose rivets
16th Sep 2008, 21:10
I refuse to buy anything...Oh! HELLLLLLICOPTERS............WOW. Yes, I'll have one of those...two of the yellow ones, and put me down for one of those big buggers with the two eggbeaters.

Thank goodness that add was there...would've hated to have missed that.:rolleyes:

BEagle
16th Sep 2008, 22:58
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg

Whilst there are reasonable methods for generating revenue, these clumsily-sited google adverts merely antagonise people.

However, the ECM continues - as many have discovered, a blanket block on ALL adverts works pretty well.

Keef
16th Sep 2008, 23:08
I've never seen these ads that ye complain of. AdAware, Filterset G, and NoScript have been on this machine for a long time.

Sometimes I have problems with sites that want to upload a batch of stuff onto my machine before I can buy whatever it is. When I click on the NoScript icon to see what's happening, sometimes there are six or so different things there.

NoScript has the big "plus" that you can put the really offending ones into the "Untrusted" bin, so they don't even appear when you click on the NoScript icon to open up a site you want. Guess what's in mine ;)

merlinxx
16th Sep 2008, 23:10
He he, they've gone!

BEagle
16th Sep 2008, 23:26
Some of them have now morphed into 'active' adverts, lowering the quality of this website yet further.

But all that's going to happen is that more and more people will simply block ALL adverts, so the whole process will become ultimately self-defeating.

And before anyone quacks on about how we should feel grateful for a 'free' site, remember that PPRuNe is worth cock-all without contributors!

G-CPTN
17th Sep 2008, 00:04
Some have paid for PTs . . .

G-CPTN
17th Sep 2008, 00:10
Uh-oh they're back . . .

Bravo73
17th Sep 2008, 01:36
Thanks to everyone who mentioned Adblocker for Firefox. :D:D:D

My screen is a sea of tranquillity again. :ok:

AA SLF
17th Sep 2008, 05:39
Very strongly DISLIKE the adverts down the right-hand side. Pain in the arse . . . . . . :mad:

windriver
17th Sep 2008, 11:30
It's a myth that they generate more clicks.

No it isn't - depending on who you think it is generating clicks for. For the sponsors of the links it works. There are very sophisticated reporting tools out there; if it isn't working, I guarantee that the sponsored links will be gone within three weeks.

Yes it is... if they are badly positioned.

This Website is unusual in as much as its content is effectively 100% forum based.

The side link interferes with the user experience. If the side adverts were restricted to the Homepage or Section Headings but removed from the thread body it would be more effective and probably not alienate the core user base.

stillin1
17th Sep 2008, 14:46
Pprune may need the money but I am signing up for the move the bloody ads petition.:mad:

Ozzy
17th Sep 2008, 14:50
If you have been able to suppress the ugly Ad Sense ads you may still be seeing the odd ad on the side. These are not Google ads but they are even more distracting as sometimes they are not displayed and sometimes are. Bleeding useless and annoying.

Ozzy

The Flying Pram
17th Sep 2008, 21:11
I didn't realise there were any ads until I saw this thread - yep, another vote for Firefox with Adblock!

banana9999
18th Sep 2008, 01:08
Banana,
how could you possible like them??

_____

they're horrible, making everything longer than it needs to be, and boycott, I doubt that will ever happen :p

_____

Please move them to the bottom...
Please

Not even seen any yet :shrug:

BlueWolf
18th Sep 2008, 01:17
They're a complete pain in the arse, and they cheapen the look of the site as well as reducing its practicality as a discussion board. But I only get them at home, not at work :confused:

Saab Dastard
18th Sep 2008, 08:40
But I only get them at home, not at work

At work, a firewall and / or proxy has probably already been configured to block the [email protected] before it evens reaches your PC.

And possibly the standard "corporate image" build has been applied to the PC which may also have some adblocking capability added.

SD

BlueWolf
18th Sep 2008, 10:59
Ozzy's fix didn't work for me. Neither did attempting to block the Googlesyndication site via my firewall, but then I don't claim to be a computer guru. Sallyann, what is "restore down"? I don't seem to have that as an option :{

Perhaps the best outcome would be for whichever over-enthusiastic member of PPRuNe's new owner's staff to eat enough humble pie to accept and realise that making a site which is already one third advertising, into a site which has become three-quarters advertising, may not have been the best idea.

I did pay for a personal title, to support Danny and the otherwise free site he provided, not to support this irritating tabloid crap.

Zeppelin
18th Sep 2008, 13:07
Thanks Ozzy :ok:

Everything back to 'normal'

For info I had 2 'hosts' files :confused: and needed to do 'em both for it to work

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!
18th Sep 2008, 13:18
But I only get them at home, not at work I thought you worked for yourself :confused:

Wholigan
18th Sep 2008, 15:13
http://m1.2mdn.net/1694568/pprune120x600b.gif

Of course we bloody notice it - it's what we're moaning about!!! Doesn't mean it's effective though - - rather the opposite.

:E

spekesoftly
18th Sep 2008, 15:37
Notice what? :E

rubik101
18th Sep 2008, 16:36
Anyone who is stupid enough to click on any advert on any page of any site on the Internet desrves all the crap they get.
For the rest of us, please get rid of the bloody interfering things, they are just so much junk!

banana9999
18th Sep 2008, 19:35
Why isn't everyone blaming Danny for this? He took the King's schilling (and quite right too - well depending on how much it was of course!)

How are IB gonna get their money that they paid The Great One? SEO titles, google ads, proactively attracting new users (which negates an age old moderator argument of "we didn't find you, you found us"). So the root cause is Danny selling out

:) ;)

BlueWolf
19th Sep 2008, 03:34
I thought you worked for yourself

For the last year I haven't, but so frustrating is the corporate world becoming that I think I'll go back to it in the New Year.

Two files eh, will have another look at it over the weekend, otherwise I suppose I'll just have to limit myself to prooning on the company's time, whilst such is still available.

Loose rivets
19th Sep 2008, 03:55
What's happening? One moment I'm rid of the ads, then they come fighting back.

Restart Pprune and they're gone again for the moment.

Bugger....having writ that, they're back.

mutt
19th Sep 2008, 06:14
Loose Rivets,

Suggest you download the Firefox browser Mozilla | Firefox web browser & Thunderbird email client (http://www.mozilla.com) then download an ad blocker. It gives you back the complete page size and removes ALL advertisements.....

Mutt

Loose rivets
19th Sep 2008, 06:37
One has FF 3.0.1 Thunderbird is something I know not of.

I downloaded it, and got part of the way through the intallation, only to be asked the name of my incoming sever and then the outgoing. F:mad:k, nothing is going right tonight.

''Colin'' didn't do it and so I'm no further forward. I have never been asked for these names before and they are totally meaningless to me. In the mean time my adds are coming and going, with the screen changing size on a moment by moment basis.

One has not got a stroke of work done in a week, just spent ages installing Epson 3170. Been using it for years. Now all the software is subtelly different with no option to choose file type and a new front end. Where do these things come from? It's the same install disc and the same scanner. Now the controls have changed. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

One is orf for wine and a good book. And I'm flatly refusing to buy any hellicopters.

BEagle
19th Sep 2008, 08:09
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/zxzxz.jpg

Be gone, ye vile adverts!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a341/nw969/Internet/PNS.jpg

rubik101
19th Sep 2008, 10:25
How do we set up a vote to show our preference for these vile and useless space wasters?
Does anyone actually look at them?
The idiots who actually pay to have them there need their collective heads examining.

On_The_Top_Bunk
19th Sep 2008, 19:00
OMG I just got on and thought my browser was bollo***.

Please get rid of them.

Wholigan
22nd Sep 2008, 16:08
And what is even more annoying about them is that when a page has just loaded (and you have forgotten about the bollox ads) you click on a "last reply" tab only to have that **** off over to the left as you click and then you find yourself clicking on something entirely different.

Rant feckin rant.

Dunno why I'm bothering though 'cos nobody "up there" will take a blind bit of notice!

Captain Stable
22nd Sep 2008, 18:18
Well, I have now switched back to Firefox, installed AdBlock 2, fed it with google adsense and doubleclick.net addresses and now ALL ads have disappeared from PPRuNe. Thanks to those ads down the right-hand side, advertisers are losing out. If others follow me, all investment in PPRuNe by advertisers will be entirely wasted because nobody will see them. :hmm:

Aluminium shuffler
30th Jan 2016, 10:27
Seriously? This site is advertising the sale of a "soon to be banned" military flashlight that appears to be equipped with a green laser?

captplaystation
30th Jan 2016, 12:52
Never has the acronym WTF ? seemed more appropriate. :ugh:

poke53281
30th Jan 2016, 13:06
might be targeted ads based on cookies and previous searches.
So next time you search for"leopard skin jock strap" you may see an ad for "holidays to Kenya." pop up somewhere.

Intruder
30th Jan 2016, 13:16
May be true. I have not seen the ad...

grizzled
30th Jan 2016, 13:18
In this case the point is not that we the users could use "adblock". The point here is that pprune is permitting a company to advertise an item on its site that is a known threat to flight safety.

donpizmeov
30th Jan 2016, 13:47
Go to user CP and disable ads. Easy.

Union Jack
30th Jan 2016, 13:55
The point here is that pprune (sic) is permitting a company to advertise an item on its site that is a known threat to flight safety.

Fair enough but, purely in response to Go to user CP and disable ads. Easy, surely going to the bottom left hand corner of the webpage and selecting "PPRuNe No Adds Style" is an even easier, and more comprehensive, solution.

Jack

Phantom Driver
30th Jan 2016, 16:47
As Benny Hill used to say-"learn something new every day!":)

jack11111
30th Jan 2016, 20:28
Quite often websites sell the banner space with little idea of what ads will appear.
Most often ad content reflects users browser history.

Sallyann1234
30th Jan 2016, 22:09
Ads on prune? Really?

polecat2
30th Jan 2016, 22:31
surely going to the bottom left hand corner of the webpage and selecting "PPRuNe No Adds Style" is an even easier, and more comprehensive, solution.

Thanks for that tip. :ok:

Polecat

Capot
1st Feb 2016, 13:44
"PPRuNe No Adds Style" Yes, thanks for that. But how do you make it the default setting? It seems to revert to ".....Googleleads Style" when I log in again.

Pinky the pilot
1st Feb 2016, 14:37
Just re-read this thread from the start and noted that I must have had a problem with ads on this site m'self back in '08.

Can't remember exactly what I did but it must have involved installing some sort of ad blocker as I haven't had any pop up for years now.

funfly
2nd Feb 2016, 17:01
Can't understand this thread.

I have a Mac and use Safari. I have never seen google ads down the right hand side.
The only one I ever get is a banner advert at the top of each page and a small square one very top right.

Am I missing something?

Am I missing something important?

FF