PDA

View Full Version : Anyone from Zimex Aviation ?

hvh
15th Sep 2008, 18:19
Hi fellows,

Is there someone here currently flying for Zimex Aviation ?
Iīve a job opportunity there and was hoping to hear from someone, who knows whatīs like to work for them.......

Happy landings,
HVH

bigoil
15th Sep 2008, 18:54
Last I heard there were about 140 pilots employed so hang in and someone will reply.

Mine is second hand info but my contact says its a fair place to work.

They are growing and adding to the fleet with B1900 no.4 on line soon and the last count was 14 or 15 Otters and a handful of the PC6 Also a B200 somewhere.

The one big minus I hear is the roster is not constant, you are always extended in the field extra days or weeks and asked to leave home early to cover for someone as they are short of crew as the pay is not that good.
Very hard to plan a normal life.

hvh
15th Sep 2008, 23:27
Thank you bigoil, appreciate it.
If someone has any more info, pls share...

homing pigeon
16th Sep 2008, 13:25
Take it if contract type flying in the Mideast is for you. It's the best deal going if you can take the heat. Yes, due to the shortage of European Otter pilots you don't always get the intended full five weeks well-paid vacation every five weeks. Salary for being on vacation and just existing is quite nice and then when you're in the field you get an extra daily pay rate. When you get extended or are called back early you get this daily rate so you're not forfeiting your time off for nothing.

They are in the oil field business. With the world economy collapsing as it is, it's also probably one of the most secure jobs. Lots of guys here who have been several years, even decades.

homing pigeon
16th Sep 2008, 13:33
Take it if contract type flying in the Mideast is for you. It's the best deal going if you can take the heat. Yes, due to the shortage of European Otter pilots you don't always get the intended full five weeks well-paid vacation every five weeks. Salary for being on vacation and just existing is quite nice and then when you're in the field you get an extra daily pay rate. When you get extended or are called back early you get this daily rate so you're not forfeiting your time off for nothing.

They are in the oil field business. With the world economy collapsing as it is, it's also probably one of the most secure jobs. Lots of guys here who have been several years, even decades.

Propstop
17th Sep 2008, 20:15
hvh
There have been a few Icelandic pilots flying for Zimex over the years, hopefully you may get onto one of them who will be able to give you a rundown.
Zimex is a good operation and above all the pay is on time; the rest is up to you how you fit in.

hvh
17th Sep 2008, 23:03
Thatīs true Propstop...However, Itīs been so many years since the last one was there, so thatīs why I wanted to see if anything had changed over the years....

Thanks for the info...
HVH

Propstop
18th Sep 2008, 06:15
hvh
If you have met any who were in Huambo in 1990 tell them to pm me. Those were the days!!!!

V1... Ooops
19th Sep 2008, 07:56
I was in Huambo in 1990...

Propstop
20th Sep 2008, 07:15
Aaahhh! HB-LOK!!!!!! and the mid flight hot section inspection. Now D2-EVH.
I was in Burma too.
Mike, those were the days my friend, the good old days, the likes of which will never be seen again. G.

FlyTCI
22nd Sep 2008, 03:37
I've been with Zimex for three years now as Twotter captain. What has already been said in this thread is pretty much correct. Again, the biggest issue being the 5/5 schedule in theory doesn't work out in practice. Extensions of trips and training on your time off are normal ops. The toughest part (for me at least) is being isolated in the desert for 5+ weeks at a time away from friends and family. Flying can get quite repetitious too and not very challenging.

Other than that not too much to complain about. If you are looking to fly PC-6, DHC-6 or B1900 I can't come up with a better employer.

They are still hiring (last I heard) and if you got the JAR license go for it. They even take non typed guys if they sign a 2 year (I think) contract.

Good luck,

FT

hvh
23rd Sep 2008, 21:59
Thanks...

What about the hiring process...
Is the interview just straight forward ?
I also read on their website that they have some tests...anyone ?

regd,
HVH

Energetic Pilot
1st Dec 2010, 15:09
How is the housing/living like when down the route?

Do you have internet connections (skype!), hotels, appartments, can u do sports, food???

Cheers

V1... Ooops
1st Dec 2010, 15:20
...Do you have internet connections (skype!), hotels, appartments, can u do sports, food???

Harrumph, cough, snort... My goodness, look at the expectations of the younger crowd these days! When I was with Zimex in the 1980s, we slept rough under the wing at night, had to shoot our own wild game every morning for breakfast, and then hand-propped the PT6's to get them started! :}

Next think you know, the co-pilots are going to be wanting 1,000 thread count sheets!

It's not like the good old days... :{

Michael

Energetic Pilot
1st Dec 2010, 16:14
But today is December 1st in 2 0 1 0 !

How is it nowadays??????????

Isnīt the PT-6 a turbine engine?:rolleyes:
Btw., I was born in 1980 BUT I still sleep underneath my aircraftīs wing (biplane) - when I fly for leisure.
I think most guys with Zimex are flying to do their living! Thus the above questions are a little bit important today, esp. when one has family!

captplaystation
1st Dec 2010, 22:13
If you look on youtube under "Sahara operations DHC6" there are several nice clips by Eric Goujon/ Goujean ? (sorry if I got the name a bit wrong, writing from memory here)
From these , you could believe that a lot of nights are spent in air conditioned portakabins in the desert, couldn't see if there was an antennae for internet via satellite, and I imagine sport is limited to kicking/punching a ball around or racing camels, not a swimming pool in sight. Don't know how much time is spent in aforesaid portakabins, versus how many nights in Hassi M, where there would undoubtedly be a "few" (with the emphasis on "few" ) more opportunities.
Let me know if you find out more, could be an interesting little job if they respected 1 mth on 1 mth off, but I have read on here earlier that extensions & early call-outs from your time off, are not uncommon.

helldog
2nd Dec 2010, 11:13
Must have TR to work for them. Even if you have thousands of command hours in Africa on similar aircraft. No TR no job. And thats with a JAA ATPL as well.

TOFFAIR
2nd Dec 2010, 14:08
Do they find sufficient pilots with all those requirements? Is the pay worth all that?

dasher3
3rd Dec 2010, 09:40
Anyone had trouble getting a CV through on the Zimex website...I get it all filled out then push send and all I get is ...server error....probably me as I am not all that computer literate. WTH is a TR?, I have a Canadian and JAR ALTP with about 35 years in Africa, must have missed something.

gerpols
3rd Dec 2010, 10:34
TYPERATING maybe ......;)

dasher3
3rd Dec 2010, 12:01
oops, I must have taken a stupid pill this morning.
thanks

MKA742
8th Dec 2010, 10:28
I have a JAA Frozen ATP. 350 hours of flying 210 in Namibia.

I'll try it anyway of course but do you think they would consider me if I get the Twotter rating?

I heared you can do those in the UK somewhere...

Killer Loop
15th Dec 2010, 10:24
I doubt it mate. F/O's at my place with 1500 TT and 600 hours in the right seat of a DHC-6 aren't getting a look in so I'm not sure you would be competitive right now.

otterpilot99
27th Dec 2010, 09:15
I fly for ZIMEX. Rotations great. NEVER a problem. Great company. Great rotations, and best of all, MONEY ALWAYS in the bank on time. You cant beat this company. Best kept secret.

Aquafina1
29th Dec 2010, 18:14
I have 750hrs on a skyvan in a similar operation to Zimex. Any chances do you guys think? JAR licence. TR on otter/1900 or nothing??

Alfredo tp
5th Jan 2011, 11:19
At Zimex, they only accept JAA, or do they accept FAA as well? (With 2300+hrs, wide body TR, and more gadgets on the license)

Btw, happy new year! :-)

maxrated
7th Jan 2011, 14:29
They will accept ICAO licences for some of their projects.

PTWheel
14th Mar 2011, 15:45
No, they will not!!
All pilots needs a JAR Licence (CPL A, ATPL Theorie Credit), issued by a memberstate.
With the beginning of 2012 the EASA will take over and than they all will need a EASA Licence.
No other Licence will be considered.
Thats to my knowledge.
Stay tuned
PT

maxrated
15th Mar 2011, 12:30
PTWheel,

No, they will not!!

'!!' ?

I guess I must be flying for the past 2 years for another company also called Zimex based out of Zurich then , which does accept ICAO/FAA licences??

To any aspirant Zimexers out there,

Submit your ICAO cv's online anyway, ignore the part about JAR licences only.

They do seem to want pilots with type ratings and considerable experience on type at that.

I got into the company with 3000 hours on type and I had the least on type experience out of all the guys on my intake.

I would therefore not advise buying a type rating in the hope of getting in, most of the clients have high time on type insurance requirements, thats why.

I understand that the company was looking for PC 6 drivers a while ago, although they were looking for JAR licences only at that stage, I imagine that management could get creative if they were desperate enough i.r.o. ICAO licence'd pilots.

Good luck, its an AWESOME company if you can get in. ;)

drag king
5th Nov 2011, 17:25
Good luck, its an AWESOME company if you can get in.

Time to revamp this tread as the AWESOME co. is hiring again on the Beechs', according to latestpilotjobs.com. Can anyone shed some light on:

-life for the Beech-boys?
-locations, basing, rotation, etc, etc?
-progression R to LHS?
-typical flying wherever you might end up?
-economical...ehm..."treatment" for both seats?

Regards

DK ;)

bigoil
5th Nov 2011, 17:44
all B1900s are in Hassie Messaoud Algeria at present. The 1 from Mauriatnia has been re located there awaiting contract re newals
5 weeks on and 5 off is norman but operational requirements come to play, eg extensions of days in the field

there are a few 7T co pilots who cannot fly the HB reg,s so new hires will be on the HB machines I'd guess.

big breww ha ha with the HB and 7T registration s, crew have to be checked out on both and some fly one and not the other and vice versa, makes for a operational nightmare

one thing about Zimex, in their 40 plus yrs the pay to crew has never been missed.

maxrated
5th Nov 2011, 21:25
Drag King.

I beleive the most recent requirement is for their Angolan Project.

-life for the Beech-boys?

Good accom, pool, beach house, aircon rooms, internet, transport provided, BBQ facilities sat tv. Pay for own food. Good social atmosphere amongst the crew and engineers.

-locations, basing, rotation, etc, etc?

Luanda, 6 weeks on 6 off.

-progression R to LHS?

Only looking for high time direct entry captains. 4000 hrs plus, prefer 1000hrs plus command on type.

-typical flying wherever you might end up?

local/domestic ops mostly. a few long long days now and then JAR OPS FDP rules not applicable. Flying local reg aircraft on local licence validations.

-economical...ehm..."treatment" for both seats?

Market related but very nice.;)

drag king
6th Nov 2011, 17:09
Many thanks maxrated, that helps!

I was aware of them having a B200 also in their garage, is it gone by now? No B300/1900-rating for me but fairly good experience on the 200s and curious about what this outfit might have to offer but also looking for an upgrade either to LHS or into a bigger iron. The ads were for both seats and both fleets, though.

Any other tip you people can share, especially if you currently are in Zimex, is very welcome. Either here or PM...

Have a nice eve

DK :)

bigoil
6th Nov 2011, 19:18
Does it say on the Zimex site that they are hiring for the Angola project?

I thought that was AMS in Luanda and even though the 2 companies share a lot I'm not sure filling out a Zimex application would get you to Angola. There is no beach house, traffic is the big hassle in Luanda, otherwise paradice.

The 200 is gone from Zimex but the flying is picking up on the 1900s and they are short of crew.

CGaviator
7th Nov 2011, 10:30
Hi

I have 800 Hours TT rated on Pilatus PC-6 with only 50 hours on type.
Zimex requirements they ask 1000 TT but I know some few guys that went with 800 and 900 do I have any chance applying or just a waste of time?

maxrated
7th Nov 2011, 12:09
CGaviator,

Its worth submitting the online application, the clients have been known to bend the experience requirements under certain conditions.

I'm not sure filling out a Zimex application would get you to Angola

Yes it will/can.

There is no beach house,

There is now. On the island, a grueling 5 minute amble from a nice swimming beach. Sea views from the balcony as well.

traffic is the big hassle in Luanda

Crew are driven by chauffers so no problem there either.

:hmm:

FlyTCI
7th Nov 2011, 12:24
Interesting to see, as a former Zimex desert rat, that they mention their new hangar in Hassi will fit a Dash 8-Q400.

All in all a respectable company who normally tries to do things the "right way", but it being a challenging operation can make that a bit difficult. I would dare to say that this is probably one of, if not the, best employer a twotter or 1900 driver will find.

prakashnepal
21st Jan 2013, 04:34
hey guys can any one who is working in zimex can send their e mail address to me ..i have 1200 tt and 1000 hours on dhc-6..willing to work for zimex ..can any one plz help me

screwballburling
25th Jan 2013, 16:11
They are possibly looking for pilots to ba based in Algers.