PDA

View Full Version : Commercial - Multi or Single?

tingtang
15th Sep 2008, 17:19
Hi all

I'm soon starting the flying part of the conversion of an FAA CPL(M/E + IFR) to a JAA fATPL (in the UK). One problem, I can't decide on whether to do the CPL in a multi or a single.

I have a UK PPL (S/E) so am experienced in UK flying but now have approx 40hrs M/E behind me.

Does anyone have any advice on which route I should take? Also, can you combine the M/E rating with the cpl flight test?

Thanks.

mongeyspangle
15th Sep 2008, 17:36
Hi tingtang, you seem to have reasonable experience already on M/E piston A/C. When I did my CPL I figured that a multi CPL was the way to go, to help gain extra experience for the I/R later.This probably ended up costing me extra money than I had planned for because for your CPL flight test you need reasonable flying conditions (vis etc) and I didn't get suitable flying conditions around the time I was ready for test (extra hours in twin =££££)

having said that , it did make the I/R easier, so money well spent in my case

cheers M

tingtang
16th Sep 2008, 07:42
Hi M

It's good to hear that the extra M/E time helped for the IR.

I suppose also that using a M/E aircraft I wont have to do PFL's up to CPL standard. Any other major differences, apart from asymetric flight?

Also, is the M/E class rating rating combined with the CPL test?

Cheers.

G SXTY
17th Sep 2008, 11:52
Yes, the M/E rating is combined with the CPL skills test. As you correctly point out, the main difference with doing it in a multi is that you'll have to deal with asymmetric flight instead of PFLs. Anecdotal evience from instructors I've met suggests that more people trip up on PFLs than asymmetric flight, so in that respect the skills test may be slightly easier in a multi. If you already have 40hrs M/E then you should have no problems coping with asymmetry.

I did my CPL in a Duchess, and it made for a much easier transition to the IR. The IR is incredibly hard work, and much of it will be completely new (e.g. airways, holds, instrument approaches). You will do yourself a big favour if you're already familiar with flying the aircraft to CPL test standard, as it's one less thing for your brain to have to deal with.

tingtang
17th Sep 2008, 13:37
Thanks G SXTY, but when you say "much of the IR will be completely new (e.g. airways, holds, instrument approaches)", did you not see I have an FAA IFR rating?

I know things are quite different in FAA land, but they still use airways, holds and instrument approaches. If you just missed that bit from my post then I apologise. I know the conversion will be hard work but hopefully I learnt something in the US!

Thanks.

G SXTY
17th Sep 2008, 15:25
Sorry, I missed that. Good job I've got an eye test next month . . .

I'm not sure how heavily NDBs feature in the FAA IR, but I'd guess a lot less than in the UK. You'll learn to love that wobbly needle. The other big difference is the RT, but your FAA experience will certainly give you a big head start.

tingtang
17th Sep 2008, 16:21
NDB'a are something I will need to work on!

Actually whilst I'm at it, has anyone recently done a full conversion and how many hours did you take?

I know there are no minimum hours for the CPL and 15hrs for the IFR. I'm budgeting on around 40hrs total flying (15hrs CPL, 25hrs IFR) for training then say 6hrs for flight tests...