PDA

View Full Version : Rick Wright gone to the great gig in the sky

Captain Speedbird
15th Sep 2008, 16:40
RIP Rick, and thanks for all the great music. :(

DB6
15th Sep 2008, 16:54
Just heard the news on Planet Rock. Then they played The Great Gig In The Sky. Christ, talk about poignant! Very powerful.
Cheers Rick.

Ozzy
15th Sep 2008, 16:54
Damn. RIP Rick, sorry to read the news of your loss to cancer.

Ozzy

Parapunter
15th Sep 2008, 17:06
That bums me out. Never knew even the guy was ill.

Old Grey
15th Sep 2008, 18:21
A damn shame. :(

IB4138
15th Sep 2008, 18:26
Thanks for the music and happy memories Richard. :ok:

The Division Bell has sounded.

ford cortina
15th Sep 2008, 19:11
RIP Rick, one of the greats. Thanks

treadigraph
15th Sep 2008, 20:08
The faint hope that the band might one day play together on stage again and record some more is finally extinguished.

Wish you were still here...

Thank you Richard.

BombayDuck
15th Sep 2008, 20:17
Ah crap.

Shine on.....

chiglet
15th Sep 2008, 22:27
Sorry, but just who is or was the said Rick Wright?
Can't be arsed to goggle.
watp,iktch

ArthurR
15th Sep 2008, 22:37
This was a shock, I was determined to go to their next concert no matter where....hope he's on the dark side of the moon

Capt.KAOS
15th Sep 2008, 22:38
Bugger, great keyboard player and driving force behind the Floyd, especially on the early Echoes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sein6WnbY0)...

Captain Speedbird
15th Sep 2008, 22:56
Kaos, if you haven't already, watch part 2 of Gilmours dvd 'Remember that night' - Including Echoes played by Gilmour and Wright. That reawakening bit left me with tears in my eyes for days gone by. Uttterly brilliant still.

Strelnikov
15th Sep 2008, 23:04
65 is far too young.

I'm a bit lost for words.

Bugger.

YouTube - pink floyd paint box (http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=7HkQvhoymTc)

IB4138
15th Sep 2008, 23:17
chiglet

Go do yourself some damage, please, you moron!

If you don`t know who Richard Wright is, donīt post.

Totally unnecessary!

RAPA Pilot
16th Sep 2008, 00:48
"The rain fell strong
Down on all the roofs of uncertainty
I thought of you
And all the years of sadness fell away from me".

Without doubt the greatest band..ever!!!

"Then you find ten years have got behind you
No-one told you when to run
You missed the starting gun
So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking
It races around and comes up behind you again
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older
Shorter of breath
And one day closer to death"

You WILL live on Rick..........RIP

Col

criticalmass
16th Sep 2008, 13:09
With "Dark Side Of The Moon" The Floyd became the Prime Meridian of pop music in the 70s, the reference-point from which other groups navigated their course in those vast, uncharted seas, a point they re-affirmed with "Wish You Were Here".

Rick's ability to perfectly phrase his keyboard technique, play with great timing and superb taste, and to leave enough "empty space" so the listener had the great privilege of using his own intelligence to imagine what might be played but was deliberately left out precisely for that purpose, marks him as one of the most significant keyboard players of the 20th and 21st centuries.

We who appreciate and love their music are deeply saddened and diminished by the loss of this amazing, humble and hugely personable musician.

RIP Rick, you have the love, admiration and appreciation of millions to accompany you.

angels
16th Sep 2008, 14:13
Indeed, a sad loss to music. Am old enough and fortunate enough to have seen the Floyd on several occasions, including with the late, great Syd Barrett at Zandvoort (I think).

Shine on you crazy diamonds.

Capt.KAOS
16th Sep 2008, 15:14
Kaos, if you haven't already, watch part 2 of Gilmours dvd 'Remember that night' - Including Echoes played by Gilmour and Wright. That reawakening bit left me with tears in my eyes for days gone by. Uttterly brilliant still.Tnx Speedbird, didn't know about this DVD and looked it up in youtube and yes it's still awesome....

Buuuuuttttt... I hope you don't mind me saying, IMHO it does miss the unique mystical sound of the Pompei albums. Maybe it's the ghostly atmospheric textures of his original Leslie piano and Farfisa organ or maybe it's the blurred memories I have listening to Echoes in the light of Lava Lamps and other mind expanding products back in the early 70's... ;)

Captain Speedbird
16th Sep 2008, 15:33
In that case look for the bootleg 'Zabriskie Point session' as along with 'More', this finds Rick at his noodly spacy best, and it may be new to you. Its available in the usual places.. :ok:

Saab Dastard
16th Sep 2008, 15:51
Very sad news.

No chance now of Floyd playing together again, but the music lives on.

SD

Big fan since 1973

shedhead
18th Sep 2008, 12:27
1974 Trentham gardens in Stoke. all of Dark side of the moon and Echoes for an encore not a bad experience for the first gig I ever attended.sad that the chance to see them all again has now gone.

DILLIGAFF
18th Sep 2008, 13:57
RIP Rick, thanks for all the great music. Saw Floyd live a couple of times, absolutely amazing. Last time was at Earls Court in 92 (I think). Was hoping they would get together again so I could take my 17 year old son to see them, he was impressed by the Live8 performance. But alas it is not to be. Shine on you crazy diamond.
D

ProM
18th Sep 2008, 14:08
Played "Shine On..." this morning in the car. That haunting first few minutes of keyboards and then the guitars starting up. Pure raw emotion set to music

Buster Hyman
22nd Sep 2008, 11:03
:( bugger :(

treadigraph
14th Oct 2008, 19:58
Just came across this - it's available to play until Saturday 18/10/08.

BBC - Radio 2 - Remember A Day ... Richard Wright In His Own Words (http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/musicclub/doc_richardwright.shtml)