PDA

View Full Version : Please help me

Natterjack
6th Jun 2001, 21:07
I am most perplexed as to how I use e-mail diversion and allow people to e-mail me direct at, for example, and not my real address, [email protected]. Also, I don't know how I alter my address (using hotmail) so it is '[email protected]' and not my hotmail address.

The following is what uk2.net (my domain provider) stated with reference to e-mail diversion:

---

NEWS ONLINE WIZARD

EMAILDIVERSION tm

What is EmailDiversion
How do I configure my email
I cannot send email
I cannot receive email
Can I have multiple email addresses
How to send emails to mobile phones

What is EmailDiversion tm

After you have registered your domain with us you can use the domain to send and receive emails.

Example: your domain is called yourdomain.co.uk

Email addresses for this domain will have an @ sign in between the name and the domain. Like [email protected]

With our unlimited EmailDiversion everything that arrives for your domain like [email protected] [email protected] etc. will be delivered to a mailbox of your choice.

Your dial-in provider will normally provide such a mailbox (also called POP3) or you can use Hotmail or our free Online mailbox which you can find here

You can either use a web based email service like the one UK2.NET is offering called mail.uk2.net (better than Hotmail) or you can use your already installed Microsoft Outlook / Netscape Messenger email programs.

If you want to send emails that appear to come from our example [email protected] then you will need to change the mail settings in your email program. The most popular email programs are Outlook Express and Netscape Messenger. Just enter a new name like [email protected]

Click here for Outlook Express / Outlook 2000
Click here for Outlook 97/98 support
Click here for Netscape Messenger

I cannot send email

If you see this error message

Remote host said: 550 <[email protected]>
Use your dialin providers SMTP server

you need to change the settings in your email program. The above 550 error message has been generated by a UK2.NET server. For security reasons we cannot allow relaying (our SMTP server being used for emailing) unless you are using UK2.NET as your dial-up provider.

Your current dial-up provider has set you up with either Outlook Express or Netscape Messenger you will need to change our SMTP server setting to their SMTP server and not mail.uk2.net.

The change of settings is fairly straightforward. Every browser (Internet Explorer/Netscape and more) has an email client. Internet Explorers email client is called Outlook Express. Netscape's email client is Messenger. You can either use their help pages to guide you through this process or click on how do I configure my email on our help page below.

Let's assume you have chosen Freeserve as your dial-up provider. Start Communicator and click

Netscape Communicator

Edit - Preferences - Mail & Newsgroup - Mail Server
Enter smtp.freeserve.net as the Outgoing Mail (SMTP)

Outlook Express

Tools - Accounts - Mail - Select Account - Servers
Enter smtp.freeserve.net in Outgoing mail (SMTP)

If you still have problems after this, call your Dial-Up provider and ask for help to your email program.

I cannot receive email

To receive mail, you will have to tell our server which mailbox to send it to. A mailbox is an email address that stores your mail and allows you to either download them or read them. There are 2 methods of getting email. Web based or Email program.

Email is always stored in a POP3 mailbox. You can then either read it online using a Web based system like mail.uk2.net (like Hotmail just better). To get a free POP3 account click here then you can read it from anywhere in the world and also download into your email program.

Let's assume your mailbox is called: [email protected]

You then divert the email into this account, by logging into http://uk2.net using your domain name and your chosen domain password. Click EmailDiversion and enter [email protected] in EmailDiversion address and click update. Now all email that arrives to your domain will be stored in a POP3 mailbox here at UK2.NET.

To use UK2.NET's free mail.uk2.net service with your own email program look at these examples.

Netscape Communicator

Edit - Preferences - Mail & Newsgroup - Mail Server
Enter mail.uk2.net as the Incoming mail server and enter mymail without @uk2.net in the Mail server user name.

Outlook Express

Tools - Accounts - Mail - Select Account - Servers
Enter mail.uk2.net in Incoming mail (POP3) and mymail without @uk2.net in Account name. Also enter your password for your mailbox here.

To divert your email to a email mailbox with Hotmail, Freeserve, AOL, Demon, BT etc. etc. just enter your existing email address with them in the EmailDiversion field and click update.

---

This really doesn't help me do what I want to do. Please, can you explain in SIMPLE steps how I would go about allowing people to e-mail me using say [email protected] and replying with that address (using my hotmail account, but not my hotmail address).

johntrav69
7th Jun 2001, 03:56
try browsing www.uk2.net (http://www.uk2.net) and in the lefthand column you can login with your domain name and password. I am not a member but after this next page loads, you should see something along the lines of "Email aliases" or "Email forwarding" or "edit email forwarding" etc. If you select this, you should be able to enter an email address consisting of [email protected] (substituting your values in the above) or whatever and then entering where you wish it to be forwarded to e.g. [email protected]. This should allow you to make more than one name and forward to different email addresses. For instance, I have a domain called for instance johntrav.com and if you send mail to [email protected] it goes to the server hosting my domain which will forward it to my usual email address which in this case could be [email protected]. Now my brother cant keep a job so he keeps moving email addresses at work so I give him [email protected] and I can forward this to whichever company he is working for at the time. This can then apply to all members of my family and they can each have an email address ending in @johntrav.com, then if they move internet providers or main email addresses I can change as necessary so noone is ever the wiser. So you see you dont actually change your normal email address, you just make one up that you would like obviously ending in @MYDOMAIN.com and then login and tell the system where to send the mail it receives. When this is done if you are using Outlook express, look under Tool>Account>select your pop3 account if you are using one and edit the properties. Under email address and reply address enter [email protected] substituting your values for the above and then anyone replying to your emails will automatically send them to your new domain email address and if they add you to their address book, the same will happen. Good Luck and email me at [email protected] if you need any more help.

Natterjack
7th Jun 2001, 13:53
Excellent reply, John.

However, is it possible to actually replace my e-mail address (my Hotmail address) with my new address and allow people to add this address to their contact list? I know this is possible if using Outlook Express but I won't be, and so was wondering if it's possible if using Hotmail. Perhaps one simply changes the "reply to" address and types in the new address?

[This message has been edited by Natterjack (edited 07 June 2001).]

johntrav69
8th Jun 2001, 03:40
In hotmail go to preferences and select reply to and enter the new email address you have constructed. When people then hit reply to after you have sent an email it will go to the domain where it will be forwarded to your hotmail or whatever address you have selected. As for adding to the address book, try sending one to another of your email addresses (pref outlook express) and right click the message and select add sender. If you then look in the address book and right click and select properties, you should see the email address it thinks it has come from - hopefully the new one. I cant test this so you wil have to just give it a go. Good Luck.
John