PDA

View Full Version : Connection Problems

matspart3
6th Jun 2001, 00:43
When I click on the Off-Peak Freeserve or Outlook Express icons on my desktop they open normally but the 'Connection' window doesn't appear. Instead I get a window saying

Connection Manager

The service profile is damaged. Re-install the service profile

What? How?

I can still connect through Dial-up Networking but I'd like my old icons back and working properly! This all started after my son set up a new email account through the Eidos website which, I think, set itself up as some sort of default. Freeserves FAQ's weren't particularly helpful and you lot are cheaper that their 50p per minute phone support!
Any ideas?

tony draper
6th Jun 2001, 01:35
Some of these ISP cd's are a pain in the arse,they never have a uninstal utility on them.
I used freeserve then btclick free, I just could not get rid of them, went into registry
and cleared them out of there but even that didn't get shot of bits of them, eventually reformated my hard disk.

Tinstaafl
6th Jun 2001, 19:07
I get around install CD screwing up my setup by not using its install 'feature'.

Somewhere on the CD will be a script that steps the PC through the setup. It will have the phone numbers, URLs etc etc that are needed to sign up. It will have a .INF or .SCR suffix, from memory.

Enter just those details manually & you can avoid the b@stards tromping all over your settings.

Mat, have a look through the CD for setup files. Open them in Notepad & you might get a better idea of what it did to what. Easier to fix if you know what got corrupted in the 1st place...

[This message has been edited by Tinstaafl (edited 06 June 2001).]