PDA

View Full Version : William to transfer to RAF

StopStart
15th Sep 2008, 10:29
News on the BBC saying HRH is going to transfer to the RAF "full time" - apparently as a SARboy....

Looks like we can have another ten page thread rambling on about his wings....:rolleyes:

XV277
15th Sep 2008, 10:31
OK, I timed that as 8 minutes from the announcement on 5Live until it appeared on PPrune!!

I do recall back in the day when he was a youngster it was reported that he really wanted to be a pilot.

StopStart
15th Sep 2008, 10:34
5Live? Dear god man....

Still, 2 minutes to first reply from person checking/commenting on how long it took a news story to get on Pprune. Not sure which is worse...

XV277
15th Sep 2008, 10:45
It's a quiet day.........:ok:

Lurking123
15th Sep 2008, 10:52
I'm a little out of touch (was probably never 'in touch':hmm:) but I thought we had sold the SAR force along with the family silver?

Anyway, good news for the RAF. :ok:

Wycombe
15th Sep 2008, 11:54
...neat solution, as will keep him in the UK out of harms way I assume, whilst fulfilling a worthwhile and challenging operational role that could well put him in the public eye.

No reason why he shouldn't go down South though!!??

Mr Point
15th Sep 2008, 11:56
It sounds as though he will be doing the full rotary course a Shawbury. The BBC has spoken about 18 months from starting training to getting to a SAR flight. Just in time for a tour before the introduction of SARH.

I think it's fair enough if he completes Shawbury, SARTU and the OCU. What's the betting he isn't posted to Wattisham!! :}

RODF3
15th Sep 2008, 12:01
Its good to see him wanting to do his bit. But I hope the fact that he has decided he wants SAR does not prevent someone who has been doing the 'real' operational work (chinnys, pumas, merlins) from getting a respite tour on SAR.

FlapJackMuncher
15th Sep 2008, 12:29
3 years with 84 Sqn would keep him out of the tabloids.

BEagle
15th Sep 2008, 12:56
Only problem is that any number of moist slappers will now try to find out where the lad is based, then throw themselves off mountains, or into the sea on a lilo....

"One day, my Prince will come.....

...and then make me do likewise!", they will hope!

Jackonicko
15th Sep 2008, 13:02
It's a welcome development in RAF recruiting policy. The fact that a youngster can now nominate his chosen role before training means that the RAF will now be able to attract the best of the peaceniks, wheezy kids, etc. who may have moral or medical difficulties with becoming glass chewing warrior types.....

This is forward-looking stuff. The keen airline wannabe will be able to sign up for a short service commission on the Shiny fleet, while those with a bent for instructing will be able to decide at OASC that they'll be a creamie on whatever type they choose.

My only concern is to how the Air Force will fulfill the less popular slots. Who will be nominating themselves for the Falklands, etc.?

I'm also a bit concerned as to why it will take the bloke 18 months to get to a SAR flight. He has wings, after all, and had reached a sufficiently advanced stage to be doing legitimate land away training sorties in the Chinook. Surely conversion to the Sea King doesn't take that long?

What's that you say? But I've never heard of 'honorary wings' and that's NOT what they said when he was awarded them......

Sagey
15th Sep 2008, 13:19
How does one get onto this fast track wings course - 4 years down to 4 months seems a good deal.

I am not military and never have been, but do know a few that have made it and a few that haven't. I am assuming that HRH will have to meet the same standards as everyone else, in the same number of attempts and timeframe as everyone else or will be given the proverbial axe. Mind you, it isn't like people's lives are at stake or anything...............

I have respect for the Royal Family and what they do, but sometimes such announcements do make you wonder :rolleyes:

ORAC
15th Sep 2008, 14:03
Torygraph: Prince William to become pilot in RAF search and rescue service

Prince William is to become a full-time pilot with the RAF's Search and Rescue Force.

The surprise announcement from Clarence House ends the speculation that Prince William would leave the military next year to become a full-time working Royal.

In his new role, which requires an 18-month training period, he will fly Sea King helicopters. He will be attached to the air search and rescue team for a minimum 30 month period which means he will be at least 31 before he will even consider returning to civilian life.

The young prince first experienced the work of the Search and Rescue Force in December 2005 when he spent two weeks on work experience at RAF Valley in Wales. When he has completed his training he will be required to take part in hazardous rescue operations winching people to safety from cliffs, boats and open water.

Prince William will start his training with the rank of Flying Officer having been commissioned into the RAF in January 2008. He will transfer his service from the Army, in which he currently serves as Lieutenant in the Blues and Royals, to the RAF. He is the first member of the Royal Family to work for the RAF Search and Rescue force.

Prince William, who loves flying, had been frustrated that he could not spend time in Afghanistan, like Prince Harry, because he is a future King.

In a statement, Prince William said: "It has been a real privilege to have spent the past year understanding and experiencing all aspects of the British Armed Forces. I now want to build on the experience and training I have received to serve operationally - especially because, for good reasons, I was not able to deploy to Afghanistan this year with D Squadron of the Household Cavalry Regiment."

"The time I spent with the RAF earlier this year made me realise how much I love flying. Joining Search and Rescue is a perfect opportunity for me to serve in the Forces operationally, while contributing to a vital part of the country's emergency services."

The future King, an officer in the Household Cavalry, has spent much of the last 12 months on attachment with the RAF and the Royal Navy.

In the next few weeks he will become the first member of the Royal family to spend time with the elite SAS. He will also spend time with the Special Boat Squadron, the sister regiment of the SAS, and the Special Reconnaissance Regiment. He will spend up to six weeks with the Special Services as part of his training across all branches of the military in preparation for when, as king, he will be the head of the Armed Forces.

Prince William learnt to fly this year and he was presented with his wings by the Prince of Wales. The Duke of York flew helicopters in the Royal Navy.

leopold bloom
15th Sep 2008, 15:01
Will he have to sign for Royal Flights for his own sorties?:confused:

airborne_artist
15th Sep 2008, 15:03
What about the Protection guys - will they have a seat in the back of the cab and get paid overtime for sitting in the crewroom :confused:

ZH875
15th Sep 2008, 15:06
I take it the Chinook was too big for Kate's back garden. :O

sarmonkey
15th Sep 2008, 16:19
I hear nothing's too big for her back garden....

Prat At The Back
15th Sep 2008, 16:20
I wonder when he gets disillusioned and he PVR's............ , any ROS?, how long 'til he reaches escape velocity? Gets short notice posting?

davejb
15th Sep 2008, 16:28
If the guy makes the grade okay and goes on to do the job, then well done to him - and well done to the RAF for recognising the possible PR value in all this. Cut him a little slack, it's nice that he actually wants to do something sensible...

Pray to heaven that the 'popping down the girlfriend's place' type of faux pas is a thing of the past, of course.

Personally I think he should have become a pilot on the Queen's flight - bodyguard issues then recede (they'd already be there for the pax) and he could avoid the need for duty visits to gran etc by simply arranging to fly her whenever it's been a while since they last had a chin wag.

Dave

dbee
15th Sep 2008, 16:44
I hear that it is only an 18 month stint, not even a whole tour! dbee

PingDit
15th Sep 2008, 17:04
Hang on a minute, he's a nice enough guy but shouldn't he now do the job properly and be accepted by OASC first?
:E

Jackonicko
15th Sep 2008, 17:16
Unless he's going to be a supernumerary bod on one of the flights, some keen young chap who has passed OASC and IOT will find himself chopped when he otherwise wouldn't have been.

Still, I'll bet one of the SAR flights will get a lot more eng man power.

bowly
15th Sep 2008, 18:30
Sarmonkey,

I haven't laughed out load like that for a while. Many thanks!

Rigga
15th Sep 2008, 19:04
Thank God! - now the RAF News will have a good topical story!
I might even look forward to it! - well, perhaps not.

At least he's been found somewhere to get taught how to fly (free) and not go to anywhere 'iffy' or too far from a bacon butty (or Watey)- and with the possibility of heroic medals too.

Perfect.

Green Bottle 2
15th Sep 2008, 19:53
At the end of the day this will be a good thing for the RAF. Yes the trg system will fit around his requirements and yes that will be a pain for some people. However, with all of the influence he has and will have in the future, having our future King in the RAF, is going to be a very positive thing for the RAF.

It's happening, so moaning about it and sniping achieves nothing other than to give journos something to misquote.

GB2

taxydual
15th Sep 2008, 20:04
and not go to anywhere 'iffy'

Have you done a SAR tour?

Flogging around mountains or the 'oggin when it's a bit 'blowy', to me, is definitely 'iffy'.

Cut the guy some slack.

Good luck to the lad.

High_lander
15th Sep 2008, 20:07
Hmmm, wonder if Andrew will be happy?

I was told a tale about a certain Royal Lynx pilot and a Mayday :E:E

Rigga
15th Sep 2008, 21:46
Taxydual,
No. I've haven't 'done' SAR - but I've done enough 'chugging about mountains' to know that SAR boys get their chances for possible heroic medals.

Like I said...Perfect.

Union Jack
15th Sep 2008, 22:07
Hang on a minute, he's a nice enough guy but shouldn't he now do the job properly and be accepted by OASC first?

Probably better not - they might recommend him as a loadie!:)

Jack

PS By doing the job properly, I suspect that he will earn a great deal more respect by qualifying fully for his rotary wings ....

OmegaV6
15th Sep 2008, 22:23
Poor bloke can't win with half you lot can he ....

If he doesn't do anything he's a lazy w*****r who shouldn't wear the uniform

If he tries to do something he's "stealing someone else's place"

The guy is an intelligent, capable bloke, who has more pressure applied to achieve in a very short time than most other folks.... why not wait and see if he, like a close relative, can actually fly helicopters well, and do the job better than some.

If you don't know the relative I refer to .. do some research on the Falklands War and a certain chopper pilot.

FFP
15th Sep 2008, 22:25
Unless he's going to be a supernumerary bod on one of the flights, some keen young chap who has passed OASC and IOT will find himself chopped when he otherwise wouldn't have been

Why's that then ?

PingDit
16th Sep 2008, 01:53
Hang on just another cotton-pickin' minute....

Union Jack - Ah! Someone who sees my point!

We're chucking a guy who likes flying into the seat without checking via OASC if he's (and was initially?) competent. Who's in the wrong if something 'unfortunate' happens in the future. Don't get me wrong; I really like the guy and wish him every success in what I honestly believe he seriously wants to do. However, for his own 'street cred.'......

Oldandgrey
16th Sep 2008, 06:37
Who is to say that even though he has not been through OASC he wont be a capable pilot? There must be people that have failed at OASC and have gone on be very capable pilots in the civi world? Also some of those that have succeeded and gone through the system and turned out to be shockingly bad! I’m sure that some rear crew would hold testament to that! :}
Give the guy a break, he could just say bugger it I’m not gonna bother! Let’s wait and see what happens, he might just surprise us!:E

WASALOADIE
16th Sep 2008, 08:05
He probably wants a free 3 year holiday in Cyprus.

Good luck to him, let him enjoy himself while he can. Soon enough he will be enveloped by nothing but royal duties.

TMJ
16th Sep 2008, 09:04
Personally I think he should have become a pilot on the Queen's flight - bodyguard issues then recede (they'd already be there for the pax) and he could avoid the need for duty visits to gran etc by simply arranging to fly her whenever it's been a while since they last had a chin wag.

Dave

You do realisethe Queen's Flt has become 32 (The Royal) Sqn and that they are doing less and less VIP stuff and more in-thetre comms work?

Ministry of Defence | Defence News | History and Honour | EXCLUSIVE: Royal Squadron ready for role change - Part One (http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/HistoryAndHonour/ExclusiveRoyalSquadronReadyForRoleChangePartOne.htm)

(That said, I'm still going to claim it was the Queen's personal jet that ferried me around the Gulf that time... 8-) )

ZH875
16th Sep 2008, 09:21
Soon enough he will be enveloped by nothing but royal duties.

And getting paid well for them, as well as living the life of Riley.

Another Royal who cannot handle life in the fighting forces, so takes the easy RAF option. Harry is the only one who actually wants a fight......Mmmmm.....

Mr Point
16th Sep 2008, 09:24
Ultimately he is now doing the proper series of courses to become an RAF pilot. Assuming he is good enough to get as far as one of the SAR flights and becomes CR then great.

This is not going to result in another pilot being chopped, and is very good news for both the RAF and the SAR Force. From what I've seen of him he wants to get stuck in - so if he's good enough then let him!

Sven Sixtoo
16th Sep 2008, 09:33
As regards OASC

Prince William has completed a formal (if somewhat abbreviated) course of flying training with the Royal Air Force. So the RAF has had a good opportunity to assess his flying potential in the most effective way (we don't do this for everyone 'cos it costs too much). I rather suspect that if he wasn't up to it, a Very Senior Officer would have had a quiet word with somebody and gently steered the Prince in another direction, for the good of himself and the Service.

And PLEASE don't suggest that OASC are going to have the arrogance to fail the future King on Officer Qualities.

Sven

Ali Barber
16th Sep 2008, 09:38
Why all this grief about OASC? He graduated from Sandhurst and has done enough flying to show that he has some aptitude. Admittedly, he probably didn't start out by visiting some recruiting office, but Rank has it's privileges. He's obviously not allowed to go somewhere with a high risk of being shot at, but he will be in a position where his life will be on the line, more so than the average civilian (or Royal!). Good for him.

Tourist
16th Sep 2008, 09:40
ZH875
You really are the epitomy of all that is bad about the British public.

I bet you wouldn't like to swap places with William, and you are just a bitter tw@t.

He's welcome to the money in exchange for his "life of riley". Never being able to have normal relationship, wake up covered in vomit, visit a titty bar, pull three nurses, have a fight in a bar, make real friends without always worrying about finding someone has spilled the beans to the Sun.

"Another Royal who cannot handle life in the fighting forces, so takes the easy RAF option. Harry is the only one who actually wants a fight......Mmmmm..... "

And as for that quote,
Tosser!

You saw how much trouble Harry had in getting near a sandy place, and he is knowhere near the throne. William had no chance whatsoever, and I think SAR is a bloody good choice in his position.

Op_Twenty
16th Sep 2008, 09:44
I agree with the above...

ZH875
16th Sep 2008, 09:54
Just remember, my money part funds his life of Riley, and like many others in this country, I object, as I can see no point in having any form of Monarchy, when all rules and dictats come from Brussells, the Monarchy has absolutely no power so has no reason to exist.

Tourists will still come to this country to see where the 'Royal' family lived, even if they no longer live there, to see the Crown Jewels etc etc.

Proof of the waste of time giving Military jobs to the Royals, is the time William has had away from his job in the Army, he has been with the RAF and Navy for eight months, so just exactly was his job in the Army?.

Time for a change.

I expect a slating over this from the Military Officers over this, as you all have your Commisioning Scroll, signed by the Queen, but I do wonder how close a National referendum would be.

16th Sep 2008, 10:56
Jackonicko - I hope your posts on this thread aren't indicative of the quality of your journalism.

Why should any SAR flight get more eng manpower?

Why should anyone be chopped just because William is coming to SAR?

He is a good chap who will, I am sure, make the grade as a SAR pilot and he won't be given an easy ride because we can't afford to have non-capable crew on SAROPs. When he makes it to the front line (and yes the OCU really is 9 months long on top of the SARTU course) it will be as a result of application and ability, not birth and position.

Tigwas
16th Sep 2008, 11:09
Is he not a little young to be given his pipe and slippers :rolleyes:

althenick
16th Sep 2008, 11:39
Just remember, my money part funds his life of Riley, and like many others in this country, I object, as I can see no point in having any form of Monarchy, when all rules and dictats come from Brussells, the Monarchy has absolutely no power so has no reason to exist

Ah yes the typical Pinko response! :ugh:

So we replace the A-political Royal Family with what? - Presadent! Brilliant - we have just successfully lost (despite what you say) a big tourist attraction and at the same time managing to promote some wanna-be lying b@stard of a politician to head of the country! wonderfull. Is it not bad enough that we have a European, National, Devolved, and local governments all milking our hard earned.

How much do you think El Presidente would cost? :*

Sorry for the deviation .

MadsDad
16th Sep 2008, 11:43
And how long before some Dingbat calls an emergency just so they can be rescued by a Prince.

(O.K. in a big yellow wokka rather than on a White charger, but the basic principal is the same)

Roland Pulfrew
16th Sep 2008, 11:45
Just remember, my money part funds his life of Riley

Actually, no it doesn't. The Crown estate pays more money to the Exchequer than it receives. Therefore the Crown is actually subsidising the rest of the country. Just because the Civil List is paid from the Treasury everyone assumes that they all contribute to the upkeep of the Royals. Lies and statistics (with a bit of spin) anyone?

I do wonder how close a National referendum would be.

My guess would be about 80:20 in favour of keeping the Monarchy, so not very close at all. :rolleyes:

And for all those harping on about not doing the full selection procedure just remember he is a commissioned officer, having completed Sandhurst on his own merit, is therefore eligible to tranfer to either the RAF or RN, subject to Service need, and as he has obviously shown some aptitude towards flying having completed the training he already has, he theoretically has an automatic bye in the aptitude arena. Just remember, it wasn't that long ago that anyone who successfully completed the EFT syllabus on their UAS also got an automatic "pass" on the aptitude tests even though they would still have to sit them.

As PW is a pretty accomplished horseman and polo player one might argue that is all he needs - wasn't that one of the prerequisites for becoming a pilot in the RFC? :E

airborne_artist
16th Sep 2008, 11:52
William receives an allowance from the PoW, whose income comes from his estates, principally the Duchy of Cornwall, so William does not cost the taxpayer as such, though the taxpayer a) pays his military salary and b) pays for the Royal Protection team that guard him.

bigjim_SAR_Nut
16th Sep 2008, 11:53
Personally, I think he's getting quite a bit of stick here (no pun intended). If I were in his position I'd do precisely the same (although I'd probably do some time as rearcrew first to get the back seat and winchman perspective). The SARTU long courses are designed to put everyone to the test so if he gets to 22 or 202 then he'll be competant to do the job. Having said that, with no operational experience, it will be a steep (i.e vertical) learning curve. I don't think he'll get preferrential treatment, just a few extra remedial flights and air warning chances as and when. It's in everyone's interest for him to pass the courses.

In my opinion, it can only be a good thing both for him and the RAF from a PR point of view. That is until SAR-H when it all changes that is. From what I understand about "Royal Duties", I wouldn't like to trade places with him once the SAR detatchment is over.

fair play I say! :D

"steady, winchman on the deck, off the hook, in the water"

maxaoa
16th Sep 2008, 13:37
Good luck to him I say. He did alright up at Linton (insider knowledge!) and now he want's to do the only proper flying Job that he's allowed.

My gripe is the Telegraph explaining how the Sarf (Search and rescue force!) delivered aide to Mozambique in 2000. As I remember it 33 Sqn went from a Norway det to aid relief inside a week and then worked their little buts off until the aircraft broke and then did some more!

SAR boys do a fantastic job but credit where credits due.

Maxaoa

Adam Nams
16th Sep 2008, 13:38
"SARBOYS!! W*NKERS!............ Oooh........Hello Your Royal Highness!"

Archimedes
16th Sep 2008, 14:17
I can see no point in having any form of Monarchy, when all rules and dictats come from Brussells, the Monarchy has absolutely no power so has no reason to exist.

The EU can't sack the PM. The Queen can

The EU can't dissolve parliament. The Queen can.

The EU can't choose the Prime Minister. The Queen can.

The EU can't deny a sitting PM a dissolution of parliament. The Queen can.

The EU can't prevent a sitting government from seeking to extend its time in office beyond the statutory five years. The Queen can (via options 1 and 2 above).

The EU can't prevent a sitting government from trying to impose a state of emergency in a bid to extend its life beyond five years.

Guess who can?

Don't forget that the monarch has the power to refuse Royal Assent to a bill, so that if a government attempted to pass (say) an enabling law with the intent of turning Britain into a one-party state because it was clearly going to lose the next election, it'd end up with.... a general election.

And she has the power to do those things whenever she damn well pleases, and as often as she damn well pleases. Just because the constitutional position in the country is such that exercising these powers is either retained as the nuclear option, kept dormant to reflect the balance between unelected monarch and elected parliament, or done upon the advice of the government or Privy Council doesn't mean that she doesn't posess power.

oldbeefer
16th Sep 2008, 14:22
Being an active sort of bloke, I suspect he will soon get fed up with sitting around twiddling his thumbs all shift and eating all that free food!:E

Flag Track
16th Sep 2008, 14:32
Does this mean half-lifing components Royal Flight stylee with it's attendant b*ll-ache? Also I understand the OCU are having problems with ac availability?

The Helpful Stacker
16th Sep 2008, 14:53
Archimedes - You also missed out the peculiar quirk of this country that has anyone who joins the Armed Forces (well at least the RAF, British Army or Royal Marines) swear an oath of allegiance to the Head of State rather than to government.

The bottom line is that although we are paid for and do the bidding of the elected government the military are ultimately answerable to the Queen (and her successors) and are thus apolitical, exactly how a military should be.

Occasional Aviator
16th Sep 2008, 15:54
Tourist,

thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking.

Archimedes - yes, absolutely - but, have you not heard Gordon's plan to enact all remaining royal prerogative powers into statute - meaning that htey will be decided by parliament rather than the monarch? This effectively makes Britain a republic, and no-one seems to have noticed!

Archimedes
16th Sep 2008, 15:58
OA - you're correct, but the powers I noted above will still lie with HMQ and her successors (at least they did last time I looked).

Completely OT - Is it my computer, or is the advertising sidebar making this page rather squashed?

Truckkie
16th Sep 2008, 16:37
Good luck to him I say.

The SAR long course is no easy option, or the OCU.

Hope he makes it into a frontline SAR cab.

Great PR for the RAF and good character-building stuff for our future Monarch.

Good luck HRH

teeteringhead
16th Sep 2008, 16:50
By all accounts at Shawbs he had a "good pair of hands" and is certainly worth a shot at SAR. It sems t be an excellent compromise and we (the RAF in particular and the forces in general) should be chuffed - nay, proud that he wants to do (as close as he ever can) a real job with us.

As has been stated earlier, if he didn't have a very good chance of success, the Airships wouldn't have allowed it. The bigest fun (ad one has never been a Sarbouy) will be to see the reaction of the Squadron that doesn't get him!

And it won't be Cyprus - press release specifies sea king :D

OmegaV6
16th Sep 2008, 16:51
Off topic warning

Completely OT - Is it my computer, or is the advertising sidebar making this page rather squashed?No I agree .. the latest additional advertising is a total pain :( More adverts on PPRUNE now than ever before....

personal opinion .. me no like ... :(

End off topic warning

West Coast
16th Sep 2008, 17:04
I'm also a bit concerned as to why it will take the bloke 18 months to get to a SAR flight.

Wasn't his initial training a rather truncated affair as compared to others?

16th Sep 2008, 17:23
West Coast - he has to complete the long SARTU course (made longer because of the shortcomings of the Griffin in the SAR role under the contract) and then the Sea King OCU. It should be less than 18 months but probably not by a lot.

Flag Track
16th Sep 2008, 19:29
Crab, what Griffin shortcomings? no axe to grind just nosey!

17th Sep 2008, 05:29
Flagtrack - the nature of the contract with civilian owned, mil operated aircraft and mixed civilian and miltary crews requires the aircraft to be Safe Single Engine when live winching. In low wind speeds this is not possible in the Griffin so training is lost on many days.

It has been rumoured that SARTU will get new aircraft at some stage but that may just be to service other contracts.

Another factor is that SARTU, despite its name, is not run by the SARForce but by DHFS (tri-service helicopter training at Shawbury) who is its primary customer and therefore has priority when training is conducted.

Flag Track
17th Sep 2008, 06:24
Thanks Crab!:ok:

Hamish 123
17th Sep 2008, 08:31
No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but there cannot be any way that he has fully "earned" his wings after spending 4 months seconded to the RAF. Surely he's going to have to go back and do the full Tucano course, then the full rotary course, picking up his wings "proper" along the way, then the full SAR course? All in 18 months? He cannot be let loose on an operational unit without meeting the required standards at every stage of the prescribed training - can he?

And another thing - wonder if he'll still be photographed stumbling out of that crappy club in Mayfair at 4am on a Tuesday morning quite so frequently? Didn't seem to matter much to the Army . . .

RODF3
17th Sep 2008, 09:18
He shouldn't have to do tucanos, as many come to Shawbury straight from UAS/EFT. But i suspect he will need to do some flying on 60 sqn, as he has not worked with a crew, twin engines, NVG, Procedural. All of which he will need on a SAR flight. So some sort of Ad Hoc cse maybe before SARTU and SK OCU.

Warmtoast
17th Sep 2008, 09:20
No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but there cannot be any way that he has fully "earned" his wings after spending 4 months seconded to the RAF.

Did he ACTUALLY fly solo i.e. with just him in the aircraft?

Whereas I recall photos of his father and grandfather flying solo, the latter in this particularly good PR-type photo,

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/DukeofEdinburghSolo1953.jpg

I don't recall photos of Wills flying in an aircraft other than when he was accompanied by an instructor.

knowitall
17th Sep 2008, 09:48
"I don't recall photos of Wills flying in an aircraft other than when he was accompanied by an instructor."

he has stated that he flew solo

so either

A. he did

B. he lied on the national news, watched by several million people

the bloke can't bloody win with some people

Gainesy
17th Sep 2008, 11:19
Doing a close-formation photo shoot with a first soloist? Who in his right mind would auth that?

vecvechookattack
18th Aug 2010, 16:06
Check this out for top journalism......PRINCE William was seen in a bar in Barnstaple last night. (http://www.thisisdevon.co.uk/northdevon/Prince-seen-Barnstaple-bar/article-2542458-detail/article.html?)

Runaway Gun
18th Aug 2010, 17:18
Hmmm - but it doesn't say if he was eating or drinking without help (ie solo).

Leave the poor fella alone.

Impiger
19th Aug 2010, 06:16
Reminds me of the scenario at a not so secret Scottish base when our heir presumptive was a stude in the locality. The ladies had a text network running which would report which pub he was in and they'd all flock there. Young fighter types on base got wind of this and arranged to turn up at same pub just before closing time - rationale? As HRH made his way home there would be a lot of disappointed totty hanging about and the lads saw this as a truly target rich environment!

A plan so cunning ..................... :D

orgASMic
19th Aug 2010, 09:01
Cue Minigundiplomat chiming in with "fighter jocks living on (future) helicopter hero's scraps" banter! :ok:

teeteringhead
19th Aug 2010, 09:04
Hmmmmm - single trainee pilot in his twenties goes to pub - Hold the Front Page!

So what? When at DHFS he was spotted in the Armoury in Shrewsbury and the Fox in Shawbury, with course mates - I say again - so what?

Poor s*d is damned if he does (go out and be normal) and damned if he doesn't - give him a bit of space while he can enjoy being (relatively) normal...:ok:

The Nr Fairy
20th Aug 2010, 06:11
Not just enriching the economy in Barnstaple and Shrewsbury, it would seem:

CAFE owner Charles Brathwaite is used to rustling up cheeseburgers and bacon baps, but it's not every day they disappear down a royal gullet. (http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/news/Cafe-serves-treat-prince-s-flying-visit/article-2538775-detail/article.html)

The Fairy family popped in to Swansea the day after this - purely unrelated, it must be said - and the cafe owner was quietly stoked about it.

vecvechookattack
20th Aug 2010, 06:44
Their Sea King helicopter took on fuel, but had to stop again at nearby Pembrey Airport to take on more before the crew resumed their duties.

D'ya know.....the Endurance of the mighty Sea King isn't what it used to be.

scarecrow450
20th Aug 2010, 11:48
Both himself and little bro flew solo at Shawbury

The Nr Fairy
20th Aug 2010, 13:09
vecvechook:

Either a lack of fuel at Swansea, due to the unannounced arrival of a type needing Jet A-1, or the consumed burgers adding to the "who ate all the pies" payload ? Your call.

Shackman
20th Aug 2010, 13:35
Just to point out that both have done the FULL DHFS course. PW is in the throes of completing/completed the FULL SARTU and Sea King course, PH the Middle Wallop side of things. No short cuts, no short courses prior to full time employment on the front line - there is no 'royal short cut' as ap seems to insinuate. Perhaps that is a better story for the press hounds frequenting these pages.

Clockwork Mouse
20th Aug 2010, 15:18
Airpolice
You are a berk. Can I suggest you go further away?

Tashengurt
20th Aug 2010, 20:28
I'm certainly no monarchist but yeah, these princes seem to want to have a go and lead, as far as is possible, productive service careers. Good luck to them for that.
Given how Williams life especially is likely to pan out I certainly don't begrudge him having a bash at a real job first and Harry seems to have got his boots properly dirty.
I can understand a few caveats attached to their deployments and oddities in their postings given their circs.

Bravo73
17th Sep 2010, 09:13
BBC News - Prince William 'challenge' as RAF Valley rescue pilot (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-11332006)

Congrats to Flt Lt Wales. :D

green granite
17th Sep 2010, 10:12
I love the bit at the end:

"But the RAF has also warned that any time-wasters making bogus calls in the hope of catching a glimpse of the pilot prince could find themselves landed with a hefty bill to cover the enormous cost of every single search and rescue operation."

fred737
17th Sep 2010, 10:47
Most military aviators are known by their nicknames. What does Flt Lt Wales answer to?

Clockwork Mouse
17th Sep 2010, 11:20
Your Royal highness?

parabellum
17th Sep 2010, 11:30
Strongbow, Motorcycling, R/C cars, Volvos, Strongbow.

Suggest you stick to these, your chip is showing.

Gainesy
17th Sep 2010, 12:23
What does Flt Lt Wales answer to?

Billy The Fish was mooted, doubt he'd answer to it though.:)

Tankertrashnav
17th Sep 2010, 16:09
Terrific. Congratulations to Flt Lt Wales and all the others on his course. Anyone who thinks that he has done anything less than 100% to earn his qualification is just desperate to knock him for who he is by accident of birth. Just as bad as saying a black guy must have had a helping hand to qualify, IMOH

STANDTO
17th Sep 2010, 16:22
There will be young ladies putting to the Irish Sea on lilos like there is no tomorrow.

Alber Ratman
17th Sep 2010, 17:09
18 months training for SAR + his other 4 months basic training with the RAF and his military training (covering the 6 months IOT) makes HRH's training fairly similar to everbody else.. Who got past basic flying and wasn't good enough for advancement to FJs..

Tankertrashnav
17th Sep 2010, 17:32
Who got past basic flying and wasn't good enough for advancement to FJs..

... and who actually has a fair chance of doing a useful job .....:E

Neptunus Rex
17th Sep 2010, 19:24
A Graduate Entry stude at Linton in the 70's volunteered for rotary, purely on the grounds that he would be scoring 1369s two reporting sessions before his mates who went to fast jets. He had the promotion game sussed.

Flap62
17th Sep 2010, 19:53
A Graduate Entry stude at Linton in the 70's volunteered for rotary, purely on the grounds that he would be scoring 1369s two reporting sessions before his mates who went to fast jets. He had the promotion game sussed

And spent the next ten years living in a tent, peeing in a bucket and eating compo while his mates were wazzing about at 450kts and 250ft before heading back to the bar.

Sounds like the bloke was a genius.

Dunbar
17th Sep 2010, 20:47
Anyone who has had a pair of wings pinned on 'em in a ceremony will be grinning when they see that news clip. Well done, special day for you all.

Fortissimo
17th Sep 2010, 21:25
Who got past basic flying and wasn't good enough for advancement to FJs..

Alber,

There was never any prospect of King(Des) being allowed to fly FJ. Since the end of WW2, the overwhelming majority of our casualties have arisen in the FJ fleets and that simple fact drives the assessment of risk to an individual whose birth placed him on a different path from the rest of us. His father was in the same position - whatever you think of his later aviation exploits, the people involved in his initial training may choose to tell you that PoW had an excellent set of hands. It is not many of us who could climb into an ac after a year off and fly an IRT profile to Green standards - he did.

The man passed the SK OCU on his own merits as an aviator. He should be applauded for it, along with the rest of his course mates.

Dundiggin'
17th Sep 2010, 21:25
:D Hearty congratulations on passing a very demanding set of courses and becoming the very first Royal 'yellow hatter'!! We're proud of you. If anyone on here thinks it's easy they're either being conveniently naive - or just bloody ignorant. Probably the latter :ugh:

goofer
19th Sep 2010, 16:22
I heartily agree. Truly a moment for national rejoicing. But yellow hat and brown nose? Makes me slightly queasy.

minigundiplomat
19th Sep 2010, 17:54
and who actually has a fair chance of doing a useful job

and keeping it post-October.

LateArmLive
19th Sep 2010, 18:16
and keeping it post-October

as a civilian :ok:

minigundiplomat
19th Sep 2010, 20:54
LateArm,

maybe, but at least keep it.

Union Jack
29th Oct 2010, 14:56
Anyone who has had a pair of wings pinned on 'em in a ceremony will be grinning when they see that news clip.

Interestingly enough, no wings in this clip

Prince William visits Faslane | British Forces News (http://www.bfbs.com/news/scotland/prince-william-visits-faslane-40605.html)

or any of the others covering his visit to "a secret submarine base sommewhere in Dunbartonshire" .....:hmm:

Jack

PS I was kind enough to ignore the Daily Mail clip :E

vecvechookattack
29th Oct 2010, 15:40
You are right....thats very interesting that he isn't wearing any wings in those photos.... !!!!!

air pig
29th Oct 2010, 16:16
RN wear their wings on their left arm above the rank braid.

Regards

Air pig

Charlie Time
29th Oct 2010, 16:40
Why would he be wearing RAF wings on his RN uniform?

benmac
29th Oct 2010, 16:42
Have any amusing tales filtered down from the days of Flt Lt Wales' flying training I wonder?
I know a few from the time his father was learning his trade. For example, when walking back to the flight-line after one particular trip, his instructor started to write-up his post flight report and asked the Prince " does abysmal have one or two esses?" I'm not sure the Prince replied, but I know there is only one S in treason!

Union Jack
29th Oct 2010, 18:54
Why would he be wearing RAF wings on his RN uniform?

Never suggested that HRH would or should -the clue was in the phrase "Anyone who has had a pair of wings pinned on 'em ". My comment simply stemmed from the fact that there has been conjecture in other earlier threads about the basis on which Royals who have been awarded wings by one Service subsequently end up wearing the wings of the other Services, sometimes without any obvious justification eg. Prince Michael of Kent, who displays RN/RAF/AAC wings when wearing the uniform of the relevant Service. In the case at issue, Prince William has very commendably completed full training on the Sea King, an aircraft operated by the FAA, hence it would seem perfectly possible that that might qualify him for FAA pilot's wings which, as Air Pig helpfully points out, are worn on the left sleeve.

Whew!:rolleyes:

Jack

PS So that's what that badge was!:)

doubledolphins
30th Oct 2010, 23:06
Pity no one has told him how to hold his sword properly.;)

D O Guerrero
31st Oct 2010, 07:27
Surely he's not wearing a Pusser's cap?