PDA

View Full Version : ICQ - Copying Contacts List?

blackadder
5th Dec 1999, 09:29
Can anyone tell me how to copy my contacts list from ICQ (Win95) to a LT (win98) ?
TIA.

FL310
5th Dec 1999, 19:19
If you have the same ICQ version on both systems (must be identical....) than it is very easy.
Just copy the C:/program files/icq folder with all subdirectories from one machine to the other. This provides also same setup, authorization etc...

If you re-install on the same machine use the ICQ Database converter in the menu.

blackadder
5th Dec 1999, 21:10
FL310 Thank you, will try that later as soon as my replacement LT arrives......
Gateway Grrrrrrr.

squeakmail
7th Dec 1999, 07:51
Can anyone tell me...what the hell is an ICQ (I've seen this question asked on Pprune before...it got no answer)

------------------
LIVE in peace...or REST in it!

blackadder
7th Dec 1999, 10:03
Try going to http://www.icq.com All will be revealed. :)

blackadder
7th Dec 1999, 10:08
Even better is http://www.icq.com/products/whatisicq.html
A very handy comm tool.

Squiddley
8th Dec 1999, 08:48
Blackadder,

An easier way may well be to copy the contents of C:\Program Files\ICQ\DB to a floppy and then paste it into the same location on the new PC. The DB sub-directotry usually contains two files and depending on the number of contacts you have and the message history, it may or may not fit.

Depending on the version of ICQ you might need to run the database converter but that's automated anyway once you start it.

It's always an idea to save these two files elsewhere, as it's a royalpain to find and add your contacts - and wait for the inevitbale authorisation to add them!

Good luck.

Methusalah
9th Dec 1999, 22:16
Much as I understand your enthusiasm for ICQ, you should also be prepared for the fact that it is the most likely source of a virus!!!
It is a natural conduit - the vast majority of virus, (plural, anyone?), originate in the C.I.S. or Isreal, if you choose to open your computer to ICQ make sure you have an anti-virus programme equal to the job.

Starlight
11th Dec 1999, 20:29
Viruses

Collins English Dictionary (Second Edition 1986)

Flying Banana
27th Dec 1999, 20:26
Anti virus programmes don't stop hackers getting into your PC, something which happens with alarming regularity on ICQ

Check out my posting on 'Wannabees' under 'ICQ ' thread (27/12 1554)for info on how to prevent this!

fergineer
2nd Jan 2000, 00:03
Can vouch for the virus effect on OCQ it trashed my kit, lost all the data beware of it, it has also happened to friends, they did not put it down to it until mine crashed completely.

------------------
ff

InFinRetirement
2nd Jan 2000, 03:15
Absolutely correct!

There is a whole lot of people going down via ICQ in the US - today as a matter of fact. It is so easy to get in amongst the guys who like ICQ it's now not worth it.

Keep miles away from it is the best advice.

Flying Banana
3rd Jan 2000, 00:11
A lot of problems with ICQ are related to hackers, check out my posting 'hacker warning' in Computer forum for info on how to stop these pesky nerds from ruining your day :)

[This message has been edited by Flying Banana (edited 02 January 2000).]

blackadder
4th Jan 2000, 17:41
Oz ISP has recommended "GUARDOG" from McAfee.
Does anyone here use it?

Flying Banana
5th Jan 2000, 00:11
Not heard anything about guarddog but mcafee's stuff is usually good. If you give it a try let us know if it's any good.

Might be an idea to get a friend who knows how, to try and get into your system once its up and running to see if it works..

Land Lubber
7th Jan 2000, 15:44
There is a site that does an auto-check of your system's vulnerability ... that is without ICQ up and running.
http://members.tripod.com/~Revealist

I run ICQ in "Authorized only mode, and Invisible" I too, have been "hacked" and it is too much stress and wasted time to put things to rights again [over and over].

There is another program which alerts to unathorized port access and finds trojans and virus related things. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif Will have to find it and post later. I thought I knew where it was. It is neither Norton nor McAfee.

One of the neatest things to put on your machine, if you use it a lot, is MS's Power Toy! Very useful app. Download from Microsoft.