PDA

View Full Version : FAA / CAA (UK) PPL validation for Australia

172driver
14th Sep 2008, 17:53
Hi Guys,

Before anyone jumps in and tells me to hit the 'search' button, I have and found a couple of threads. They all are rather old, however, and these things evolve. So here goes:

I intend to visit the land of Oz in Feb and would like to do some self-hire flying/touring. I hold both FAA and CAA(UK) PPL standalone licenses, both current with valid medicals. I am an EU national.

The questions:

What do I need to do to fly in Oz? Other than the obvious, going up with an instructor.
Does the SPL still exist?
From reading the posts in the other threads, it would appear that the CAA are one of the stumbling blocks (and I have first-hand experience here :{), so would it be better to validate the FAA license?
What's the current state of play re the various ID checks ?

Thanks all in advance.

crank1000
15th Sep 2008, 00:38
My neighbour holds an FAA PPL and he got a special licence (thats what he called it) from CASA that allowed him to fly for a limited time before he had to convert it. I beleive the US does this for CASA and JAA licence holders.

Flight crew exams and licences - Converting foreign licences (http://www.casa.gov.au/fcl/overbr.htm)

Here is the link the CASA website

Cheers

172driver
16th Sep 2008, 07:29
Thanks, seems like the validation route (rather than the SPL) is what I'll go for.

:ok: