PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 Medical

Gaspode the Dog
14th Sep 2008, 14:50
A simple question (I hope). For us oldies (over 40), does the Class 1 medical for Air Ambulance work in the UK last 6 or 12 months? Is HEMs work classed as single pilot air transport operations carrying passengers?

Ta.

GTD:confused:

AMEandPPL
14th Sep 2008, 15:11
This really is one of the most difficult ones ! You are definitely carrying a "passenger" (the patient) maybe plus a doctor and/or nurse, who would also be "passengers", and there is probably not much doubt that you will be being remunerated for it !

BUT . . . . . the "passenger (s) " will not be paying any fares, so there is therefore no direct monetary contract between them and the pilot.

My advice would be to check this out with FCL at Gatwick, and preferably get that advice in writing !

griffothefog
14th Sep 2008, 15:20
My take on it... If you are flying 2 crew at all times, the medical is valid for 12 months. If you fly ANY single pilot ops it is only good for 6 months.
Having been out of the UK for a long time, you might find someone else on the site who has more up to date info. Good luck :ok:

Whirlygig
14th Sep 2008, 15:42
In the UK, your Class 1 will last for 6 months and HEMS is usually single pilot public transport (I think London may be multi-pilot).

Cheers

Whirls

What Limits
14th Sep 2008, 15:49
Patients, paramedics and police officers are all passengers so its all counted as public transport.

Therefore your medical is valid for six months.

Bertie Thruster
14th Sep 2008, 20:50
....unless its multipilot (eg London), then its annual until 60, when it becomes 6 monthly.

Skidkid
14th Sep 2008, 21:10
....unless its multipilot (eg London), then its annual until 60, when it becomes 6 monthly.

NO, NO

In the UK, unless you are working at London HEMS, it is classed as a "Single pilot air transport operation carrying passengers". In which case:

If you are under age 40 it is every 12 months.
If you are age 40 - 60 it is every 6 months.
You cannot fly single pilot if you are 60 or over.

If you are working at London HEMS it is a two pilot operation. In which case:

If you are under 60 it is every 12 months.
If you are age 60 - 65 it is every 6 months.

Bertie Thruster
14th Sep 2008, 21:13
That's what I said! (apart from the upper age limit)

(but note there is no upper age limit stated on the medical certificate)

Skidkid
14th Sep 2008, 21:25
No you didn't, read your reply again carefully.

You said, "....unless its multipilot (eg London)", inferring that you are talking about single pilot operations.

You then said, "its annual until 60, when it becomes 6 monthly." It's not annual until 60, it's 6 monthly - and you can't fly if you are over 60.

but note there is no upper age limit stated on the medical certificate

Correct, but you are restricted by other regulations.

TeeS
14th Sep 2008, 22:04
Sorry Skidkid, but I think you should read Bertie's reply again!

TeeS

Skidkid
14th Sep 2008, 22:30
Sorry TeeS. Think about it - you can read it both ways. It's bad grammar and confusing.

Whirlygig
14th Sep 2008, 22:31
The trick is to understand that Bertie's ellipses (...) denotes a follow-on from the previous poster's comment and not the start of a new sentence (in which case it would have started with a capital letter!).

Cheers

Whirls

Skidkid
14th Sep 2008, 22:41
It's still confusing.

BRICK WALL - Bang, Bang, Bang.

:ugh:

Finito

Sulley
16th Sep 2008, 08:13
skidkid only to you !