View Full Version : Eastern Airways recruitment

Leo45
14th Sep 2008, 14:44
Eastern Airways has recently advertised for DEC positions ("predominantly in Aberdeen") and I'm thinking of applying.

I would appreciate some information on Ts & Cs, Roster and overall morale of the troops in the " UK's fastest growing, most successful airlines"...

Thanks in advance

silverknapper
14th Sep 2008, 15:21
Are they recruiting direct on to the Saab?

Leo45
14th Sep 2008, 15:25
They don't mention any specific aircraft type in the advert.

PaulW
14th Sep 2008, 17:19
Word on the grapevine is that they do recruit direct onto the saab. Excellent aircraft, no argument best turboprop there is, if you can get on it, i think its pretty much luck of the draw which fleet you end up on. Great aircraft, great mix of schedule and charters and good bunch of guys. Morale... depends on who you talk to.. Rostering is changing, recently has been unstable but changes to the way rostering is carried out that have been implemented in the last month should make a great improvement, we wait with baited breath to see the results. From what i hear and have seen seen it will be a marked improvement.

holyflurkingschmitt
14th Sep 2008, 17:53
Aberdeen is a J41 and Saab 2000 base purely depends on what you get offered if successful at interview.

HFS:ok:

JB10
23rd Sep 2008, 11:36
Hi,

Will they be making direct entry captains pay for their rating?

Any ides on up to date salary?

Cheers

Iver
23rd Sep 2008, 13:19
There are fewer and fewer Saab 2000s flying around out there. Looks like it would be a great airplane to fly - a real sportscar. How many Saab 2000s do Eastern have? Where are they based?

tocken
23rd Sep 2008, 18:18
I know the selection for the Saab is not based on how good you are in the sim. Your friend with 200 hours is obviously blowing wind up his own pipe. The 41 is a demanding little aeroplane to operate compared to the Saab. Just right place right time is closer to the mark for Mr W

Donkey Duke
23rd Sep 2008, 23:57
Do you fly the Saab, and do you enjoy it? Where do they normally fly, and which football charters have they been doing from MAN? Cheers.

chai ja
26th Sep 2008, 14:32
Do they ask you for your preferred base??

How likely would you get offered the job, if you prefered EMA?

Cheers
CJ

TheRed(lfc)Baron
26th Sep 2008, 16:02
I'm ex Eastern Saab 2000 - only way I can describe the plane is "Awesome":D, its got all the gizmo's but your still able to fly it like a big twin

Am curently on a big jet and its nowhere near as nice - I would love to go back one day and fly the SB20 shame the money at Eastern wasnt enough to live on

best of luck:ok:

Wellington Bomber
14th Dec 2008, 17:02
King Chav

Just taken a load of Flightline huys and gals on, but I am sure they are still short, get a CV in quick before you miss the boat

AKAFresh
14th Dec 2008, 22:14
TheRed(lfc)Baron,

May I ask a personal Q... Your previous post got me curious... Which a/c did you go on to fly after the Saab?

Thanks in advance!

AkA.

Mister Geezer
14th Dec 2008, 23:55
Just taken a load of Flightline huys and gals on, but I am sure they are still short

Only five skippers were taken across......

Stationair8
15th Dec 2008, 05:14
What are their requirements?
Do they accept overseas ATPL?

Wellington Bomber
15th Dec 2008, 12:23
King Chav

Steve Jenkins = chief pilot

jamestkirk
17th Dec 2008, 19:02
Don't quote me but i think Eastern is OK for Saab FO's at the moment.

Cloud Chaser
11th Jan 2009, 10:16
Anyone care to answer the original question regarding T's and C's? :sad:

loopyloulancs
29th Nov 2009, 13:27
Any truth that Eastern are recruiting for captains on the SAAB? Been told that several have left recently, find it hard to believe in the current job market.

Mister Geezer
2nd Dec 2009, 13:03
Is that they left with no job to go to?

Wellington Bomber
2nd Dec 2009, 16:06
Not all of them, I think one as nothing to go to

horsebox
29th Dec 2009, 23:31
In view of the escaping saab captains, and new swedish operation, has anyone been invited for interview with eastern recently?

loftustb
30th Dec 2009, 17:20
Lots of people with £13-15k to spend?

Wellington Bomber
31st Dec 2009, 06:54
Better than 30K with Easyjet and Ryanair, and you get a permanent job not hust 80hrs flying or whatever it is

North of the Field
31st Dec 2009, 09:55
Does anyone know if 1000hrs minimum has always been the requirement for FOs at Eastern?

taxi_driver
31st Dec 2009, 10:05
They like people with a few hours under their belts, means they can look at you for command quicker. Most Fo's I fly with seem to join with 500 - 1000 hours, alot of ex instructors, unusual to find any 250hour skygods, there are a couple knocking about.

If you polish yer boots, and think hats are the bes thing since sliced bread, that should do the trick.

North of the Field
31st Dec 2009, 10:30
That's a shame. I'm currently sat on 230hrs, wouldn't call myself a skygod but eager to learn.

"If you polish yer boots, and think hats are the bes thing since sliced bread, that should do the trick."...... If it gets me a job at Eastern I'll wear whatever (within reason of course! :eek:)

will fly for food 06
31st Dec 2009, 17:21
I got an email back from HR a few weeks ago which said

"Please note our current minimum requirements are 1000 hrs total for FO, 3500 total for captains, and 1000 hrs on similar type."

Good luck North of the Field, I hope you find a job. :)

Happy Wanderer
31st Dec 2009, 17:33
I know of FOs who've got into Eastern in the last 12 months with a lot less than 1000hrs....

HW

will fly for food 06
31st Dec 2009, 17:40
I agree with you HW. I have seen in it with other companies.

North of the Field
31st Dec 2009, 17:49
Cheers Will Fly for Food 06.

I'd like to know how people are getting on with a lot less than 1000hrs! I've been looking for about 15 months now since flight school and despite 100s of emails I estimate only 10% have even got back to me! (think I've sent about 5 to Eastern).

Pretty annoying at the moment as I've watched countless people buy ratings and hours and despite keeping my hand in flying light aircraft (40hrs in the last year) does feel like I'm not getting anywhere!

Ah well let's all hope for a better 2010!

mad_jock
31st Dec 2009, 23:25
I would suggest you revisit your CV and covering letters. It might not make the slightest bit of difference, but if its not working after a year I think you need to change your cunning plan.

Wellington Bomber
1st Jan 2010, 07:42
Some of the people who have been taken with less than 1000 hrs include guys/gals who have been working for Eastern in other departments for up to a year in various guises including cabin crew/ operations / ramp and dispatch.

Might give some of the low houred people another way in, rather than spit dummy out and say its not fair, get used to it life is not fair.

Coffin Corner
1st Jan 2010, 08:44
WB that's a bit harsh on the lad, I don't see him spitting his dummy out. Infact he deserves a bit of credit for persevering and not buying himself a rating etc.

acepilotmurdock
1st Jan 2010, 10:04
I currently have around 260 ish hours and got a lovely e-mail back from a lady in HR saying the mins were 1000hrs. Fair play to Eastern, thy mat be swamped with CV's like other airlines, but that personal touch and time to reply was appreciated. Its little things like that, that will put Eastern ahead of other employers when it picks up again. Good on Eastern and keep it up.

loftustb
1st Jan 2010, 10:32
They might be "ahead of other employers" but they're no saints. A few years ago, they were quick to start charging for a sim check and to introduce the pay-your-own-type-rating-upfront scheme when they saw the way the industry was going.

acepilotmurdock
1st Jan 2010, 13:57
Here, here...some good flying with Eastern I would imagine, and to keep flying and a wage in these climates is a bonus...Wish I had the luxury of that choice.
Happy New Year to ya all
Ace
:ok:

Charley
1st Jan 2010, 16:45
Scratching: Why would anyone be on a Captain's salary after just 6 months with Eastern?

Sure they might be fully unfrozen and eligible for an upgrade, but you don't earn a skippers packet until you are actually a skipper, and being eligible for an upgrade is no guarantee of getting offered it or even passing it.... or am I missing something?

There are many FO's that have been with Eastern for years, have all the necessary boxes ticked, and are still waiting for their commands.

Yes the SAAB fleet seems to be losing a few captains, perhaps due to the large amount of unpredictability that the fleet has been subject to due to the leased/contract work. But surely anybody who joins today would be to backfill against the existing FO's that will then be put forward for upgrade...? Ya know, seniority/time-served/known quantities and all that...

I think to suggest that anybody joining EZE would be make Captain after 6 months is bobbins, IMO. Let's see if the reality bears that out.

Also, which fleet/base are you at that cracks the full 900 hours a year? Making 500 in 6 months? Not at Eastern mate...

PaulW
1st Jan 2010, 19:32
The j41 guys in Aberdeen are very familiar with being maxed out, more j41 guys would be welcomed. Saab captains are working very hard too, it's just the Saab fos who fly 5-700 hours a year. We have had direct entry commands from guys who have never had a command before in other companies and with recent upgrades and some rumoured to happen one year seems minimum time, manual states 2 winters but company does it's own thing. Which is key here seniority means nothing for command if the powers that be like the look of you, congratulations. So however long other people have been fos is irrelevant, it's about you, and whether your lucky there aren't any direct entry guys due to start. A few captains have said it's easier to get dec than upgrade, as they only have seen the good side of you at the recruitment stage. The hours requirement for scs restricts upgrade to an extent on the Saab, although it's recently happened this month. I know the Saab fos believe these guys to be very lucky, and are pleased they have finally been upgraded after having command courses postponed for DECs last year and before the next round of DECs arrive in the next few months. The company ideally wants guys who can operate to scs as captains with 4000 total 2500 pic which is an issue for upgrade, which is why they look for decs.

taxi_driver
2nd Jan 2010, 09:57
The quickest way to get command here is to join as a captain. They seem not to promote the fo's, although a couple seem to be finally getting a chance now. Scs contract must have high hours for captains, but the company havent worked out the high experience = more reward yet, so they keep losing them. Other than that they seem happy to take on some fairly average captains, and overlook decent FO's.

If your face dont fit, dont expect promotion, and with some of the eccentric management we have, it is easy for a face not to fit. My fleet not to bad but the jetstream lot get worked to the edge of exhaustion at abz.

Lads if you finished training over a year ago and you are still sat on 230hrs, then that should tell you something?

North of the Field
2nd Jan 2010, 12:57
"Lads if you finished training over a year ago and you are still sat on 230hrs, then that should tell you something?"...

I had 36hrs which I was doing towards my PPL alongside my final year at University (I didn't finish the PPL as I decided to go Integrated instead (started March 2007) - not the best decision but hindsight is a wonderful thing). Completed that in minimum hours (so my total flight time at that point was therefore just over 180hrs) and since then (completed my course in early September 2008) I've done another 40 odd hours.

Considering I'm working 5 days a week in an office paying off my loan as well as keeping myself airborne as much as possible I don't think there is much else I could have done?

taxi_driver
2nd Jan 2010, 13:09
In simple terms you need to keep running just to stand still....

How do you think people get from 230hrs to 1000hrs in a year ?

jamestkirk
2nd Jan 2010, 13:13
wondering who you are. I am assuming abz based.....:)

North of the Field
2nd Jan 2010, 13:15
Well either:

A) they are absolutely loaded and therefore can afford to hire a lot more than I can;

B) they are able to shell out the £6k or so and due to little or no debt can afford to instruct full time (although most PPL schools seem to be struggling for business and there is a large number of instructors looking for work at the moment; or

C) An operator gives you a break and a first rung on the ladder.

I'd appreciate any other thoughts you have.

TESTingPILOT
2nd Jan 2010, 13:47
'How do you think people get from 230hrs to 1000hrs in a year ?'

A lot are spoiled rich kids who mummy and daddy throw money at because they want to play at being 'airline pilot' merely because a: they have the money to do so and b: they really dont know what to do in life.

The others work , live and breath aviation and scrimp and save every penny to fly............ Just my thoughts from meeting many of both. Keep at it NOTF it will happen ;)

acepilotmurdock
2nd Jan 2010, 15:56
A bit unfair...I am also around 250 hours finished in November. I have applied all over the place....Glider towing, meat dropping, and ferrying, all to no avail. I understand you have to keep moving forward to be standing still, and am getting money together to keep flying, but when places require a min of 600 to 700 hrs to meat drop, it is hard to keep the hours ticking over.Especially when you have just finished training, and yes have a big loan to pay off.
Again just my opinion...time to step off soap box put head between legs and wait for incoming!!
:ouch:

TESTingPILOT
2nd Jan 2010, 18:36
Its how it is now ace , it seems too many people are stuck thinkin bout 'the good ol days' when they gained the CPL and walked intoa job not the tough times that are around today , a friend did the FI and only managed 100 hours in 14 or so months , people just dont have the money to spend on a PPL at the moment either.

North of the Field
5th Jan 2010, 18:02
duir, at this point in time I'd bite off anyones hand that gave me a chance. It seems like a lot of people in the job forget what it's like when you're at the bottom and can't get a break anywhere (no matter which way you turn). At least when I do get into the RHS flying whatever! it'll taste a lot sweeter than if it had all come easy!

rotafix
6th Jan 2010, 09:19
On the 16th December I received,

Thank you for your enquiry regarding vacancies within Eastern Airways
and for taking the time in submitting your resume. We are not
recruiting at present but your details have now been forwarded to our
Chief Pilot for consideration against any future opportunities.

..followed by the usual rubbish about hours etc.

Are they still recruiting? :confused:

cap.pulitov
6th Jan 2010, 10:14
Any news on DEC SAAB course in Jan/Feb.?

mikehammer
6th Jan 2010, 15:41
Duir
Well said and hear hear!
I feel your pain.
Mike

Cloud Chaser
6th Jan 2010, 19:51
I assume then, that any recruitment for these courses took place last year. Is there likely to be any more or have we missed the boat?

cap.pulitov
6th Jan 2010, 20:37
Looks like it with only one trainer available and 4 candidates at a time..? Will be interesting to know if they have the experience required for SCS..
Hopefully can get on the Feb. course..
Here's hoping.:rolleyes:

Cloud Chaser
7th Jan 2010, 13:44
Pulitov,
I assume you are in a holding pool(?), when were you assessed?

cap.pulitov
7th Jan 2010, 16:12
No interview yet but have experience required! (Apart from type rating..)
Hope to hear soon..Was asked if I had the Emb-145 on my licence..Seems to be a priority?
I want ABZ so hopefully get something local:ok:

woofly31
7th Jan 2010, 17:53
Are EZE getting EMB's again, they had a couple on lease a few years back?

T3HUY
7th Jan 2010, 20:26
Yeah someone been silly and walked off leaving the original memo on the photocopier duh. Anyway someone else was in right place at the right time, te-he!

Ok goes as this, two Emb135s are being delivered to HUY first in late March and second in mid April with option of a third, and will be operating a three times a weekday Heathrow Liverpool business only service. Route starts 7th June. Usual Eastern stuff single rotation in the morning and two in the afternoon. Times are still being finalized but looking to leave at 7AM last back in at 8PM both aircraft night stopping at each end.

They should start treating staff fair otherwise some start spilling the beans.

taxi_driver
7th Jan 2010, 21:15
Existing crew that used to fly the emb are being asked about validity of their ratings. Certain saabs are due to go for heavy checks and will need cover.

Liverpool to lhr on a 37 seat aircraft, startup route, in the middle of a recession would be a disaster.

Lake would not bother with the embraer unless he has definite profitable work for them somewhere.

woofly31
7th Jan 2010, 21:33
Any ideas where these airframes are comming from?

Wellington Bomber
8th Jan 2010, 07:20
Koolnell

The Bergen routes are operated by J41's not SAABS and most of the engineers are already rated on the EMB145

woofly31
10th Jan 2010, 14:30
Has anyone heard where these EMB's are comming from? Are they going to be on the EZE AOC flown by their crews or wet leased in from another outfit with crews?

binsleepen
18th Jan 2010, 20:44
to anyone with the answers

Are the Saabs based anywhere other than Aberdeen and what sort of rosters do they have? Is there any more new on the Embraers? To those based at Aberdeen does anyone commute from England or are the rosters such that you need to live nearby?

Thanks

taxi_driver
21st Jan 2010, 13:26
Saab's are in Aberdeen, 1 in Norwich.
Rosters are busy, unstable, & erratic.
Commuting not really an option for Aberdeen, a couple of senior capt's do it, but normal folk are expected to live in Abz.
Few benefits, but job security is probably better than average at the moment.

woofly31
25th Jan 2010, 10:23
Any Further news regarding these EMB 145's that have been mentioned? Any idea where they are being sourced from and for what routes?

taxi_driver
25th Jan 2010, 10:31
There are 2 x 135's coming shortly. Ex Air France Regional aircraft. Location TBC, mostly for use on charter work.

woofly31
25th Jan 2010, 10:38
Sounds like good news for Eastern.:ok:

Cloud Chaser
6th Jul 2010, 20:08
Any more news?
Believe the 135's are coming online, will this drive recruitment or is it an ACMI arrangement or perhaps contractors. I know there had been whispers of some of the senior guys being moved across.

windshear-a-head
6th Jul 2010, 20:12
I know of 2 ex TOM guys already taken on for the EMB ;)

taxi_driver
21st Jul 2010, 22:11
Has anyone attended interviews for Eastern recently?

We are short of crew, rumours that saab fleet is struggling especially for Captains, but no formal recruitment going on...?

taxi_driver
22nd Jul 2010, 09:42
Direct entry captains are usually bonded at Eastern. There seems to be reluctance to promote Fo's on the saab due to the high PIC requirement for Scatsta.

Anyone been for an interview recently?

Wellington Bomber
23rd Jul 2010, 06:09
About time RL got his hands in his pockets and gave pay rises to all the hard working crew.

Patience is running very thin now

sidtheesexist
23rd Jul 2010, 08:37
e30k for an ATR rating with no guaranteed employment???? You're having a laugh SC arn't you??? These companies take the biscuit don't they? Mind you, if there are desperados out there who would contemplate such an overtly insulting and exploitative deal, then there is no hope for this industry. Hopefully, folks are finally starting to smell the coffee................:ugh:

Wellington Bomber
24th Jul 2010, 06:30
Suitcaseman

They have already arrived.

2 anyway, Both at Humberside at the moment

LH-OAB
26th Oct 2010, 18:40
Mention is often made of the "high hours requirement" for the Scatsta contract. Can anyone shed any light on the numbers we're talking about? Does it apply only to Captains, or also to FOs?

Piece of Cake
26th Oct 2010, 19:48
When I last flew there in 2008 the high hours requirement was minimum 6000 hours for Captains for the IAC contract, but most had significantly more than this and have been flying to the Shetland islands for years for all the various operators. (Brymon/Brit World/BAF/Flightline) There were some stipulations for F/Os such as time on type (50 hours I think?) but not much else.

LoopGuru
26th Oct 2010, 20:13
Scatsta Requirements:-

Capt: 4000hrs total, 2500hrs command, 100hrs on type
F/O: 100hrs on type, I believe

Possibly a Shell insurance requirement?

vaughan111
27th Oct 2010, 13:14
Interesting!

Is the Scatsta requirement 2500 hrs Multi Crew Turbine command, or just a straight 2500 hrs command on any type?

Wellington Bomber
27th Oct 2010, 15:29
Vaughan

I dont think Cessna 152 or Piper Warrior will count!

Flightrider
27th Oct 2010, 21:39
Shell Management,

I would not wish an accident on anyone, but if you believe that pilot experience is the sole criteria in avoiding accidents, I am fearful that you may be disappointed at some point in your career. One could and perhaps should invoke the names of the experienced KLM and Dan-Air Captains who sadly both met their deaths on the island of Tenerife under very different circumstances. In both cases, their experience did not prevent the very different situations which developed on those days three years apart with identical consequences - the loss of all souls aboard the aircraft which they respectively commanded.

All that said, I would say to you that the hours requirements laid down by oil companies are a farce and may actually be detrimental to the overriding objective of safety which you are trying to achieve. I have encountered several captains in my career with, on paper, substantial flying experience who would pass the paper tests set by oil companies, yet I would seriously baulk at setting foot on an aircraft under their command.

Within those paper requirements, an airline flying for an oil company could quite happily go out and secure the services of a contract pilot who has the requisite experience on paper but who has gone from one carrier to the next with an extremely patchy record of LPCs and OPC passes or failures and with no time built up with any particular operator to provide certainty of adherence to (or even knowledge of) that carrier's SOPs. I must stress that this is not a comment directed at Eastern in any way but rather should be seen as a general broadside against the oil industry's ridiculous belief that hours equals safety. It does not.

An airline - and above all, its passengers - may be far better served by a pilot with less hours but who has accumulated those hours with the same airline under control of a quality training programme. I'd far rather be flying with a 25-30 year old captain with 2,500 hours on type with the same airline from the start of his/her career than I would with a 40-year old captain with 5,000 hours built up with ten years at ten different airlines. Your focus should be on quality assurance and training, rather than hours. Anything less than that smacks of complacency, and I offer no apologies for saying that your posting came across to me as riotously complacent.

I sincerely hope - and I genuinely do - that it does not take an accident to shake you from that complacency.

Again, I stress that this is not a posting which is intended or should be read in any way of being critical of Eastern. It is certainly not, for I have no specific knowledge of what they do or the pilots who fly for them. It should purely be taken as being critical of ill-considered requirements imposed by oil companies on airlines. We don't tell Shell or BP how to run an oil rig, yet a key aspect of safety in the airline business - the supply of properly distilled aviation fuel - depends on you. Airlines audit the end product, ensure that the fuel is safe - regardless of how you've done it - and use it. In the same way, you should audit and assure yourselves that operators are safe, but leave them to determine the means of achieving safety through pilot training and quality assurance to deliver your passengers safely to their intended destination.

And by the way, the broadside against BP is, quite frankly, morally reprehensible. I would hope that anyone who is genuinely from Shell management would have sufficient gumption to post here to publicly disown your views as not representing those of the company to which you puport to belong.

MichaelOLearyGenius
27th Oct 2010, 22:18
requirement for Scatsta due to its unique challenges

What are the unique challenges you talk of? I guess wx related? Anything else?

CathayBrat
27th Oct 2010, 23:56
The 2500 hrs can be in command of any multi-crew aeroplanes. Though up to 10% may be achieved in a flight simulator approved for the purpose by the regulatory authority.

However those are the Shell minimum standards and I would have thought their would be an even higher requirement for Scatsta due to its unique challenges. I must take that up with the SAI advisor. It is possible that the influence of the rest of the IAC consortium has had negative effect

:rolleyes:
The oil industry has always forced "minimum reqs" on EVERYBODY. This is to make sure that there is a get out wriggle room for them if it goes wrong. (Piper A, Exxon V, GoM etc.......) Shell is no better or worse than anyone else, however, if u want to fly on an OGP contract, the mins are stupidly high. Have flown for the oil boys south of the med, dont meet the mins (for them), but the insurance companys and pax seem happy! If a company says this to you, it is total bollox. The main reason is ALL aviation is put in the same slot as the fling wing boys from bristow et al (no disrespesct), however, not going to see a saab on one of the platforms soon........
Cheers

Shell Management
28th Oct 2010, 05:51
Shell are far tougther than other oil companies for good reason - a greater priority on safety (heard of that?). Remember that it was Shell who canned Flightline after an audit. Shell does lead the OGP association to drag standards up: Rotor & Wing Magazine :: The Extra Mile?? (http://www.aviationtoday.com/rw/commercial/offshore/The-Extra-Mile_66757.html)

BP lost two ahelicopters from Aberdeen in the last 20 months - FACT (Shell has not lost an Aberdeen based aircraft in over 20 years FACT).
BP had a fatal fixed wing accident just this week: http://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/431962-king-air-crash-alberta.html
Flightrider might want to Google 'Deepwater Horizon' too. Clearly he has been in a coma this summer.

It may also be worth googling Colgan too!

The challenges at Scatsta are the weather, adjacent terrain and limited apron space.

LoopGuru
28th Oct 2010, 07:29
Shellrider:
The challenges at Scatsta are the weather, adjacent terrain and limited apron space.

Not forgetting the short runway, with downward slope from one end, and the fact the airport only has a single NDB approach aid, with NDB approach on one runway only (followed by circling approach to the other runway - the one with the downslope - if required).

If safety was uppermost on Shell's list of priorities, why was the operation moved from Sumburgh, where there are longer runways, better approach aids and less hazardous terrain? I believe the reason was to save money?

The rigs that SCS serves are also a similar distance from Bergen, which has a much longer runway, better approach aids and facilities, and is much better at coping with winter weather than SCS. Again, perhaps viewed as too expensive for IAC?

Therefore, imposing these experience requirements might be viewed by some as the low-cost option, and is not necessarily the safest one.

ATP_Al
28th Oct 2010, 10:40
The main reason is ALL aviation is put in the same slot as the fling wing boys from bristow et al (no disrespesct), however, not going to see a saab on one of the platforms soon........

This is getting way off topic, but if the North Sea helicopter crews are subject to the same minima then how does anyone ever get a command? If you join as an FO but have to have 2500 hours multi crew turbine P1 to command a flight to the rigs then your career prospects would be fairly limited.

But if the fixed wing crews were subject to higher experience requirements that wouldn't make any sense either! :ugh::ugh:

Flightrider
28th Oct 2010, 17:01
Shell Management - genuinely surprised by your response. I am well aware of all of the incidents/accidents which you cite. And I do not think technical failures such as the 225 accident last year wait for their moment, or even indeed necessarily the operator of the aircraft to which they occur. To use that as some justification of your position is beyond belief.

I like the comment about "you binned Flightline because they failed an audit". If my understanding of the chain of events is correct, Flightline were given notice of early termination yet you + other IAC members continued to fly with them until they went bust before that termination took effect, at which point Eastern took over. So, put another way, you continued to fly with an operator whom you had deemed in some way unsuitable to fly your passengers. Most definitely a case of practicality first, safety second. I suspect you do not always practice what you preach.

No Country Members
29th Oct 2010, 09:52
Indeed, way off topic, and probably not the medium for discussion of Shell Management's feelings on the subject - don't you have confidentiality in your company?

Meanwhile, are there any rumours of interviews at Eastern or not? How many pilots are they likely to lose if any, and, as a matter of interest, where are they leaving for?

CaptainSox
19th Nov 2010, 18:57
Does anyone have any information on Eastern Airways UK please?

I know there routes aircraft ect but just wanted to know what the working conditions are like at the moment moral wise, progression ect if you accept working as cabin crew or in ops before you get a chance on the flight deck?

Also what is it like working in Aberdeen?

And why are they always looking for cabin crew in Aberdeen?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheershttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

LoopGuru
19th Nov 2010, 20:22
Does anyone have any information on Eastern Airways UK please?

I know there routes aircraft ect but just wanted to know what the working conditions are like at the moment moral wise, progression ect if you accept working as cabin crew or in ops before you get a chance on the flight deck?

Also what is it like working in Aberdeen?

And why are they always looking for cabin crew in Aberdeen?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Working conditions for cabin crew and flight deck are generally poor. Roster stability is virtually non-existent and short notice disruption is the norm. Disruption payments are extremely rare due to numerous "get-out" clauses recently introduced by the company. As a result, morale is very low and people are leaving on a regular basis.

Currently there are a few low-houred pilots working as cabin crew, one of whom has recently been offered a position on the J41. Not sure what his terms are, but Eastern normally ask for £12000-£15000 upfront towards the cost of the type rating. He may, however, have been bonded. Normally, there is also a further 12 month bond for the cost of line training (circa. £8000).

Eastern will undoubtedly be looking for flight crew in the next few weeks, if they aren't already. Four FOs left recently and another two are due to leave in the next few months. It's a similar story with captains. When the market starts to pick up properly, Eastern may be faced with a serious shortage of crews, as so many people are seriously hacked off with the poor working conditions and roster disruption. There is also no progression for Saab FOs as most haven't the experience to operate in the LHS in and out of Scatsta.

As for cabin crew, Eastern struggle to keep them for long. Aberdeen is the company's main base and it has the highest turnover, hence why they constantly need to recruit there. The girls and boys in the back often suffer the greatest roster disruption and work the longest hours for very poor pay.

The company is taking on a great deal of work, particularly charters, and often hasn't the crew to operate them. Several charters have had to be cancelled as a result. There has been no pay rise for a couple of years and people have been forced to relocate to avoid redundancy, with no financial assistance because they are then deemed to have "volunteered" to move. For a long time, crews on the Saab were forced to travel on KLM standby tickets to attend simulator training, with many being bumped off flights because they were fully booked. Thankfully, this policy has recently been reviewed.

Captains from other bases who are required to operate out of Aberdeen often have to position to/from Aberdeen on the same day to save on hotel costs. This means they have long duty periods. Other crews operate one or two sectors then have to sit around at the airport, often for 4 to 6 hours before operating a further sector home.

The crews are the best thing about the company. It's a small company and most people know each other. The people we work with day to day are the only thing which makes working for Eastern worthwhile.

My advice: Look for a job elsewhere.

Drakestream
22nd Nov 2010, 17:17
Anyone know what the chances are of getting either a SOU base or EMA?

taxi_driver
22nd Nov 2010, 19:03
SOU shut as a base last January. EMA is a fairly sought after for those moving within the company on the J41.

New starters are normally placed at the less popular bases like Wick, Aberdeen etc. After a period of time you move to a better base as vacancies become available. Though if you are looking at DEC the company may accomodate you at a more favourable place.

The pay is rubbish, roster stability is poor, terms and conditions are non existant, and the working atmosphere can be repressive. On the plus side the flying/training is generally well respected, and crews friendly.

With a little effort it could be an employer of choice, with low crew turnover, but despite being continually profitable the owners and mangagement just dont realise this.

Drakestream
22nd Nov 2010, 23:14
Thanks for the honest assessment taxi driver. I'm currently flying overseas but looking to return to the UK, if I could get a base down South then I would very seriously consider it. I've got a good deal going at my current company though, so I don't want to do anything I'll regret later on, particularly when I'd have to take quite a significant pay cut to move.

CaptainSox
4th Jan 2011, 10:48
I see Eastern airways are recruiting for First Officers again! Says 1000 Hours minimum for application but the last couple of guys had roughly only 250 total.

Any takers? :E

ITFC1
4th Jan 2011, 11:01
Where is teh advert for Eastern, i not seen it.

Nothing on their website.

Thanks

CaptainSox
4th Jan 2011, 11:16
Not sure got an email from a friend who works within the company.

And this.....:}

First Officers

Job Description

Eastern Airways are constantly recruiting to provide sufficient staffing levels to cover ourexpanding route network. To ensure our operation runs smoothly and efficiently we need to employ the very best people.

Eastern Airways has both Flight Crew and Cabin Crew based at the following UK airports - Aberdeen, Durham Tees Valley,
East Midlands, Humberside, Isle of Man, Leeds/Bradford, Newcastle, Norwich, Southampton and Wick. We do not have crew based at Birmingham, Bristol or Cardiff airports in the UK, or any of our European airports.

Airport ground staff are generally employed by our handling agents at the airports to which we operate. We do however also employ our own ground representatives at Aberdeen, Humberside and Wick airports. Eastern Airways headquarters is located at Humberside Airport, North Lincolnshire. The majority of administration staff are based here.
Requirements: JAR-FCL FATPL
JAR-FCL 1st Class Medical
ICAO level 4 Language Proficient
A Minimum of 1000 Hours Total Time

[email protected]
www.easternairways.com (http://www.easternairways.com)
+44 (0)1652 680 600
+4408703 669 909
send an email or your CV and covering letter to Steve Jenkins, Chief Pilot,

ITFC1
4th Jan 2011, 11:20
OK, thanks, wasnt sure if there was an advert out.

I sent my CV off, but nothing back.

I got 2400 TT, 600 Jet 1100 Turbine.

i do a communting contract and wish a UK based job.

CaptainSox
4th Jan 2011, 11:24
You should give them a call to make sure they recieved it.

For the J41 you pay 13K upfront and a further 8K line training bond. Or hopefully the Saab!!

Good Luck

ITFC1
4th Jan 2011, 11:27
I got the email saying they have received it, nothing further though.

thanks for the info on the costs.

I am looking for a job nearer home, and they have 2 bases within driving distance.

Just hope my CV is still in the pile.

Cheers

CaptainSox
4th Jan 2011, 11:31
With your hours I reckon they will just bond you for all me thinks! Coz you would be valuable to them for the Scatsta contracts.

I would still give them a call, nothing to loose.

CaptainSox
4th Jan 2011, 12:09
Yes good point. I do not know why. Perhaps generic advert or could be planning somthing.:ugh:

Dihaz
4th Jan 2011, 16:02
This advert is very old.
My advice don't go Eastern unless your moving up from a company below regional airline pay and t+c's.

Good Luck.

timzsta
4th Jan 2011, 17:28
I last sent a CV in at start of November. They replied if I hadn't heard anything by four months later to send another CV as they don't keep them longer then four months. Worth sending another one in?

CaptainSox
6th Jan 2011, 19:24
Why are they so bad? Can you elaborate for us Mr Kipling? Go on share with the group.:ok:

Cheers

horsebox
6th Jan 2011, 21:38
Just have a re-read of the past few pages.

Its all the same stuff, rosters, basing, lack of progression, t&c's in general and rosters again.

;)

Wodka
7th Jan 2011, 12:22
Has anyone been called for an interview / heard of anyone else attending? or do Eastern have enough in-house candidates to cover what's needed?

EK4457
7th Jan 2011, 13:12
A bit strange this one. Various sources seem to be certain they're recruiting, but they reply to incoming CVs with a standard 'not recruiting' email.

I think the 'in house applicants' theory is probably the best answer. Which, of course, they are perfectly entitled to do.

EK

Cloud Chaser
7th Jan 2011, 13:27
Any update on numbers heading to Jet2, the talk of a mass exodus seems to have gone very quiet?

Dihaz
7th Jan 2011, 19:48
There was no mass exodus, only 3 or 4. Jet2's offer left a lot to be desired to be honest.
Eastern is a good company (relatively speaking), just low pay and un-certian rostering.

taxi_driver
3rd May 2011, 16:39
Amidst the chaos of this outfit. Has anyone been for interview recently? Which fleets and bases were offered or talked about?

Has anyone non type rated been offered the Emb135 at interview stage?

CaptainSox
3rd May 2011, 17:48
Well they certainly wont be offering the Southampton base....cos that's closing again......again.......again!!

Relocate at your own expense, and they have just moved people down there two weeks ago!........Errr sorry were closing the base again and you have to move back to bandit country...IE Aberdeen or Wick. Or you can leave?

The choice is yours!

Thank you Eastern. :mad:

taxi_driver
3rd May 2011, 18:24
Well, SOU lasted about a month this time, 6 months the time before and a bit longer the time before that! Where the remenants of ASW fit in is anyones guess.

I cant work out if we are short of crew, or short of aircraft. I suspect we are short of aircraft, and crew hours are wasted shunting people around the country to get to them.

Really interested to hear what people are hearing at interview, the company strategy has become more and more bizarre in the last few months.

skyhigher
3rd May 2011, 18:38
surely with Easterns recent purchase of Air Southwest and the impending closure of Plymouth airport things are not well at Eastern?! Recruitment might not be needed!

Richard Taylor
3rd May 2011, 18:50
Well, I've heard Aberdeen called many things in my time but "bandit country" is a new one on me! Guess I'll need to round up the horses in case of an injun attack! :rolleyes:

CaptainSox
3rd May 2011, 18:51
Yeah surprised about the closure, since the numbers have been very good. Even crews being shunted off during positioning flights for passengers.

So I think they will be using the Saab on the SOU route because the numbers have been good but still no base.

But surely these Saab's are too busy on the IAC routes. And I hear that they have been getting into trouble by Chartering the standby Saab when it is supposed to be covering the other Saab's on IAC routes...Naughty Naughty!

What are they planning? Cant figure it out.

Someone must have some info.....:ok:

....Injun attack!! Yeah BMI:E

taxi_driver
3rd May 2011, 20:33
Bring your own benefits....

The more enterprising skippers have the "Five Hundred" club. I aint getting outa bed on my day off for anything less.

Calls to me when I'm off duty are normally ignored, but if you want a bit of sport answer not with hello, but "Sixty Quid Please", if they say no then hang up. Plan C is to buy a mag mount taxi cab sign and offer tourists a cut price airport transfer in the hire car.

What the ASW crews make of this Jumble sale of an airline is anyones guess.

I'm not sure what happened in Italy with the Embraer, anyone care to share?

Wetdream
4th May 2011, 16:10
Its no good I have to add to this thread :\

I don't know why Eastern pilots are always moaning.

You have the charter contract if you want to sign it which pays ... well nothing extra, but you get to spend 20 days away in a row in mediocre hotels (if crewing have remembered to book you one).

Also you get to drive all the latest very small cars when you are tired so you will get the feeling of how safe they are when you crash them. You get to test your stamina with maximum duty hours and sometimes more. You get the option to travel off roster when you have done too many hours.

Some perks other crews don't get include paying for your own train fares, hire car fuel, taxi's and mobile phone and only having to wait 3 months to get the money back. What other companies will refuse to pay you your night out allowances if you have been too busy to fill out the paperwork or just forgot because you are too busy trying to catch up with company paperwork on your occasional day off?

If you are lonely on your day off or rest period crewing are more than happy to ring and talk to you, as is the management and ops. You are never alone at Eastern!

You get to watch cabin crew in tears because they are tired or have just been told they aren't going to get home for their day off tomorrow.

Or gaze in awe as the bloke who owns the company takes his Spitfire for a circuit and burns more money in an hour in fuel than many of his employees earn in a week.

Then of course there are the crew meals, well the lack of them, at least you get to eat passenger left-overs if you are on a charter, something I am sure BA pilots dream about! Yummy!

So cheer up, things could be worse! Well when I say worse I mean better!

CaptainSox
4th May 2011, 21:37
B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L.... Very well said Wetdream.

I can confirm all of the above is true!

Only 3 months, that's really quick for Eastern!

Cheers.:ok:

Loose rivets
6th May 2011, 05:58
Who's running Eastern these days? I mean, hands on day-to-day running.

Wetdream
6th May 2011, 08:43
Hard to say really. The chief pilot down in Humberside seems to get involved in absolutely everything and trusts no one. He micro manages, but that's could be because 80% of the people in the building are overworked and / or undertrained and / or incompetent.

The people who actually make it all work are the crews. Working days off going into discretion etc. All for crap money.

macdo
6th May 2011, 11:22
Anyone who discredits the 'seniority system' (for all its faults) and BALPA (for all their faults) should read this thread.
Its been a ten year race to the bottom and Eastern, by the sounds of it, are very close to it.
My sympathies, but if you can get out, do, you will at least have a couple of years before you start to complain about the next employer!! We are all in the same boat, I just have a better quality cabin!!

Wetdream
7th May 2011, 14:24
I wonder if the owners read this forum?

As eastern for most isn't a career airline I think people just put up with it all and are wanting to leave.

Which is a dangerous situation; they are going to lose a lot of experience. That doesn't seem to bother the management too much. Just look at the two very experienced Saab pilots we lost this winter. Both nice guys too. Interestingly both prepared to speak up too. Obviously the management want yes men and women.

GMIMA
9th May 2011, 18:43
wow, things sound really bad at eastern!

When I first joined the company years back, the money was ok, expenses were paid on time and people were reasonably happy, we evern had a couple of pay rises (below inflation), an christmas bonus and bottle of wine sent for easter etc

Tracy was the crewing manager and was brilliant at helping people with days off and getting things done, but she ran the crewing dept by herself as the rest were a load of idiots who didnt have a frickin clue.

I was their for 3 years and left to fly jets, and oh boy am i glad i did!

I think if Ricky Lake actually knew how his airline was being run, im sure he would be shocked!

I wonder if they binned that little gobby baldy welsh guy it would be an ok place to work?

Wetdream
14th May 2011, 14:30
Latest rumours:

Abz will close as a jetstream base. Jobs been offered internally for all types. So it could mean a few jobs for new starters soon depending on what happens with crews been shifted around.

For any low houred new starts might be a start up on the ladder. It's crap but it's better than the dole, just.

adverse-bump
20th May 2011, 16:09
The e135 offer I got wasn't!

adverse-bump
25th May 2011, 17:10
Left, I know a few who said no to either seat

LGWXOPSA
29th May 2011, 17:17
Anybody know if Mat Herzberg (Ops manager) is still there??

taxi_driver
29th May 2011, 23:05
Oh Yes, Matthew is still about, every pilots friend, though not in the front line quite as much these days.

I'm just really surprised that Flybe havn't put serious effort into Aberdeen. - Double pronged approach - A recruitment roadshow at the Thistle, and a couple of east coast routes would prob90 fatally wound Eastern.

LGWXOPSA
1st Jun 2011, 15:10
Isn't he just!. Pilots, engineers and crewing, unless you worked in Ops, he didn't like you!!

Wetdream
2nd Jun 2011, 20:14
Maybe a pilot ran off with his girlfriend :)

Or perhaps he is a failed pilot.

Either way he has the inter-personal skills of a rabid dingo with pms. Still that means he fits in well at Eastern, I think he tries to follow in the owners footsteps.

Clueless is a term that sums up the office at Humberside.

21c Millworker
2nd Jun 2011, 23:03
There certainly doesn't seem to be much strategic planning of crew movements. Maybe if as much effort was put into that as there seems to be in chaos managing the schedule minute by minute, Lake could afford to give the crews a payrise with the money saved on hire cars and hotac.

Floppy Link
3rd Jun 2011, 11:47
Pennypinching - crew positioning to Stockholm for charter, fly to Stockholm? No, fly to Gothenburg and get the train!

Wetdream
7th Jun 2011, 21:12
Sounds like Eastern are trying to build up the charter side of their business. They already have some very high profile customers including premier football teams and rock bands.

Ironic that such well paid people are being flown around by demoralised over worked crews who are probably some of the lowest paid in Europe.

Anyhow back on topic, update your CVs another Embraer soon to be delivered and some of the guys who have been doing other jobs in the company are starting flying soon. Coupled with the fact that everyone in the company seems to have CVs in with other employers ready for the upturn there could be room for a few more mugs. :D

Jobs have been offered internally for fleet changes but as that entails a new bond many of us aren't interested.

CaptainSox
7th Jun 2011, 21:26
Yes they seem to be really pushing those charter contracts big time!

That is good news about the new EMB coming.

Could you possibly elaborate on that new bond you speak of ? I only ask because a friend may be starting with them soon and i'm a little skeptical.......well very!!

Cheers Wetdream:D

jamestkirk
8th Jun 2011, 11:05
They may be doing loads of charters but the question is are they making money. Anyone can sell a charter to Rome for £100 (that's an extreme comment but you know what i mean).

Wetdream
9th Jun 2011, 09:19
Captain sox.
They are trying to encourage pilots onto the embraer, I guess as mentioned above because they can't recruit externally because they don't offer anything like a realistic package.

Trouble is if you change onto the jet you have to agree to a bond. Some have accepted this just to get the jet time on their cvs and some have refused it because they are no longer bonded and feel they will be able to leave soon anyhow without jet time.

There are now very few bonded pilots at eastern. The place will probably empty if there is much movement in the employment Market this winter.

oapilot
14th Jun 2011, 17:10
Evening all.

Wondered if anyone could enlighten me about your duty pay:

Is it based on Fight Duty Hours or total Duty Hours?

If away from base overnight, do they (if its total duty based) pay it from when you first check in at your home base to when you arrive back at home base?

Do you get any other allowances away from base as standard eg per diems/meal allowances etc?

Think I can guess most of the answers, but as we're living in a world of guesswork, thought I'd see if I can find out some hard facts for a change.

Wetdream
16th Jun 2011, 10:20
It works out at about £1 an hour on duty.

If you have a night stop outside the UK then you get £25 a night, when I say 'you get' what I mean is you might get, if you keep nagging for it and you aren't too late putting your claim in.

Hope that helps.

oapilot
16th Jun 2011, 11:46
Thanks Wetdream.

Given the amount of time Eastern crew seem to spend living in hotels that's cr@p.
Pot Noodles and Alpen bars for tea then I guess.

Wetdream
4th Jul 2011, 10:05
Eastern are getting another embraer in the very near future it's all agreed apparently.

Also there is now a new charter contract which is just he sam as the old one apart from 16 days away rather than 20 all for no more money than someone who gets home every night. :)

Under crewed as usual

adverse-bump
5th Jul 2011, 00:00
Eastern crew get home every night?

We clearly getting messed around, I seem to be living in a certain scotish hotel at the mo, or waiting for taxis to take me to the wrong airport!

jamestkirk
8th Jul 2011, 07:56
I now cant remember/work-out, where I am actually based.

KLMF100poshboy
31st Oct 2011, 13:21
Slight change of direction....But...
Does anyone know who is in charge of recruitment, really in-charge, ie chief pilots assistant etc?!

Piloto2011
31st Oct 2011, 21:07
Can anyone shed some light on their recruitment plans? Cheers. :)

turbine100
2nd Jan 2013, 17:03
They have people in the hold people at the moment.

northern pie eater
29th Oct 2013, 07:58
Salary is correct, FO's salary starts low but increases with service and hours.
If you want to be a direct entry Capt you will need oil & gas hours which are 4k total time & 2k Pic (preferably multi crew) Many FO's at eastern ready for command but screwed by the oil & gas requirements. Present situation is that Logan may take many of the Abz based Saab crews...So there may be Abz based jobs soon. There are better jobs , but if you're desperate ;)
On a positive note, Non compliance with Hat wearing regulations seems to have been relaxed :eek:

jarvis123
29th Oct 2013, 12:47
What is the minimum MULTI CREW PIC, they will consider for oil and gas work, if someone applied to them with lots of single crew pic?

PaulW
29th Oct 2013, 20:01
I believe the hours requirements are to meet OGP / GDP which are 4000 total, 2500 PIC and 2000 MEPIC. FOs require 1000 total with 100 PIC. As stated previously there are many very capable and very experienced FOs in the company, with limited promotion opportunities due to the hours requirements above.

If you join as an FO expect to join the back of a long queue for command. If you're wanting to be a direct entry Captain, I hope you're very good, as you'll need to step up to match the quality of the FOs.

Whatever anybody says about the company and its conditions its a great first job for experience. When people leave, they all say they miss the camaraderie, which is missing in every company I can think that people have left to between the flight and cabin crew, who all muck in together at work and socially at Eastern. The crew are the biggest asset Eastern has.

Good luck to those that apply.

taz.devil
30th Oct 2013, 09:36
From UK Flights: Aberdeen, Cardiff, Leeds Bradford, Newcastle Flights | Eastern Airways (http://www.easternairways.com) career page,

'ATTENTION: There is currently a scam running regarding job vacancies. It has been brought to our attention that a company is posing as Eastern Airways' and posting job vacancies for people to join the Eastern Airways team. They are primarily aimed at Non UK Citizens. As part of the process the company asks for visa details and payment.
DO NOT respond to any job vacancy adverts if they ask you to send the application to [email protected]'

Happy Wanderer
31st Oct 2013, 18:09
So let me get this right (and assuming the info on PPJN is up-to-date and correct)....for a newbie FO it's basically a SSTR costing 13k for the J41 or £15k for the S2000, in return for a starting salary of £21k? That's for a full 12 months salary, right......???

mad_jock
31st Oct 2013, 19:06
Most don't start at those levels as there was an hours increment.

So every 500 hours total time you get an extra lump.

Every 500 turbine time you get an extra lump.

Every 6 months you get additional service lump

So if you start with 1000 hours through instructing you already have 2 increments which were about 1500 extra.

Then in 6 months you would get another 600 odd.

If you were at a high hours base you were getting 1 TT and 1 turbine increments and 2 service one year and then next 2 total, 2 turbine and 2 service the next.

So the pay went up quite rapidly.

So you would never be on that starting salary for more than 6 months.

For all the faults of Eastern its a brilliant start to your career. Yes you will be shafted by crewing and get mucked around a lot for what seems to be low pay. But it is a job, you do get trained well, there are some nice folk work for Eastern and the pay gets OK within 24 months.

There are lots of ex eastern out there and most more than likely would never go back. But I am sure all of them will admit they had some good times and some good training when they were there.

Happy Wanderer
31st Oct 2013, 19:20
Thanks MJ.

radudumb
3rd Nov 2013, 18:07
Hello guys, do you know any email address where to send an application for Eastern? I've send 10 emails to [email protected] and no reply.
I'm saab 2000 TR FO 1200 hrs on type 1400 TT and as I read on this forum they are looking for pilots.
Thanks

No Country Members
4th Nov 2013, 11:34
It may well be stating the obvious, but Loganair are about to start operating 3 Saab 2000s. They might reply to your emails.

radudumb
4th Nov 2013, 19:27
Thanks, I know, actually they will start with the aircraft I delivered to NAC. EX Carpatair - SBD, SFB, SBJ. Perhaps they are not replying because of my nationality; or I should just wait. Will see.

covec
16th Nov 2013, 00:42
radudumb:

Are there any regional operators in Eastern Europe who will take wannabee FOs?

I have 850 hours - current MEIR/MCC? Brit born & bred. Cannae get a look in anywhere in my northern home country...

radudumb
18th Nov 2013, 11:11
covec

No, Eastern European regional airlines and not only regional are trying to compete with Wizz air....but no chance.
So for the moment no positions available in the dark side of EUROPE (Eastern) except Wizz, but who knows...maybe in the future.

inaki
18th Nov 2013, 19:42
What kind of pilots are they looking for? Do you have to live in the UK to be considered?

OAJ
27th Nov 2013, 18:19
Hey guys,
I will be doing an interview at Eastern Airways soon. I am looking for somebody who is currently flying or has flown for Eastern Airways and who can tell me more about the application. Like what kind of questions do they ask in the personal and flight technical interview? I found on the web that they ask questions about aerodynamics and icing.
If somebody has more detailed information about their requiting process and interview questions I would be very pleased if you could let me know!
Thanks in advance

Ethiopia
4th Dec 2013, 05:09
Eastern Airways awarded contract in France (http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/europe/item/936-eastern-airways-awarded-contract-in-france)

wordyuk
31st Jan 2014, 18:27
Anyone know which aircraft are based where at Eastern?

LNIDA
2nd Feb 2014, 19:15
They are normally based somewhere else the minute you move there,canal barge or caravan a good option

turbine100
2nd Feb 2014, 20:25
Happy wanderer

You also need to factor in the 8K base training bond, on top of the type rating cost. On that basis, you might as well pay for a type rating on a more popular type and jet, like the airbus instead. Eastern will pay a crap salary, no benefits and base you in Wick for starting out.

WX Man
7th Feb 2014, 13:31
Do they recognise a pilots union? If not, is there much of a move afoot to get BALPA or the IPA recognised?

I'm sorry but if people are unhappy about their T&Cs, and they are not members of a union, then they don't have my sympathy.

Also, I know that T&Cs can be poor at Eastern, but having spoken to folk who work (and have worked) for Eastern, I can say that they are not the worst in the industry. For the worst, you have to go to crappy GA operators who have a very sharp pencil and a liberal eraser when it comes to recording duty times. Eastern wouldn't get away with half of the stuff that goes on everyday in GA, and gives GA a bad name.

cavortingcheetah
7th Feb 2014, 13:57
The ethos of the company has changed a great deal since the early days when it was a great little airline. Now it's not such a little airline but, apparently, not very great. Still, it's a stepping stone company, which is something management knows perfectly well. If you've got nothing in the way of time or experience then you've got little to lose and if there's £8k in the training bond and you did get a better job offer, in other words a jet regional offer, you'd be able to pay back the bond pretty quickly anyway.
The sort of question I'd be asking is how well Eastern trained pilots are regarded in the industry for ongoing recruitment and how easy it is to leave Eastern before the expiration of any bond, always provided you're prepared to pay back the balance.
So, what's your contract of employment and how much notice do you have to provide.
I'd also want to have a look at the record of the Chief Pilot and/or Ops Manager. Rostering and Crewing will be there to make your lives miserable but these two guys can make it hell, depending on them, themselves. I know a couple of good guys who've left in the last few years because of problems along the above hinted lines but personnel may have changed.
You'd also benefit from knowing how tight the Chief Pilot at Eastern was with, say, his equivalent at Easy or anywhere else that might be a future stepping stone. One telephone call can wreck your onward chances good and proper.
There you go, a little complex and gratuitous advice.
Good luck.
O yes, if you've got that Cathay Pacific interview book committed to memory and Volume 1 of the Jeppesen Manual, you should be well enough prepared provided you bone up on the technicals of the aircraft you're currently flying, even if it's a Baron and also on the type and fleet you're looking to join.

Ethiopia
7th Feb 2014, 20:32
Bristow Helicopters Invests in Eastern Airways (http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/europe/item/1004-bristow-invests-in-eastern-airways)

cavortingcheetah
7th Feb 2014, 21:29
Perhaps the pilots, as well as the technicians, at Bristows have union representation which Eastern pilots could now use to their advantage?
It might require a brave soul to start off the enquiries though.

Ethiopia
18th Mar 2014, 08:26
Eastern Airways increases Saab 2000 fleet (http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/europe/item/1045-eastern-airways-increases-saab-2000-fleet)

kick the tires
18th Mar 2014, 15:41
by one ....!

420 HB
23rd Mar 2016, 01:41
Can anyone share what the current state of recruitment is at Eastern? Are they losing crew to the jet operators? Also what does the assessment day involve, particularly the exam papers? Any up to date info gratefully received.

Beyfan
23rd Mar 2016, 21:34
I believe there is a mass exodus going on at the moment to all pastures greener.

HeartyMeatballs
23rd Mar 2016, 21:43
There's always a mass exodus apparently, same with another northern airline. In reality though...

mikehammer
31st Mar 2016, 17:10
I was at a leaving do recently for an outgoing Loganair pilot. I've been gone a year. Half the crew were new faces. Management looks radically different too. Leavers are joining FlyDubai, BA, Thomson, Jet2 mostly. One went to FlyBe, one to Ryanair. If not a mass exodus, the training department must be busy at least!

jamestkirk
1st Apr 2016, 11:06
i don't think mass exodus explains accurately what is happening at Eastern.

Try this instead;

Imagine a zombie film where someone is running from a great many of those rabid, relentless but extremely professional zombies with a can do attitude, who want to catch and devour said person so that they can be cured from the horrific zombie affliction.

The person is called 'pilot jobs', the zombies are 'eastern airways flight crew' and the affliction is 'terms and conditions'.

Hope this makes things a bit clearer.

PapaEchoNovember
7th May 2016, 07:45
Is anyone aware of the recruitment situation at Eastern, at the moment? PPJN seems to indicate they will be actively recruiting soon, if not already.
I have 400TT with 200 Heavy Turboprop, I've sent my CV but no reply (not even acknowledgement of receipt, but I guess this may be because I don't meet the 1000TT requirement, although I thought I might stand a chance with the market the way it is at the moment)

Thanks in advance :)

mockingjay
24th Sep 2016, 08:02
Anyone know what the time to command is like in T3? Are there long waiting lists for MME/NCL?

I've got about 3000 medium jet FO experience and I'm looking at getting closer to home. I see on the recruitment website that captains need 2500 of which 1500 must be multi time however it doesn't specify what command hours are required.

So I have this already. Obviously I couldn't join as a direct entry captain but realistically how long would I be looking at?

I know the money is less but it's on my doorstep so well worth it. Would I be nuts to give up a jet job (with zero command prospects close to home unless I want to spend six plus years in London) for the chance of a TP command relatively quicker?

Ryan2811
5th Oct 2016, 21:12
Please could a current Eastern 145 pilot pm me. I'm presently flying a Legacy 650 and have a few questions about joining the company on the Emb145 fleet.

RAFAT
7th Oct 2016, 18:15
Ryan2811 - Promotion to the 145 is internal only, rated or not.

jamestkirk
11th Oct 2016, 09:34
If you have a PPL and a pulse you'll probably get in. I hear they are a bit short.

donogca
11th Oct 2016, 21:56
Anybody starting in November? PM me

Professor Plum
13th Oct 2016, 10:33
Hi Guys,

Would somebody be kind enough to post (or PM) current Captains pay, on both Jetstream and Saab fleets please, as well as Flight pay?

I've seen PPJN, but those figures are a few years old now. Just curious how long you would stay on the base pay/what are the increments like?

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

SpannerInTheWerks
15th Oct 2016, 18:24
If you have a PPL and a pulse you'll probably get in. I hear they are a bit short.

Not that short it seems as a friend of mine, who adequately meets all their requirements, has had no response at all ... ?!

PilotJobsNetwork.com 'Hiring anyone with over 1000tt of which around 500 multi engine' - not true (see above).

SeventhHeaven
15th Oct 2016, 19:16
Close friend of mine got hired by them over summer - she applied straight out of training. UK native though.

hobbit1983
16th Oct 2016, 13:33
I know of three people recently taken on, at least two of them with minimal hours overall.

magicmick
17th Oct 2016, 06:44
Were those that were taken on with below the published minimum hours either already working for Eastern in another capacity, well connected to senior people within Eastern or recommended by senior people within Eastern?

I don't have the 1000 hour minimum but slapped in my CV several weeks ago and have heard nothing.

hobbit1983
17th Oct 2016, 11:53
I don't know; but not working for them already. I'd be surprised if at least one of them had connections.

SpannerInTheWerks
17th Oct 2016, 11:59
I know of three people recently taken on, at least two of them with minimal hours overall.

Maybe it's an age thing ... ? my mate is getting on ... !!!

WX Man
18th Oct 2016, 12:58
Are all the new hires for ABZ? Any other bases available?

flyasthesky
3rd Aug 2019, 11:56
Hello,

I would be very grateful if anyone could shed some light on the recruitment process in 2019, interview questions etc?

Thank you