PDA

View Full Version : Icing and Freezing levels

rotorque
14th Sep 2008, 12:31
Hi all,

Just after input from others regarding operations in and around freezing levels etc.....

It's not often, but where I work in Oz, the freezing level can get down to around 4500 to 5000 ft. Our usual LSALT is 5900 ft, so I have found myself wondering if I can conduct our operations during these times.

The aircraft I fly is not certified for icing conditions......

So.....

Can I legally fly above the icing level?
Can I assume there is no risk of icing if there is no visible moisture?
Do I pull the pin on a job when the icing level gets down to 6000 ft.....?

Thanks for you input in advance.

Cheers

spinwing
14th Sep 2008, 14:07
Mmmmmm ...

Sounds like Melbourne..... be careful very careful.

Obviously the METARs and TAFS become important... you cannot fly in known Icing so ... if you cannot go VFR think about not going ...no shame attached.

Unlike an aeroplane you will not have anti-icing available so thinking you can climb above a freezing level and be safe is not healthy .... and remember you might have to descend thru the icing to recover ....

If the job is Melbourne and the a/c is a 412 OEI ops might mean depending on the situ you might NOT be able to maintain OEI flt at 5900' anyway.

I am sure your Chief Pilot will have the official company requirements for the task.

Canuck Guy
14th Sep 2008, 14:29
Can I legally fly above the icing level?

Yes, so long as there's no visible moisture.

Can I assume there is no risk of icing if there is no visible moisture?
Should be okay.

Do I pull the pin on a job when the icing level gets down to 6000 ft.....?

With a 100' margin for error, I'd stay on the ground.

ramen noodles
14th Sep 2008, 15:18
Flying in visible moisture below +2 deg C is flying in Icing conditions, according to the FAA and certainly according to the accident board, should you not make it home.

spinwing
14th Sep 2008, 18:33
I have also seen Icing levels in Melbourne down below 3500' during the winter .... invariably this can end up making you do the VFR/VMC chicken run thru the Kilmore Gap just to keep the heart rate under control ....

And of course the ability to climb above icing or whether you should do so is dependant on what you have to come back down through on the way down again .... and of course the cloud base ...

Caution is the key .... :ooh: