PDA

View Full Version : Posting delay

Dagger-D
2nd Jun 2001, 02:51
Probably a simple explanation but...

Why is it whenever I post on Pprune, if I go back to the thread to check that the text arrived ok, hey presto its never there!!

Checking the reply counter, it shows an increment of one (I assume it's my post) plus, the thread moves to the top of the pile, but I still can't see my post.

So, I leave the site completely and come back later. Sometimes it's there, others it's not.

It may take a few hours to appear!

In the mean time others have responded to the point that was being made when i sent my post in.

Whats going on? Are the posts vetted in real time, then submitted later?

Any info appreciated.

Cheers

Keep the shiny side up....unless positioning!

FlyingGiraffe
2nd Jun 2001, 03:16
It's most likely to do with the way your web browser caches pages... or you may be connected to PPRuNe via a proxy server, which does the same thing for you.

You can try to resolve the problem by changing how Internet Explorer (assuming you're using it) caches pages... check out Tools/Internet Options/Settings... and change the option to "Every visit to the page".

Note that you may need the help of this thread:
http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/Forum35/HTML/000993.html
if you've got a screwy browser somehow.

Or, to force the browser to grab a single page from the web server, right-click on the page, hold down Control and select Refresh from the pop-up menu.

Hope that helps...

tony draper
2nd Jun 2001, 03:20
Try clicking on your refresh button,works for me.

lame
2nd Jun 2001, 03:34
I had the same trouble often on PPRuNe, used to hit the refresh/reload button as someone has already said, but NOW it all works fine, thanks to FlyingGiraffe, try as he suggests.............

------------------
"I USED to be a PPRuNaholic, but now I'm CURED"

Dagger-D
16th Jun 2001, 14:43
Flying G,

Well, a combination of the refresh button and the update each visit setting seemed to help. There is still short delay, I'm sure it could be for a whole number of reasons, but its useable now, thanks.

While I think about it, does anyone know who the hell oz.valueclick are and why they want me to download a file from them every time I visit pprune?

OzPax1
16th Jun 2001, 18:21
Sometimes the bigger ISP's also catche popular pages. A way around their catche is too type /? after the URL (the bit in the address bar at the top of the page), this forces IE to look for the latest page from the requested sites server and NOT your ISP's catche.

Hope that helps.

OzPax1 http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/cool.gif