PDA

View Full Version : Engineering - am I choosing the right direction?

Joe.B
14th Sep 2008, 09:40
Hey guys :)

I've been browsing around this forum for a while, and I've been looking for an answer and I can't seem to find one, I was hoping someone here could help.

Last year I applied for the Virgin Apprenticeship - 4 Year course inteding to gain the B2 license to work on aircraft avionics. However, I was unsucessful with my application - I think it was because I was already 1 year half way through a computer course that I am currently doing. However that's in the past now!

In my course which is a Btec National I am achieving Distinction grades, and providing I continue I shall achieve DDD which is equivilent to AAA in A-Levels thus resulting in 360 Ucas Points.

Now, because I'm talking about Ucas Points you can imagine my intention is to progress onto University after my course. THIS (http://www.kingston.ac.uk/aero/) is the course I am looking to do in order to get closer to what was involved in the Virgin Apprenticeship. It's Aerospace Engineering.

The problem that I am wondering about is whether I am going in the right direction? from a very young age I've been interested in aviation so its definatley something I've always wanted to do from heart. I was hoping that someone here could shed the light on what they have done (or know someone) in order for them to become an avionic engineer.

Oh and I've been looking at the Royal Air Force Avionics Engineer, but I'm not sure thats the direction I'm wanting to take - I'd much more prefer it being 'normal'.

Replies are really appriciated. Thank you.

NutLoose
14th Sep 2008, 15:09
I was going to say try the Academy at Newcastle, My Sisters lad is on his course there for a B1, but their site says go to Bristol as they do not offer it, here is the link and the INFO, unfortunately I do not know much about Bristol, but someone in here may................

whatever, Good Luck and I hope you get your dream :)

Kingston University - Newcastle Aviation Academy (http://www.newcastleaviation.co.uk/natdipa.htm)

B1.3 Drifter
16th Sep 2008, 13:27
If you are after advice on starting a career in the engineering side of aviation, you'd be better off putting this post on Aircraft Engineers Bulletin Board - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.airmech.co.uk/forums/index.php)

Almost everybody on Airmech is an engineer where as here, on PPrune, there are not so many

Vortechs Jenerator
18th Sep 2008, 20:50
Yes, pay £10 to airmech to see the same 5 out of scores of engineers posting piss:}

I'd say don't beat yourself to death trying to decide, if you feel it (b2 eng) is the way to go then do it. It's a rewarding well enough payed career that you can diversify from in the future if you need to

jhangiani
18th Sep 2008, 21:21
joe b there are a few options open to you in gaining your B2 Licence

1.) Try and gain access into a decent company 145 approved and try the self study route, this is the more difficult option as generally now because of the economic climate companies are watching their purse strings, but that said, Ryan Air are currently recruiting non-licensed personnel in view to get ready for the new hangar @ Stanstead and expected future ordered aircraft.

2.) You could go into fulltime study as people have already advised, such 147 colleges such as Bristol, Kingston which do a 3 year degree which also includes the EASA Part 66 B1 or B2 licence / or perth in Scotland which runs similar courses.

And perhaps if you live near a local airfield, light aircraft that is, you could maybe phone a local flying school and perhaps volunteer your services 1 day per week, I know you might think that that sounds crazy, but when i started out i did exactly that as i am sure many other Engineers did and it really gave me a grounding in my career direction.

All in all Joe b whatever your passion and Ambition is go for it, but it will be hard, unless you are privillaged with money, as there is alot of hardwork to be put in studying and paying the bills, some Engineers may tell you this, but all in all, the rewards at the end are worth it and you will meet alot of friends on the way.

I wish you well on your journey as it were:ok: