PDA

View Full Version : Chinook tales ?

stilton
14th Sep 2008, 07:13
I read the recent narrative of the RAF Chinook crew with much interest and admiration for their professionalism and bravery.

I just finished 'Chickenhawk' which was excellent, anyone know of any non fiction tales with the mighty Chinook in the story ?

Carbide Finger
14th Sep 2008, 08:04
Chinook! by David McMullon

ISBN - 978-0684840178

Roger the cabin boy
14th Sep 2008, 18:52
I really wouldn't.........

TwistedToFit
14th Sep 2008, 19:44
Try "Operation Certain Death" by Damien Lewis.

Pure Pursuit
14th Sep 2008, 20:05
Operation Certain Death is a good read.

Chinook! is, well it's a bag of nails really and I wouldn't bother with it.

Evalu8ter
14th Sep 2008, 20:13
I quite agree with "Chinook!", an appalling book...
What really needs to be written is Volume 2 of the RAF Helicopter history; it would cover NI, FRY, Falklands,Gulf, Sierra Leone, Rhodesia/Zimbabwe, Belize and AFG etc etc. More importantly, it would give due reference to other RW types, some of which (such as Walter) never really got into the headlines. Plus, if permitted, it could delve into some of the procurement issues since the early 70's and the politics (eg JHC).

I could probably spare a couple of years to write it......

TheWestCoast
14th Sep 2008, 22:59
Operation Certain Death!?

YMBKM!

If you want to read hundreds of pages of weakly reconstructed "squaddie speak" go right ahead. It's an appalling book, almost unreadable tosh from cover to cover.:yuk:

Tandemrotor
14th Sep 2008, 23:03
Evalu8ter
I could probably spare a couple of years to write it.

Then why don't you?

That way, you might be better placed to criticise those that have. :rolleyes:

In his time in the RAF, FS DM saw, and did things, that very few others have. He never intended to write about his experiences. However a chance meeting lead to him being introduced to a publisher who thought his story was well worth telling.

Sales figures would tend to suggest they were correct. Financially it proved well worth his while, and I don't suppose he gives a stuff what anyone thinks.

Go on. Show us how easy it is. Get your own 'riveting' story published. :E

Evalu8ter
15th Sep 2008, 09:50
TR,
If you took the time to read my post you would realise that I had no intention of writing my own "riveting story", in fact, just the opposite. What I said was that there is a dearth of good quality, academically rigourous work regarding RAF RW aviation. What we're left with is individuals' vantage points - some of them very skewed and less than representative. My comment on DM's book was my opinion, freely expressed. I felt it was very biased in his attitude and approach to the (then) gulf (pardon the pun) that was perceived to exist between the SF and SH factions at Odi. Nobody denies he had a story to sell, oops, tell, but it cannot be regarded as an authoritative text on Chinook ops. It is very useful at propping up my table though....

c130jbloke
15th Sep 2008, 10:53
Have to agree that "Chinook" was utter bollocks and the book about Op Palliser was not much better. Seem to recall that "Chinook" was mostly about Dave McM whingeing that he was not a pilot ?? As I said, crap book read a long time ago....:ugh:

animo et fide
15th Sep 2008, 13:24
From one within the mighty Chinny wing, things are quite different since Dave's time and alot of his stories are of others not necessarily his!

Culio
15th Sep 2008, 18:46
How about that book......erm, Apache?

It's not about Chinook ops of course, but it's still a military heli :)

I can't remember the authors name, but I saw it in WHSmith lol.

Winch-control
16th Sep 2008, 11:33
Chinook Tales?
Aern't they all contra rotating egg whisks without tails?:D