PDA

View Full Version : Indonesia im coming!!

chrislikesblue
13th Sep 2008, 22:40
Anyone knows if there is job opportunities in Indonesia?Im planning to make a trip in Jakarta in search of jobs,there is so many companies there,i guess with a bit of luck i might be able to get a chance.Do they hire foreigners or is it banned to hire foreigners like some other countries in Asia?Any recommendations where to stay ,im not looking for Hilton type of hotel,something affordable.
Many thanks for your assistance,if anyone who s there would like to meet for a drink would be great!

Jango
15th Sep 2008, 08:13
hello mate, there are many aviation companies here, a few employ expatriates but not many, depends if you are flight crew or engineering or ops etc.

I would say any of the Ibis chain of hotels is a good cheap n cheerful place to stay, if you want to be closer to the airports go for Ibis Slipi

good luck

mingalababya
15th Sep 2008, 11:02
There's a job advertised recently on climbto350.com for DC3 training captains. I'm not joking either .. it definitely says DC3!! :eek:

samfisher
15th Sep 2008, 13:15
Try www.lonelyplanet.com (http://www.lonelyplanet.com)

extremely useful whenever i go travelling

Jango
16th Sep 2008, 03:58
DC3 crews ... got to be some somewhere looking for a job? no retirement age issues here!

Jango
16th Sep 2008, 04:00
BTW chrislikesblue - if you go to wikipedia you can list all indonesian airlines, gives you some good contact info and fleet lists so you can see who has what

kwaiyai
17th Sep 2008, 13:35
There is also a Cargo op in Puerto Rico Mingalababya that Fly the Gooney. Dont knock it its a fun plane,,

mingalababya
17th Sep 2008, 14:25
There is also a Cargo op in Puerto Rico Mingalababya that Fly the Gooney. Dont knock it its a fun plane,,

kwaiyai, sa bai dee mai? ... I'm not knocking the DC3 ... just making a point that Indonesian operators continue to use old aircraft in their operations.

Cubs2jets
17th Sep 2008, 18:19
While Indonesian operators DID for many years operate hand-me-down equipment, I think a lot has changed in the past few years. The Job offer on Climbto350 was for a DC-3 TURBOPROP Training Captain.

A DC-3 is a DC-3 and will never wear out. A Basler BT-67 is completely IRAN'd to very close to new condition. I'd love to take the job if I had the rating...

chrislikesblue - I think you will find it difficult to secure a job in Indonesia unless you have something really special and specific to offer. Indonesian Aviation is very protective of its' own and not really open to non-Indonesians.

Good Luck!

C2j

Jango
18th Sep 2008, 07:32
Indonesia is trying hard to bring their aviation standards (both engineering and operationally) up to international levels. The fact that I have new Airbus aircraft in my fleet and my competitors just took delivery of more new A319s and the fact an Indonesian airline was launch airline for 737-900 shows they are trying to change for the better, even if it is very very slowly!

There are a number of us 'bules' working in Indonesian aviation, so it is not closed to foreigners and I would not say they protect their own any more than any other country, but a foreigner is going to cost a local company here a lot of money in tax, housing and USD salaries so naturally they want value for money. (ask any expat in the middle east the same question about local protection). If you have something they need, they will bring you in and the packages here can be competitive.

barrybeebone
19th Sep 2008, 12:00
Chrislikeblue

I have to agree with Jango and Cubs2jets Indonesian operators do want something very specific if they are going to hire a foreigner. The alternative is that you will probably be on local wages...not sure what they are but not much.

One airline I do know that has a couple of "Bule's" (means whitey - it is what they call westerners) is Lion Air. I believe they have a finance manager from abroad and one or two others. Mandala does also as they have an english CEO and others. Even still I assume these people all had something special to offer the airlines they work for.

I would also like to try my luck here. I currently work in Indonesia but my contract finishes mid 09. I am not a pilot but by mid next year will have three and a half years experience working with in Indonesian aviation on mainly security projects, but also safety and many other issues relating to competition, ATC's and environmental issues.I can speak bahasa, know many people in DGCA and at various airports.

If anyone has or knows of anything, let me know through PM.

Before anyone makes a crack on security and safety in Indonesia. I can say that things have changed. It may not be at the pace that we are used to in western countries but they are changing. The other thing I would say is that you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink!