PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about becoming a pilot

starbuck123
13th Sep 2008, 19:09
Just found a link on this site that gives an "introduction to flying" for £482 on a simulator. Anyone think its a good idea or can start me off in another direction?

Thanks

Aerospace101
13th Sep 2008, 20:04
Try a trial flight lesson on a light aircraft at your nearest aerodrome. ~£100 :ok:

Then maybe try the full flight simulator...

Deano777
14th Sep 2008, 01:05
How about

Forget the £482 for the simulator, that is 4hrs in your logbook towards your PPL, seriously, I spent £600 for an hour in a BA777 at Cranebank years ago, great experience, but a serious waste of resource if you want to start flying.

Sagey
14th Sep 2008, 02:53
Pop down to your local airfield and have a discussion with the schools rearding trial flights and training information. I wouldn't do the sim flight, if aviation is what you want to do one thing is for certain it will cost you. Your £450 odd will just about cover your intial class one medical not including travelling expenses.

PosClimb
14th Sep 2008, 14:14
Pop down to your local airfield and have a discussion with the schools rearding trial flights and training information.

And don't forget to ask about the 'pilot shortage' for some inspiration!

WindSheer
14th Sep 2008, 14:18
Just found a link on this site that gives an "introduction to flying" for £482 on a simulator. Anyone think its a good idea or can start me off in another direction?

Going on the basic question, you don't have enough knowledge to appreciate what the sim has to offer.
Get up in a light a/c, and see what its really all about bopping about in the chop!

Good luck:ok:

starbuck123
14th Sep 2008, 19:17
Does anyone know if East Midlands Airport has a flying school??

CAT3C AUTOLAND
15th Sep 2008, 10:07
I had a couple of mates that have learnt at East Mids. Have a look on the net.

Also you find a lot of schools do PPL starter packages for around 500 quid, which usually comprises of 5 hours flying, so that may be worth thinking about.

AlphaMale
15th Sep 2008, 10:10
If you're looking to take a flight in the midlands then Atlantic Flight Training - Home (http://www.flyaft.com) might be an idea?

Another TD
15th Sep 2008, 18:25
I am lucky enough to have access to full flight sim's and have to say if you have never flown you cannot beat going to your nearest aerodrome and go for 1 hours flight (approx £130) in a light a/c,its real and great fun plus you can log that hour. Learning to fly is a great adventure,simulators are fun for a while only.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
15th Sep 2008, 20:09
Another TD, sims are no fun when 6 months is up, and you are flying for an airline! :eek:

tim79
16th Sep 2008, 11:39
starbuck123 - East Midlands certainly does have a flying school; have a look at www.donair.co.uk (http://www.donair.co.uk) . I've done 6 hrs with them so far; the instructors/staff have been really helpful and they even have the good manners not to scream at the impact testing I conduct on their fleet of 152s (I think I've heard others refer to it as "landing"). Just don't look at the air law book first - it'll scare the life out of you!!!

starbuck123
17th Sep 2008, 19:47
thanks for the link, I shall take a look. If I decide to go ahead and get my licence what jobs are there I could work to before I can get a commercial licence?

Troy McClure
18th Sep 2008, 16:52
You can't fly for hire or reward on a PPL.

You'll need a CPL (and realistically an Instructor's Rating and/or Instrument Rating and Multi-Crew Co-operation Course) before you can get a flying job.