PDA

View Full Version : do pilots have beards?

Nashers
13th Sep 2008, 19:58
right guys. might sound like a silly question but during my training and some people ive come accross in the industry, ive not met any pilots with beards (a good thing if they are female i guess!)

so my question is how many of you guys out there have or know of pilots flying with beards, moustache's, goatees or any other facial hair.

ive got a goatee which i will miss if i have to get rid or it, but ive heard its for safty reason for when you put on the oxygen masks in an emergency. i know you should have a good seal around your face, but how much can a few whiskers affect it?

looking forward to replys
many thanks in advanced.

PS i know its in the rumours and news area but i would like people already in the industry to reply. mods, feel free to move it to a more suitable forum if required.

x213a
13th Sep 2008, 20:03
Pablo Mason:ok:

http://http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10_01/masonDM0510_228x356.jpg

luvly jubbly
13th Sep 2008, 20:03
Do pilots have beards?

Not all of them!

Hell Hole
13th Sep 2008, 20:06
I have a 'Dave Grohl' & many guys (+ 1 girl) have them in the airline I work for!

Roy Bouchier
13th Sep 2008, 20:06
I did for 30 years. No problem!

timzsta
13th Sep 2008, 20:08
CFI has a beard. So do I, so does one of my colleagues. And the CFI of the club next door.

The reason is we are paid so little we can't afford the shaving cream.

POL.777
13th Sep 2008, 20:10
Is this really something for rumours & news?

DCS99
13th Sep 2008, 20:19
All Female pilots I know don't have beards.

Does this help?

Maude Charlee
13th Sep 2008, 20:20
Plenty of beardy pilots. Most drive diesels, enjoy caravaning holidays and drink beer with twigs in it, but they're still nice enough people.

The whole O2 mask thing probably came from the military. Just an excuse for those small-chinned senior officer types to do away with the stuff they don't like. No problem at all in civil aviation, especially as most modern masks in modern jet types are of the full face mask variety.

If a full seal was a concern, we would have no pilots with big ears or noses, not beards. ;)

stansdead
13th Sep 2008, 20:23
DCS99,

What airline do you work for? No bearded women pilots?

How does one join? What a perk!!

Shunter
13th Sep 2008, 20:46
2 casual observations from days gone by...

1) When I grew a beard at university, casual sex disappeared almost overnight.
2) Every beard-wearer I've ever worked with has been a compulsive liar.

Beards are quite useful for storing bits of the previous meal, and for getting you a bottle of cider when you're actually only 16. Once over the age of, say, 30... you don't want a facial appendage which makes you look older. The only benefit is the reaction you get when you shave the damn thing off...

AltFlaps
13th Sep 2008, 21:02
The only benefit I can see to wearing a beard is that if you're peckish about mid morning, you can pluck out the remains of breakfast to tide you over until lunch...

Beardy = Weirdy (don't get it - generalising horribly of course)

Capt.Paul Skinback
13th Sep 2008, 21:05
Isn't Mrs Gordon Brown a 'beard'? Not sure has any wings though...

manrow
13th Sep 2008, 21:06
The answer to your question Nashers, is that REAL pilots don't have beards! Especially goatee ones.

captplaystation
13th Sep 2008, 21:58
Some female pilots have beards, it's just that you need to spend a day on the beach or a night in the sack to find out which ones.

AKAFresh
13th Sep 2008, 22:15
I cant believe what I'm reading here! Ok iv not seen many pilots have breads but iv seen many who have goatees and if it is well maintained and trimmed then theres no problem at all!

For cabin crew things are often more tightly controlled as they deal face to face with the public, facial hair is more of a sensitive issue. The male cabin crew also have problems with this too! :eek: ok you get my point. :)

The plain fact is that if you choose to have a goatee make sure it looks professional at the same time. There are some airlines that strictly forbid facial hair for both cabin and flight deck crew. Weather its right or wrong is a different matter.

As for 'shunters' comments well I'm sensing a bit of denial there... perhaps it was something else that let you down!... excuse the PUN or not!

Arm out the window
14th Sep 2008, 00:23
Lots of naval aviators like the facial fungus, having requested permission to stop shaving. Arrrr!

LordGrumpy
14th Sep 2008, 00:57
do pilots have beards

Essential for keeping the chin warm, when holding the string of a kite

Howard Hughes
14th Sep 2008, 01:02
Only the ugly ones!:E

B737 200 Smoker
14th Sep 2008, 03:44
In my part of the world it is very common. Malaysia airlines has several pilots with beards especially Indian origin.
As a American pilot , I never could have one but no hang ups here in Asia. B737 200 Smoker

arcniz
14th Sep 2008, 04:00
Some female pilots have beards, it's just that you need to spend a day on the beach or a night in the sack to find out which ones.

If this is requiring an entire night, some retraining appears to be in order!

(perhaps more time in the sim.)

Brian Abraham
14th Sep 2008, 04:21
Don't all pilots wear beards?
http://i101.photobucket.com/albums/m56/babraham227/t0001-1.jpg

Nashers
14th Sep 2008, 04:36
thanks for all the info guys.

i see some people have stated that their company does not allow them to have face hair.

if any of you work for a company that does not allow this could you please state which one and their reasons?

just want to know if its a geographical trend or other and their thinking behind the policy.

again, many thanks.

Loose rivets
14th Sep 2008, 04:39
i know you should have a good seal around your face,

I know that it's inevitable that pilots blow a seal from time to time, but look old chap, we usually keep quiet about it.

condorbaaz
14th Sep 2008, 05:59
Plenty of sikh pilots who have beards, moustaches and retain the hair on their head. As a part of religious belief.

Kenneth Cole’s new face Asian Window (http://asianwindow.wordpress.com/2008/02/02/kenneth-coles-new-face/)

yeah turban and all as well.

I spoke to one, querying about Oxy MAsk in Emerg decomp.

Says a matter of routine to pull of the turban and put the mask on...

or fly long haul in small turban/ bandana

BladePilot
14th Sep 2008, 10:53
Back in my Navy days we had to have permission not to shave (the face!). Always had to have a clean shaven face when doing the old damage control training to ensure a clean seal (not grey or californian variety!) around the face (Mmm is that perhaps where the Americans got the name for their elite force...Navy Seals:))

Beards Galore in the Middle East, some very artistically done, the five o'clock shadow style being very in vogue.

This morning I am sporting the lazy Sunday look but the wife is not impressed.

cockney steve
14th Sep 2008, 16:41
I cant believe what I'm reading here! Ok iv not seen many pilots have breads

Presumably they were the lazy buggers always loafing around :D