PDA

View Full Version : Wanted - Budget Laptop

togaroo
30th May 2001, 16:13
Can anyone advise where I might get a budget laptop for under £400, with the basic features.

ie p100, 32mb RAM, 1Gb HDD, CDROM

or 486, 75 Mhz, 32mb RAM, 550Mb HDD and CD/FDD

I have had a look at Morgan computers and ebay. Any other options?

Want to use it for basic spreadsheet and word processing plus a little web authoring if possible.

Open to suggestions.

ExSimGuy
31st May 2001, 12:09
If nothing doing at Morgan, what about the second-hand market? Don't expect it to be cheap though as even low-spec laptops tend to hold their value.

As for the spec, I use a P133 Dell, with 24Mb of RAM for similar purposes. If I could find some Dell RAM cheap to boost it up it would probably be better, but any fairly recent version of WinDoze, plus Office apps for WP and spreadsheet, are likely to run kinda slowly, likewise FrontPage (unless you are authoring in HTML with a simple text editor)

486? No, I wouldn't, not unless you plan to run Linux!

Good luck

togaroo
31st May 2001, 12:16
Yeah,
I think that I am dreaming a bit - from what I have seen you really need to spend about £400 to get something half decent.

The Chief Financial Controller has her focus on other things (me spending money on an ATPL) so I guess I will keep on dreaming unless I win the lottery - problem is you need to buy a ticket.

Thanks.

spannersatcx
31st May 2001, 20:06
Goto DABS.COM (http://www.dabs.com) and click on the dabsexchange link there are laptops there similar to the spec you said and the price as well.