PDA

View Full Version : Photographic Software

Wiggly Amp
24th Nov 1999, 02:20
Hi Folks

I`m quite keen on scanning, enlarging and printing photos (sad I know). Just wondered if anyone can recommend any real effective and easy to use (numpty proof) software for manipulating photos? Also does anyone which is the best file format for saving images?? I believe JPEG is quite good for compressing file size, unfortunatly some image degradation is experienced.

Thanks Amp

FL310
24th Nov 1999, 04:43
It all depends on what you really want to do.
If it is just scanning, enlarging and printing than the software which will come with your scanner will be more than sufficient.
If you want to go into real photo editing etc.....than join the discussion groups. A phantastic tool is Paintshop Pro. I myself prefer Corel and the annual package of Draw and Photopaint.
If you just want some neat effects, there are plenty of free or shareware programs around which will do what you are looking for.
The Office2000 package has PictureIt included, my slide scanner had PictureIt bundled with it.
My flatbed had PhotoSuite with it.

Obviously you are new to this area of digital reproducing, just find a scanner which suits you and use the package which comes with it. Soon you will find out what you like and what you are missing. Than take the next step.

blackadder
24th Nov 1999, 09:00
Wiggly,
all the UK computer comics have 30 day versions of Paintshop Pro 6 on the cover CDs..
If you can't find the cd, I could post one to you.
Try it out.

Good luck.

Blacksheep
28th Nov 1999, 06:19
Wiggly,

Paintshop Pro is a good way to go for starters; but it sounds like you might get serious, as you are already worried about losing image quality in the compression. Adobe Photoshop is fairly easy to use but has lots of advanced features. In particular, it uses its own format to store images that retains all original scanning data. You then print, save or e-mail in whatever format you choose. The original remains on file with all original data.

------------------

Info noted. Plse report further.

4-Jets
30th Nov 1999, 15:13
Photo Suite 3 has just come out, I am happy with version one :)

------------------
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit

[This message has been edited by 4-Jets (edited 30 November 1999).]

Feline
30th Nov 1999, 22:49
Wiggly,

My scanner came with a copy of Adobe Photo Deluxe. Looks like it does most of the things you want - for example, you can take out flash red eye. Probably a bit cheaper and a lot less complicated to use than Adobe Photoshop. Works for me! As usual with Adobe, the documentation is p*ss poor - but there is a Dummies Guide to Photo Deluxe (don't know what I'd do without 'em!)which gives some good explanations about the pros and cons of various formats - I found it very useful.

Have fun!

------------------
Feline
(I Sit, I Watch, I Smile)

InFinRetirement
1st Dec 1999, 01:35
Wiggly! Pssst. Don't tell anyone else about this but Photoshop 5 with its upgrade is just about as brilliant as you can get BUT.....here the "catch" it runs normally at about £499!!!

You can do just about anything with and you do not require the best scanner in the world. I use a UMAX Astra 610P. No problem

Wiggly Amp
1st Dec 1999, 02:56
Thanx for all your advice. Now waiting for arrival of new Epson scanner. Still made no decision on software as yet. Tried local shops for computer comics adorned with Paintshop Pro 6 trial version, no luck, may take you up on your offer blackadder.

Printer and photo paper at the ready for churning out alsorts of s##te

------------------