PDA

View Full Version : "Involving the public"...now it's the turn of Road signs

Krystal n chips
13th Sep 2008, 07:23
This should be fun then !.....if it actually happens and isn't the usual cosmetic excercise of course.

BBC NEWS | UK | Road signs to come under review (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7613458.stm)

I do like the bit about "improving traffic flow" and "more up to date information" etc ....this concept is very admirable of course....just one tiny flaw as ever......the illiterate incompetents in the Highways Agency :mad: will have to be educated accordingly...this may take some time therefore. :E.....and is unlikely to happen during this millenium.

Standard Noise
13th Sep 2008, 09:25
Aren't signs like that just distracting us from the business at hand, ie driving?
Who are these numpties?
And who the **** is Rosie Winterton, doesn't she write trashy chick novels?

henry crun
13th Sep 2008, 09:35
I believe this one is under review.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/crun9/oldbollockroad1.jpg

Standard Noise
13th Sep 2008, 09:37
Isn't that the new sign for Downing St?

frostbite
13th Sep 2008, 13:07
Is that a picture of Scrotum? (a wrinkled retainer)

Two's in
13th Sep 2008, 15:42
Maybe I am overthinking this (what are the chances?) but the Matrix display sign on the BBC article that says ;

THINK
3 POINTS & 60
INSURANCE UP
EXPENSIVE CALL

..contains no logical syntax or structure, combines numerical and linguistic elements, and so requires the reader (ie. the motorist on a cell phone) to perfom exactly the same kind of mental processing (and hence major distraction) that using a cell phone does!

Surely a big round sign with a cell phone graphic crossed with a red diagonal line would be a far more effective message, after all it's worked since 1904.

ATNotts
13th Sep 2008, 17:20
Surely a big round sign with a cell phone graphic crossed with a red diagonal line would be a far more effective message, after all it's worked since 1904..

If only it did - problem is that "my call" is so important is can't wait, so I am justified in ignoring the law, momentarilly losing concentration on the road, and killing "x" number of innocent people.

You can put as many so called usefull messages on these matrix signs, but most of us seem to think that for our own selfish reasons they can be ignored or flouted at will.

BladePilot
13th Sep 2008, 17:33
Bugger,
I just missed an important call whilst trying to read that damn sign:)

The Flying Pram
13th Sep 2008, 17:58
Since when have the powers that be wanted to improve the traffic flow? It would encourage people to use their cars more, and we don't want that to happen, do we! Virtually every traffic scheme I've seen involves reducing the number of lanes, and tinkering with traffic light sequences to further impede the flows. Another beef of mine is badly designed and laid out roundabouts. Lane discipline is pretty poor anyway, but now there are numerous reasons to give up completely, all of which further reduces the flow of traffic. A six figure sum was spent nearby to mark out cycle lanes on both sides of a main road leading in/out of the city. I can't think of a single time I have actually seen them being used by a cyclist, indeed the local campaigner says she won't use them because it's too dangerous!

BladePilot
13th Sep 2008, 18:32
And what are QBC's (Bus lanes) all about? haven't they recently figured out that buses cause more pollution per bum carried than a small car and that QBC's actually cause cars to produce more pollution because they crawl along, stop - start, bumper to bumper whilst the lane on their left sits empty for so much of the time?

once saw a sign which said 'chips on road' some thoughtful person had added 'fish n' almost left the road for laughing!

Overdrive
13th Sep 2008, 18:45
I wouldn't hold your breath for anything worthwhle to result; it's just more balls.

Whenever the "involving" thing is done, it's mostly in hope that an amount of people will suggest and hence "confirm" what is already being considered, just a way of gauging opinion.

Pull 'em all down I say, and go back to basics. What was wrong before?

merlinxx
13th Sep 2008, 20:42
Thanks, I've spent many happy hours searching for 'Loose Chippings 1/2 mile' Where the **** is loose chippings?

uffington sb
13th Sep 2008, 20:44
BBC NEWS | England | Norfolk | Road sign is normal for Norfolk (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/norfolk/7593678.stm)

And now road signs in Norfolkese.

Imagine what fun we could have with dialect road signs.:):):)

Rightbase
13th Sep 2008, 21:21
Fire all the people who don't actually DO anything.

Taxes decimated. Everything still gets done. Simple.

frostbite
13th Sep 2008, 22:41
The signs that say HEAVY PLANT CROSSING always bring a mental vision of an elderly oak struggling to cross the road.

Or maybe a Triffid.

Desert Dingo
13th Sep 2008, 23:17
http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/d.dingo/Sign.jpg

ShyTorque
14th Sep 2008, 00:42
There are a lot of silly signs near here which declare "Beware opposite way traffic in centre of road".

Why don't they put up some signs facing the other way saying "Don't drive in centre of road"?

asiaseen
14th Sep 2008, 02:14
I was recently back in the UK for the first time for five years and I was staggered at the proliferation of (usually) unnecessary signage, in particular, big arrows indication a bend (frequently minor) in the road. Surely the lack of carriageway directly ahead should suggest to anyone with half a brain that they are going to have to tweak the steering wheel a touch?

One other one which puzzled me, given the increasing propensity for creating shrines at the scenes of fatal accidents, is the words "Better Late" over a bunch of flowers. Until my daughter explained it to me, I assumed it was an official campaign to reduce congestion by encouraging drivers to join the Great Traffic Jam in the Sky.

Krystal n chips
14th Sep 2008, 08:46
Now this is much more like it re. "involving the public".....sounds soooo much better than, lets see ...mass surviellance after all.

Speed cameras to get longer reach - Times Online (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/crime/article4748841.ece)

Anway, with the reduction in superflous road signs, and the infallible accuracy of the HA info:yuk:...clearly these measures will free up drivers concentration levels......

All we need to do now is remove about 99.99% of the "essential extras" that manufacturers feel evey car must have..and which, I long felt, are more distracting than any exterior influences.This would be a more realistic approach and thus will never happen.

DON T
14th Sep 2008, 09:08
Get rid of the signs on the back window of cars that say 'CHILD ON BOARD'.

The way some of the drivers drive, the sign should be on the front window.:ugh:

BladePilot
14th Sep 2008, 10:18
anyone else get frustrated with the way they use programmable motorway signs?

'check your speed'
'check your fuel'
'check your tyre pressures' how the **** do you do that without pulling over (unless you are fat b***** rich enough to have a car with tyre pressure sensors)?
'keep your distance'
'is your seatbelt fastened'

Bugger I just hit the stationary car under the sign because I was checking my fly zipper as instructed by the sign!

what next
'he's behind youuuuuu'!!!
'did you have a s*** this morning'!!!

in the UAE they are now posting minimum speed limits on the motorways makes for great entertainement watching the police chasing someone at 30mph to pull them over and nick them for driving slowly!

Lon More
14th Sep 2008, 10:23
http://www.funnyandjokes.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/funny-traffic-sign.jpg

http://bp3.blogger.com/_-bYaXed-rQU/R1b2WOc_MfI/AAAAAAAAAIc/mh-9ANgyFm4/s400/religious-traffic-sign.jpg

James 1077
14th Sep 2008, 11:44
Get rid of the signs on the back window of cars that say 'CHILD ON BOARD'.

The point of the child on board signs is so that, if there is an accident, the emergency services / first people on the scene know that there is a child strapped into a car seat in the car and will therefore rescue them first.

future.boeing.cpt
14th Sep 2008, 11:56
I hope this 'new technology' doesn't end in...

http://www.blamonet.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/normal_31337_hax.jpg

:ok:

frostbite
14th Sep 2008, 13:01
"The point of the child on board signs is so that, if there is an accident, the emergency services / first people on the scene know that there is a child strapped into a car seat in the car and will therefore rescue them first."

Except, since the child is not a permanent fixture in the car, they are an irrelevant nuisance.

saphena
14th Sep 2008, 13:24
"The point of the child on board signs is so that, if there is an accident, the emergency services / first people on the scene know that there is a child strapped into a car seat in the car and will therefore rescue them first."

I'd like to think that anyone savvy enough to be first responders would be able to spot a child all by themselves.

I think the real reason is that the real message "distracted person at the wheel" is just too blunt for some people.

Lon More
14th Sep 2008, 14:42
first people on the scene know that there is a child strapped into a car seat in the car and will therefore rescue them first.

Then take the sticker out when the child isn't there. I hope some poor sod never loses his life in a burning car because of your stupidity.

Overdrive
14th Sep 2008, 17:07

Where is that said? Maybe applied twenty years later by someone trying to find a reason for them. They are no more than a pointless silly accessory.

BladePilot
14th Sep 2008, 18:05
Images of Fireman at the scene asking each other:

Fireman 1 'is that a child or a small adult'

Fireman 2 'don't know there isn't a sign in the window':)

henry crun
14th Sep 2008, 23:02
All the more reason to do as I have done.

Switch on your printer and print in large black capitals "NO BABY ON BOARD".

Now fix that in your rear screen with sellotape, and if you are involved in an accident the rescue services will know they have to deal with you first.

ShyTorque
14th Sep 2008, 23:13
I think the earlier logic behind the "Baby on board" window sticker was to alert rescuers that a child might have been thrown clear and needs finding.

The missing child, of course, would presumably have been thrown clear through a broken window (taking away the sticker....?).

I would think the fact that the mandatory child seat ought to be a fairly big clue (in Uk) that a child might have been on board, especially if the child is still in it.

is the words "Better Late" over a bunch of flowers

Last time I saw this I remembered about someone's forgotten birthday :eek:

Leezyjet
15th Sep 2008, 00:18
They could do with some signs on the motorway saying :-

"get out of the f:mad:ing middle lane"

or on Roundabouts saying :-

"Use your f:mad:ing indicators"

Stuck in outside lane on M25 today, with inside lane empty for at least 3/4 mile with a 125/250cc Motorbike with 2 on it crawling along the middle lane !! :mad: Then finally come off at my junction and at the roundabout, 99% of people don't use their indicators, then one half wit comes up onto roundabout from the road to the right of me, indicating left, so I naturally assume he is going into the road I'm pulling out of, but no he is actually going straight on - that was followed by the chap in the left hand lane next to me who was actually turning right, again no indicators what so ever !!.

:mad:

BladePilot
15th Sep 2008, 00:37
Leezyjet,
made me chuckle:)

Sounds like you had a 'mare of a drive home! hope you can get to sleep after that:zzz:

How about a motorway sign saying 'check your f:mad:g mirrors'? for all those numpties who never check them and never know there is anyone behind them.

Try driving in the UAE during Ramadan, now that's entertainment!

fireflybob
15th Sep 2008, 03:08
On my frequent journeys to Liverpool via the non motorway route (I only go on the M6 when there is little or nor traffic!) there is a stretch of road which has a proliferation of signs which say:-

High Risk Head On Collision Road (cant recall precise wording)
8 fatalities in the last 5 years
48 casualties in the last x years
etc

Do these signs really cause drivers to alter their driving habits? I am not convinced! So if I have a head on collision they can say, "Well we told you so!".

The motorway sign which always amuses me is "Don't Drive Tired". Little do they realise that they couldnt give drivers a better instruction to do precisely that! If I say to you "Don't think of a pink elephant", probably the first thing you do is to picture a pink elephant!