PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Ike - Houston Tx

helicopter.clay
13th Sep 2008, 01:02
Hey guys, I am a rotorhead, so i know i am in the wrong room:ugh: BUT, I have a flight in to Houston scheduled monday, they shut down KHOU today, how long will commuter flights stay down after a hurricane on average?

Huck
13th Sep 2008, 01:12
I heard that Southwest is hoping to operate there on Monday.

IRISHinUS
13th Sep 2008, 01:28
Well, I can tell you Continental has taken all its aircraft out of Houston (IAH) this afternoon (Fri) and has nothing planned to go in again until Sunday evening but it'll be a mess.

Remember many of the Houston employees (80% of CAL, COEX etc) are staying with their grannies in Austin or wherever so I wouldn't expect there to be anyone turning up for work until Monday. Anyway, Continental, at least, will waive any change fees if you travel by the 24th

There'll be a fair number of airline employees losing their homes tonight.

helicopter.clay
13th Sep 2008, 03:06
That really sucks. I hope everyone ends up ok, i know there will be damage, but hope it will be minimal. appreciate the answers guy. hopefully can still squeeze in on monday

birrddog
13th Sep 2008, 06:52
I was in a Category 1 in Bermuda 2 years ago, the airport was open within 36 hours, though it took AA an additional two days (after the airport was open) to get aircraft back on the island.

They claimed it was due to weather, but that was just a lame excuse given to the ticket office.

It was awesome, clear, sunny skies and I was forced to enjoy the beach for another 2 days, even though other airlines were already operating.

Who knows what excuses they will come up for their scheduling issues...

:ugh:

stixits
13th Sep 2008, 09:47
NWS - National Mosaic Radar Image: Full Resolution Loop (http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_lite_loop.php)

Ike

IRISHinUS
14th Sep 2008, 18:04
Definitely nothing happening 'till tomorrow, Monday. Even then it'll be a reduced schedule - crews have been sitting at outstations for days so everyone will be going home when they get back to IAH.

Seems like some water damage to the terminals and some jetways damaged but the big problem is that nobody can get to the airport with all the flooded roads and such. Apparently no power at the fuel depot either.