PDA

View Full Version : Phones with GPS and not AGPS

planecrazy.eu
12th Sep 2008, 17:38
Hey

I am looking for a new phone...

Can any one tell me which ones have got actual GPS in the phone, as oppose to AGPS which is the one that you have to pay for, or get via the service provider?

I ask this, as i dont want to be tied to a provider for GPS, which AGPS does as far as i can tell as your possition is provider by the mobile provider?

Any help please?

Thanks

Conan The Barber
12th Sep 2008, 18:08
As I understand aGPS it is a GPS with initial position fix assisted by by base station triangulation.

It is supposed to reduce time to first fix and enhance battery life. It should also improve position determination in and around tall structures such as buildings, that would otherwise obstruct the satellite signals.

Coconutty
13th Sep 2008, 08:33
HP ( Formerly Compaq ) do a range of Ipaq's which are a combined PDA ( Mini computer / organiser with MS Word, Excel Outlook etc ), and Mobile Phone, ( Quad band with GPRS / 3G etc ) plus integrated GPS - no fee needed, no external antennae to connect, and can run applications such as TomTom or anything else suitable for Windows Mobile operating system and using the standard GPS protocol ( NMEI )

Different models of Ipaq have different spec's and features - e.g the hw6915 shown below also has Bluetooth, Wif-Fi, and IR connectivity, oh and a 3.1 Mp camera too :ok:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/hw6915.jpg

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d129/coconut11/Coconutty.jpg

aidanf
13th Sep 2008, 10:20
I got the new iPhone 3G yesterday (after having the old one for some time). The GPS seems to work very well on it. Some good apps on itunes as well for it, including 2 pieces of kit that will give you METARs, TAFs, NOTAMs and a lot more (Foreflight & AeroWeather)

SyllogismCheck
15th Sep 2008, 02:16
As previosuly stated, the 'A' in A-GPS just stands for assisted. So long as you select settings which prevent the GPS applications from accessing mobile or data networks, you won't be using the assistance and should incurr no costs. The device will simply function in plain, unassisted GPS mode.

While you're in the settings, make sure you also set them to prevent the downloading of maps across the mobile network. If that starts happening for big chunks of mapping while the phone's roaming you could run up some serious data charges. Download all you need via broadband before travelling.

planecrazy.eu
15th Sep 2008, 11:22
Thanks for all the info...

Very useful, and solved my issues...

vancouv
19th Sep 2008, 10:37
I was having this very discussion in a Vodaphone shop - she told me that things such as Blackberry and iPhones could only use GPS if they did it via the mobile service which meant having a contract which I specifically did not want.

Looks like an iPaq is the answer to my problem as well - and can you just put your Pay-as-you-talk sim card straight into it to continue using your phone without problems?

preduk
20th Sep 2008, 09:37
Vancouv,

Vodafone aren't correct actually. The iPhone will still work without the assistance from the mobile network, it just won't be as accurate (however still accurate).

You could get it pay as you go on O2 and then get a web/wifi bolt on your pay as you go sim which means you have unlimited internet.

planecrazy.eu
20th Sep 2008, 13:23
Hey

I can only confirm what vodaphone said as i tried with my partners iphone and disconnected it from the internet and it didnt work at all...

Doesnt the iphone depend on google maps?

Nice to know how to use the iphone off net, may get one then...

Tone
20th Sep 2008, 13:49
There is a new review of the Nokia 6110 on the pocketgpsworld.com website. It seems to function as a stand alone GPS and OS maps can be loaded. See - Reader Review: Nokia 6110 - ViewRanger OS Mapping

Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras (http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/)

preduk
20th Sep 2008, 15:17
It does, but apparently (rumours) that TomTom are developing software for it, apparently there are a few other updates coming for it but they are just rumours at the moment.